Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Are Storm and Panther Married again?

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 3.39.41 PM.jpg

Is it me or does Shuri looks kinda faded here? Or at least like that emilia clark meme

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

Man that white outfit is stunning
    Looks good but what does Storm mean by her sword?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Well Shuri is supposed to be a teenager/young adult so I'm glad they now draw her looking her age instead of looking like a an older and more sexualised version. Kinda how Jubilee and Cassie lang were supposed to be 13 but artists drew them looking several years older for years.
    Shuri was in her early-mid 20s in that pic. She definitely got aged up in between her first appearance and when she took the mantle but Shuri hasn't been a teenager since the mid 2000s. Even in the preview, she's still in her 20s they just draw her with a lankier frame to reflect the movies. At least that's what I think is going on.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It really isn't. Ororo still hangs around with the women of wakanda because she's nice and has an affinity for them but in truth, her marriage to T'challa is just a blip in her rich life story. She has her own ancestry, family history and upbringing that has nothing to do with Wakanda and the fact that they're starting to erase Ororo real connection to Kenya for a fictional African country is starting to tick me off as an African because it feels like marvel is telling us stories about a fictional Africa are better than stories inspired/about existing African countries. Plus it's starting to feel a bit like these writers view Africa as some sort of monolith, why would Wakanda feel like 'home' to Storm, a Kenyan woman who spent the first 19 years of her life in Egypt. Just because two neighbouring countries have cultural similarities doesn't mean that they're identical or the same to the point where you can swap one for the other.
    They're not "erasing" her connection to Kenya. They're just not utilising it...there's a difference.
    She didn't spend the first 19 years of her life in Egypt. She left at a young age (early adolescent) and made her way across the continent, via the Serengeti to Kenya during which time she encountered the Goddess and "consecrated" her power and saved T'Challa from slavers.
    Kenya does neighbour Uganda where Wakanda is reputed to be located...reputed.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I feel like they did make her look younger. They definitely changed her look to match the MCU
    I'm not sure if it was an MCU thing though. Since Marvel regularly de-ages characters and people are always wondering why some females always gets drawn as teens (Ala Kitty Pryde who gets drawn as a teen on an often basis). Some artists are worse at this than others.

I find it strange that Ororo would fly all the way to Wakanda without knowing T'Challa wasn't there. If they're dating, wouldn't she call him on one of those kimoyo beads or whatever to ask about the blade first? Why fly all the way unannounced and he isn't even there?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    They're not "erasing" her connection to Kenya. They're just not utilising it...there's a difference.
    Not utilising her connection to Kenya and favouring connection to Wakanda instead isn't much different from erasing her connection to Kenya.

She didn't spend the first 19 years of her life in Egypt. She left at a young age (early adolescent) and made her way across the continent, via the Serengeti to Kenya during which time she encountered the Goddess and "consecrated" her power and saved T'Challa from slavers.
    Yes she did spend the first 19 years or of her life in Egypt. Ororo was a young girl living in Egypt when she pickpocketed Xavier by coincidence and the second time they met she's older and he informs her she's a mutant and asks her to join him with the X-men. She didn't roam the Serengeti aimlessly for years after leaving Egypt, she decided to travel to the Serengeti to explore her ancestry and powers and was described as a young woman (meaning late adolescence/early adulthood) when she left Egypt. But she wasn't in Egypt in Giant Size X-men, that was a mistake from my memory.

In a marvel team up from the 80's it was revealed that Storm and T'challa met while they were both travelling the Sereniti and they never had any interactions in comics until the wedding announcement were they retconned that backstory and with Dickey doing a whole lot of nonsense like aging her down to 12 and T'challa being the one who rescued Ororo. Along with the retcon of Ororo "giving her virginity" to T'challa four days after meeting her, I just mostly ignore the retcons marvel made at that time to make it look less like they put their two prominent black characters together as a marketing ploy to target black readership.

Kenya does neighbour Uganda where Wakanda is reputed to be located...reputed.
    Repeating what I said; Just because two neighbouring countries have cultural similarities doesn't mean that they're identical or the same to the point where you can swap one for the other.
    Last edited by frostedemma; 10-01-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I find it strange that Ororo would fly all the way to Wakanda without knowing T'Challa wasn't there. If they're dating, wouldn't she call him on one of those kimoyo beads or whatever to ask about the blade first? Why fly all the way unannounced and he isn't even there?
    They probably have a Krakoan gate in Wakanda. It would be a quick walk for her

Because they're not dating and she's not Wakandan or part of the Dora Milaje/royal family or a teammate so he doesn't have a reason to give her a kimoyo beads since Wakanda is picky about giving their tech no non Wakandans.

Storm lived in Cairo from six months old until about eleven, when she walked to Kenya, where she arrived by age twelve. She was there until Xavier recruited her, let's say, at age 20 or so(based on the sliding timeline). So she split her youth almost evenly between Cairo and Kenya. I imagine her Arabic and Swahili were better than her English by the time she joined the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Wakanda is a non-treaty state, so I don't think they would have a gate.

Wakanda is a non-treaty state, so I don't think they would have a gate.
    They don't have an economic treaty because Wakanda doesn't need medicine from Krakoa but at the Davos meeting they seem to be on friendly terms, not like Russia or Latveria.

Because they're not dating and she's not Wakandan or part of the Dora Milaje/royal family or a teammate so he doesn't have a reason to give her a kimoyo beads since Wakanda is picky about giving their tech no non Wakandans.
    In Coates BP they have been dating and Ororo has been an integral part of their defense in various battles. She is depicted as being in their inner circle(as seen in Shuri's book too, independent of T'Challa's presence). Hickman even subtly acknowledged their relationship in issue 4's economic summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Wakanda doesn't have a gate because according to them they have no need for the mutant medicine.