Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Warpath (James Proudstar)- The Apache powerhouse appreciation 2020

James Proudstar was born in Camp Verde, Arizona. His mother was exposed to nuclear fallout by a nearby government test and as a result both her children were born mutants. James grew up idolizing his older brother, John, when left the reservation to join the Marines for two years and then joins the Uncanny X-Men as Thunderbird. Unfortunately John dies on his second mission attempting to stop Count Neferia (now that is a subtle villain name) and James vows vengeance against the man who recruited his brother, Charles Xavier. He kidnaps a retired Banshee (Sean Cassidy) to lure Xavier in to avenge John but cannot do so. He even saves fallen X-Men, Wolverine and Kitty Pryde, from death from nerve gas exposure and is asked to join the X-Men. James refuses but eventually joins Emma Frost, Hellions. He leaves that team and eventually joins X-Force and his adventures as a hero truly begin.

James' original look as part or the Hellions:

It seems years after Dave Cochrum and Len Wein kill Thunderbird, Chris Clairmont basically brings him back in the form of his little brother James Proudstar. I say this since they both had the same powerset when James was first introduced. I personally have always felt that Warpath has barely been used to his full potential as an Marvel Universe X-Men character. His power combination of strength, speed, agility and fighting ability should make him a frighteningly formidable opponent. Imagine a character as strong as a young Colossus, that can run somewhere from 50 to 100 mph, is skilled to go one on one with Wolverine when he was young coming at you with vibranium knives. Most writers just use him as a super strong character but his power set is much more diverse.

Warpath's physical characteristics:

•Height: 7'2
    •Weight: 350 lbs.
    •Eyes: Black
    •Hair: Black

So let appreciate this character that is often overlooked and underutilized!!!!
    Last edited by taozen; 03-28-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    James Proudstar was born in Camp Verde, Arizona. His mother was exposed to nuclear fallout by a nearby government test and as a result both her children were born mutants. James grew up idolizing his older brother, Jimmy, when left the reservation to join the Marines for two years and then joins the Uncanny X-Men as Thunderbird. Unfortunately Jimmy dies on his second mission attempting to stop Count Neferia (now that is a subtle villain name) and James vows vengeance against the man who recruited his brother, Charles Xavier. He kidnaps a retired Banshee (Sean Cassidy) to lure Xavier in to avenge Jimmy but cannot do so. He even saves fallen X-Men, Wolverine and Kitty Pryde, from death from nerve gas exposure and is asked to join the X-Men. James refuses but eventually joins Emma Frost, Hellions. He leaves that team and eventually joins X-Force and his adventures as a hero truly begin.

It seems years after Dave Cochrum and Len Wein kill Thunderbird, Chris Clairmont basically brings him back in the form of his little brother James Proudstar. I say this since they both had the same powerset when James was first introduced. I personally have always felt that Warpath has barely been used to his full potential as an Marvel Universe X-Men character. His power combination of strength, speed, agility and fighting ability should make him a frighteningly formidable opponent. Imagine a character as strong as a young Colossus, that can run somewhere from 50 to 100 mph, is skilled to go one on one with Wolverine when he was young coming at you with vibranium knives. Most writers just use him as a super strong character but his power set is much more diverse.
    ‪‪I love the Proudstars. One point, Warpath/James *IS* Jimmy. Jimmy is short for James and what his friends in the first X-Force referred to him as, especially Siryn. His older brother, the first Thunderbird, is named John, not Jimmy.

And while I know what you mean about his original appearances, he's become very much his own character. He has his own unique motivations, backstory, and even powers, since over time James not only gre much bigger, stronger, tougher and faster than John was, but able to fly at supersonic speeds.

Thoughts on him going back to the name Thunderbird?

"Warpath" is a great name, but it's really violent for a character that has Avengers potential.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

"Warpath" is a great name, but it's really violent for a character that has Avengers potential.
    i like Warpath but I also remember that alternate name that was alluded to in x-force. I want to say it was Pride Walker.

Proudstar would be a great code name too.

