Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I saw someone pitching the idea of making Lois a secret agent. Dunno how I feel about that, I can definitely see some potential there.
    I think it's problematic in two ways. Firstly, (fictional, investigative) reporters uncover and bring secrets to light, and secret agents keep secrets. Which goes to the second part - like it or not, Lois butting heads with her dad is revealing those secrets, government secrets at times. That goes away with secret agents. Secret agents don't do what's right, they do what serves their government's desires. Though I suppose the fictional version can be a lot more good v. evil. But I admit, I am wedded to reporter.

Lois as a secret agent reminds me of Jimmy in Red Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lois as a secret agent reminds me of Jimmy in Red Son.
    That’s probably where the idea came from. If I had to pick a career for her myself besides journalism, I’d probably chose law. Make her a public defender or a prosecutor and make Clark a lawyer as well.

If I had to pick a career for her myself besides journalism, I’d probably chose law. Make her a public defender
    As coincidence would have it, public defender was my choice of reinvention for Sam Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    As coincidence would have it, public defender was my choice of reinvention for Sam Lane.
    Would he be pro or anti-Superman in your reinvention? I’m a fan of antagonistic Sam Lane, I know some hate that but I generally enjoy it. I know others see it as just making him a Ross ripoff but I’m a huge Hulk fan so it’s not a negative in my eyes.

Would he be pro or anti-Superman in your reinvention? I’m a fan of antagonistic Sam Lane, I know some hate that but I generally enjoy it. I know others see it as just making him a Ross ripoff but I’m a huge Hulk fan so it’s not a negative in my eyes.
    Now I'm imagining Sam Lane in court arguing that Superman's arrests shouldn't count because he didn't mirandize his client .

Now I'm imagining Sam Lane in court arguing that Superman's arrests shouldn't count because he didn't mirandize his client .
    Yup, stuff like that.

Sam and Supes would butt heads a lot. A bunch of Sam's clients would be low-level crooks Superman brought in, and it would be Sam's job to undermine Superman in court and in public whenever it serves his clients. Philosophically, they'd disagree on various things so Sam would be a thorn in Supes' side for a lot of things, but occasionally they could find common ground.

Yup, stuff like that.

Sam and Supes would butt heads a lot. A bunch of Sam's clients would be low-level crooks Superman brought in, and it would be Sam's job to undermine Superman in court and in public whenever it serves his clients. Philosophically, they'd disagree on various things so Sam would be a thorn in Supes' side for a lot of things, but occasionally they could find common ground.
    I'm oddly reminded of that DA character who was Clark's love interest for five minutes on Lois and Clark who also didn't like Superman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That’s probably where the idea came from. If I had to pick a career for her myself besides journalism, I’d probably chose law. Make her a public defender or a prosecutor and make Clark a lawyer as well.
    I'm into this idea for Lois.

I'm oddly reminded of that DA character who was Clark's love interest for five minutes on Lois and Clark who also didn't like Superman.
    Oh yeah, that Mason Drake character... Farrah Forke has two Superman credits to her resume.

I'm not a fan of the Thunderbolt Ross take on Sam Lane. I think his character can use a rehabilitation, or at least some sprucing up. I like the idea that he and Superman would both be fighting for the little guy. One of my best friends married a public defender, and I can say just by reading her blog posts I gained a lot of respect for the profession (and her) since it's really an unglamorous job. There are a ton of TV shows about DA's, and private legal counsel, but not a lot about Public Defenders (which kind of mirrors real life public investment). Plus, if Superman is going to match wits with Sam, I'd rather it be over philosophical things like criminal justice. The two could learn from one another.

EDIT: Or I should say Forke had two different roles in DC-related TV shows. And heck, she got to flirt with a Superman actor in two shows, including Wings. Had ample opportunities to recreate Sleez's work on the small screen...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 10-29-2020 at 08:04 PM.

I’m too fond of antagonistic Sam Lane to want that, but you know what? Next time they start from scratch with an Elseworld take or reboot the mainline or whatever, I’m in favor of using that idea for Lois’ mom (Ella Lane I think her name is?). We know barely anything about her other than she died, I say next time keep her alive and make her Metropolis’ premiere public defender and give her the relationship with Clark you’re describing. That could be interesting.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Oh yeah, that Mason Drake character... Farrah Forke has two Superman credits to her resume.

I'm not a fan of the Thunderbolt Ross take on Sam Lane. I think his character can use a rehabilitation, or at least some sprucing up. I like the idea that he and Superman would both be fighting for the little guy. One of my best friends married a public defender, and I can say just by reading her blog posts I gained a lot of respect for the profession (and her) since it's really an unglamorous job. There are a ton of TV shows about DA's, and private legal counsel, but not a lot about Public Defenders (which kind of mirrors real life public investment). Plus, if Superman is going to match wits with Sam, I'd rather it be over philosophical things like criminal justice. The two could learn from one another.

EDIT: Or I should say Forke had two different roles in DC-related TV shows. And heck, she got to flirt with a Superman actor in two shows, including Wings. Had ample opportunities to recreate Sleez's work on the small screen...
    I hate the Thunderbolt Ross take on Sam Lane, too. You can easily have a Thunderbolt character in the Superman world without it being Lois's father.

I like the idea of Sam Lane as a public defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I hate the Thunderbolt Ross take on Sam Lane, too. You can easily have a Thunderbolt character in the Superman world without it being Lois's father.

I like the idea of Sam Lane as a public defender.
    Does it being Lois' father make such a difference?

I guess it then gets into whether you change a character's profession, does it change the very essence of that character? Would public defender Sam Lane still be as controlling and obsessed with Lois being the son he never had?

Does it being Lois' father make such a difference?

I guess it then gets into whether you change a character's profession, does it change the very essence of that character? Would public defender Sam Lane still be as controlling and obsessed with Lois being the son he never had?
    Well that attitude with Sam is part of the “Ross-ing” of his character. Lois’ relationship with her father is similar to Betty’s (although Betty’s arguments with her father revolved entirely around Bruce, whereas Lois is established to have been estranged from her father long before she even met Clark). But it’s not like the relationship between lawyers and the press can be any less adversarial than between reporters and the military (everyone hates reporters when the news decides they’re of interest, part of the job).

Well that attitude with Sam is part of the “Ross-ing” of his character. Lois’ relationship with her father is similar to Betty’s (although Betty’s arguments with her father revolved entirely around Bruce, whereas Lois is established to have been estranged from her father long before she even met Clark). But it’s not like the relationship between lawyers and the press can be any less adversarial than between reporters and the military (everyone hates reporters when the news decides they’re of interest, part of the job).
    There is Lucy to throw a different dynamic in to the mix.