Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Honestly, that sounds exactly like something somebody in a comic would say.

I’m a long time Tim Drake fan. The first three Batman comics I ever bought were the 3 part “Shadow Box” arc in issues 467-469, which was a follow up arc to Tim’s first miniseries. I was 11 when Tim’s ongoing series started, and it was my favorite series all thru the rest of the 90s, above all the other Bat books.

I love “Drake” as Tim’s new code name. It really is so simple, “it’s right there”! Drake is a name that can be uniquely his and his alone. His entire career to date, he’s had “hand me down” code names.

As for complaints that the name “Drake” won’t scare criminals, really? As opposed to “Robin”?
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Honestly reading the issue I think the name is kinda perfect. And it’s very clearly Tims and keeps with the bird theme of the sidekicks. Great stuff. My concern now is the costume, but I’ll wait till I can see it in the book in action

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not concerned about the codename also being his real name. Like, who'd going to think of that? It's about as likely as someone saying "Y'know what? I bet the Flash was called "Flash" back in high school! I'm gonna dig through Central City yearbooks until I find someone who's nickname and chin fits the theory!"
    That people wouldn't think of it because it's such an inherently ridiculous idea doesn't really sell me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    So....who guessed "Drake" first?
    Damian Wayne. He guessed it and has been saying it from the 1st day he met Tim.

If he wants to be "the most dangerous bird" he should call himself "The Cassowary!"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...?noredirect=on

Arsenal
    Honestly, that sounds exactly like something somebody in a comic would say.
    ......that's a good point.

Well, hey, there's a story hook!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That people wouldn't think of it because it's such an inherently ridiculous idea doesn't really sell me on it.
    >shrug< I mean, I'm not in love with the name either, but it's way better than a lot of possible options they could've gone with.

I think this might maybe possibly kinda-sorta actually have some staying power and last as Tim's new hero name long-term. Or at least as long-term as things in comics get anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

My prediction is that it's a stepping stone to losing the secret identity all together. Eventually he'll just be a quasi-retired crimefighter who becomes a PI/Detective for hire without the mask.

I mean... I know he doesn't have much in the way of supporting cast and all... but you'd think that after his father was murdered because someone knew he was Robin would make him think twice before just using his name... but y'know... comics. Add in Bendis isn't known for logical character based decisions when they oppose his 'this would be COOL!' mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    >shrug< I mean, I'm not in love with the name either, but it's way better than a lot of possible options they could've gone with.

I think this might maybe possibly kinda-sorta actually have some staying power and last as Tim's new hero name long-term. Or at least as long-term as things in comics get anyway.
    I just think it's weird to talk about staying power when it's his actual name already. It's like a non-codename by that logic.

It's like if Dick's codename was actually "Grayson."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Man, this has to be an annual tradition at this point.
    2. It was generally accepted that Drake moved on from the Robin moniker. Having him back in the role is like having adult Dick Grayson back in the role of the boy wonder, or having adult Wally West back in the role of Kid Flash. It's just a little odd.

Fantastic Member

IMO, "Drake" works fairly well if we leverage Tim's role as the next "Great Detective" (intel, investigation and planning) rather than as an overt hero. Two of my favorite parts of Tim's pre-Nu52 arc were the time that he took down Lady Shiva via pre-planned poison-dosing and his conflict with Ra's where the latter referred to him as "Detective" highlighting that he sees Drake as an intellectual equal of Bruce and perhaps himself.

Honestly though, I'm more excited by the potential new ID for Conner than I never was for Tim's. After all, "Red Robin" made have been a little lame, but it more or less worked.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    My prediction is that it's a stepping stone to losing the secret identity all together. Eventually he'll just be a quasi-retired crimefighter who becomes a PI/Detective for hire without the mask.

I mean... I know he doesn't have much in the way of supporting cast and all... but you'd think that after his father was murdered because someone knew he was Robin would make him think twice before just using his name... but y'know... comics. Add in Bendis isn't known for logical character based decisions when they oppose his 'this would be COOL!' mentality.
    That never happened to this this Tim Drake. he's folks are still alive and asked Bruce to look after him so it's not that stupid an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    IMO, "Drake" works fairly well if we leverage Tim's role as the next "Great Detective" (intel, investigation and planning) rather than as an overt hero. Two of my favorite parts of Tim's pre-Nu52 arc were the time that he took down Lady Shiva via pre-planned poison-dosing and his conflict with Ra's where the latter referred to him as "Detective" highlighting that he sees Drake as an intellectual equal of Bruce and perhaps himself.

Honestly though, I'm more excited by the potential new ID for Conner than I never was for Tim's. After all, "Red Robin" made have been a little lame, but it more or less worked.
    Again the thing with Ra's never happened and it's tedious and frustrating how little so called comic fans actually know.

highlighting that he sees Drake as an intellectual equal of Bruce and perhaps himself. Just to drop some knowledge Ra's called Dick detective twice before the now retconed RR solo series. he fully accepted him as an equal

Ra's is shortly going to be courting Duke Thomas. I'm expecting him to call him detective as well since Duke is an actual meta Detective who has gone up against the Riddler before he was even a Teen.

Your resident Tim Drake expert and fact checker at your service

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That never happened to this this Tim Drake. he's folks are still alive and asked Bruce to look after him so it's not that stupid an idea.
    Are they? I know N52 wise they were, but I think Superman Reborn retconned that into bringing back Lonely Place of Dying. No idea if Jack is alive or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Are they? I know N52 wise they were, but I think Superman Reborn retconned that into bringing back Lonely Place of Dying. No idea if Jack is alive or not though.
    Tim got some of his origin back in ALPOL [a modified version I might add] but that didn't see how that change's Dick finding Tim's folks. Superman Reborn didn't Tim never getting adopted or being a member of the new52 TT. I mean Tim being a ward was from the new52.

Lots of stuff is unclear but Bruce not adopting Tim, Red Robin's events never happening, tim's age and length of serve are all we know for certain about tim. Along with the fact that he is a mix of pre 52 and new 52 with new elements added.

If Tim's folks passed on Bruce would adopt him like he did with the other orphan boys but instead he didn't [maybe Bruce secretly hates 90's kids since he didn't adopt Cass either]. he's a ward which only happened when his folks were in WP their last status quo as of Rebirth.