He is definitely one of my favorites and I hope he can start to be featured more. So much untapped potential and I need him and Risque need to be feature in some storylines soon.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

With the Krakoan status quo I'd think that John has dibs on the Thunderbird name.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    ‪‪I love the Proudstars. One point, Warpath/James *IS* Jimmy. Jimmy is short for James and what his friends in the first X-Force referred to him as, especially Siryn. His older brother, the first Thunderbird, is named John, not Jimmy.

And while I know what you mean about his original appearances, he's become very much his own character. He has his own unique motivations, backstory, and even powers, since over time James not only gre much bigger, stronger, tougher and faster than John was, but able to fly at supersonic speeds.
    Thanks for catching that. I meant John/Johnny.
    Last edited by taozen; 03-28-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Mighty Member

Is James a regular on any current X-title?

Mighty Member

With the Krakoan status quo I'd think that John has dibs on the Thunderbird name.
    Do you think that one of current writers will bring John back from the dead?

Spectacular Member

Thanks for catching that. I meant John/Johnny.
    No problem! Their names are so similar, and John also goes by Johnny, and James by Jimmy, so it's an easy thing to get confused.

Is James a regular on any current X-title?
    He's not at present. But he appeared briefly in a group scene in X-Force 2.
    ETbvq0kUcAAWt3E.jpg

Do you think that one of current writers will bring John back from the dead?
    Both Xavier in story, and Hickman in interviews, has said they're bringing every deceased Mutant back, and we've already seen Sway and Petra from the Deadly Genesis team are back, and they died before John, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to be brought back either.

‪‪In fact, ‪‪I think he's back already, and pretty sure that's meant to be him in the latest issue of X-Force in the Green Lagoon with his arm on Psylocke/Kwannon's back.
    ETa84D5UMAAgvHv.jpg

Mighty Member

No problem! Their names are so similar, and John also goes by Johnny, and James by Jimmy, so it's an easy thing to get confused.

He's not at present. But he appeared briefly in a group scene in X-Force 2.
    ETbvq0kUcAAWt3E.jpg

Both Xavier in story, and Hickman in interviews, has said they're bringing every deceased Mutant back, and we've already seen Sway and Petra from the Deadly Genesis team are back, and they died before John, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to be brought back either.

‪‪In fact, ‪‪I think he's back already, and pretty sure that's meant to be him in the latest issue of X-Force in the Green Lagoon with his arm on Psylocke/Kwannon's back.
    ETa84D5UMAAgvHv.jpg
    If writers use Johnny in stories, and I hope they due, I want them to differentiate his powers from James'. While Warpath is super strong with more straight lined speed due to his sheer bulk; Johnny should be faster, way more agile but not as strong. Give him abilities similar to say Cap and Black Panther but way stronger than them. Maybe a quarter to half as strong as his little brother. He should be the lightening to James' thunder. Ironic I know.

Ultimate Member

James has always been one of my favorites, would love to see he and Siryn be together...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    i like Warpath but I also remember that alternate name that was alluded to in x-force. I want to say it was Pride Walker.

Proudstar would be a great code name too.

He is definitely one of my favorites and I hope he can start to be featured more. So much untapped potential and I need him and Risque need to be feature in some storylines soon.
    Here is one of the best Warpath covers with Risqué:

Mighty Member

In terms of combat skills, Warpath is better than the majority of powerhouses who mostly rely on their strength. Here he is sparring with Shatterstar where he gets the upper hand utilizing skill and not brute strength:

Yes I agree with you regarding Warpath (James Proudstar) and Siryn (Theresa Cassidy) getting together. I have been a fan of both of them since their early days in X-Force. I enjoyed their chemistry as first teammates and then best friends (James helping and supporting Theresa with her alcoholism problem), but never got together as a romantic couple which I hope they would have. Throughout the years, many writers forgot to shown their interaction when James and Theresa were on different teams: James in X-Force and X-Men and Theresa in X-Factor. Since the Krakoa island nation was created, I am still waiting to see James and Theresa talking again and hope to see them become a romantic couple this time. Remember Banshee (Sean Cassidy) Theresa's father use to say that Thunderbird (John Proudstar) James' brother were best friends in X-Men........

Mighty Member

Warpath's tracking skill: In this page he states that he, Old Man Logan and Sabretooth are the 3 greatest mutant trackers in the world and he shows up Sabretooth with his skill: