Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Why do people hate on DC You, wasn't it mostly good conten

Hello, I've been kind of curious recently why everyone has been hating on the DC You. I really enjoyed pretty much every book that launched with DC You. While I realize they were not sales sensations, there were a lot of fun books.
    All of these were pretty great:
    Starfire
    Black Canary
    Martian Manhunter
    We are Robin
    Robin son of batman
    Midnighter
    Omega Men
    Prez
    Bizarro
    And I'm sure there are many others that I didn't mention. Is it mostly due to the sad state of dcs flagship books? Meaning superman, GL, Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I agree that those were all in a bad shape.

Also why are people giving DC so much crap about Rebirth. I feel like marvel relaunches like every couple years. DC at least made it 5.

It produced good new content. The "big change" required to the vast majority of already existing content crashed and burned.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Omega Men and Martian Manhunter are both fantastic books with Omega Men probably the best book i am reading right now.

I still have We Are Robin and Robin Son of Batman on my pull, They are good enough but could be better.

I tried Doctor Fate and Black Canary and couldn't get into them

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Midnighter is my favorite book right now, so I love it. But at the same time, the main properties status quo is shot.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't ''hate'' the DC You thing. Haven't been completely impressed by it but I don't hate it. I mean anything that gives me the pleasure of reading Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti's ''Starfire'' is never a completely bad thing in my opinion

I've also enjoyed Black Canary for the most part, the only thing I've never been completely convinced about the book is the art and that's mainly when Annie Wu does it but I enjoy it for the most part.

I don't read the rest of the books you listed OP because I had no interest in them, though I would've given Dr. Light a chance had it had better art work, Black Canary's art work hasn't always been that great but I care a lot more about Black Canary than Dr Light LOL, so I can't comment on the quality or lack of in those books.

BANNED

A lot of the DCYou books were awesome imo: Books like Doctor Fate, Prez, Omega Men, We Are Robin, Bizarro, Bat-Mite & Midnighter. They were bold moves, but maybe they didn't have the right timing.

DCYou was awesome imo. But I think sales is definitely an issue (readers care a lot about them for whatever reason, maybe cause it means their books will be cancelled, and retailers still control a lot of the conversations), plus the A-listers have all been brutal for a bit now.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I have been reading these from the start:

Cyborg
    Doctor Fate
    Midnighter
    Green Lantern Lost Army
    Martian Manhunter
    Omega Men
    Robin Son of Batman

Cyborg, Midnighter, Lost Army and MMH were my favourites.

Honestly the vibe I got was that people were pissed off about the changes to the big characters like the Trinity and subsequently wouldn't even give some of the lesser known stuff chance, which was a shame.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It produced good new content. The "big change" required to the vast majority of already existing content crashed and burned.
    I guess I mostly agree with this.

I have LOVED nearly all of the new books from DCYou, but the some of the New 52 books that were good prior to DCYou kind of fell flat. The Superman books being in constant crossover mode was a bad decision. As much as I love Snyder, Gordon has been Batman for too long. Wonder Woman's book sucks. All the bug guns kind of fell in quality, to varying degrees. Grayson and Batgirl (and I'm probably missing some) stayed good though.

On the other hand, Black Canary, Prez, Omega Men, Bizarro, Robin Son of Batman, Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, Dr Fate, and We Are Robin have been awesome.

I've enjoyed Midnighter and Martian Manhunter and pretty bummed out about their sales. I can understand Midnighter being a niche market. There was alot of dating and could possibly make some readers put off by it...kind of like the Netflix Show Sense8.

Starfire: I read the first three issues and was bored to tears. Nothing happened.

Black Canary: Instead of BC doing a few jobs for the Government for cash she decides to go on tour with a band? This is your premise? Also not a fan of the art.

We are Robin: Duke is the biggest Mary Sue DC has currently. He doesn't have to do anything yet people just give him stuff. Hey, here's a motorcycle, here's Robin clothing, a cell phone and a place to sleep. Just be awesome and we will continue to give you anything you need. Don't earn it. Don't work hard, just be Duke. And, it turns out, you're a natural leader! Who knew?

Omega Men: Art is terrible. I can see why it's selling at 8K.

Dr Fate: Art is terrible and storyline dragged. I made it to issue four.

I just don't think they tried very hard with this batch of books in general. Editorial found some pretty terrible artist for the most part and accepted pretty lame plots as scripts.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Incredible Member

The only book I stuck with was Starfire. Some of them I read for a few issues and they were ok but I dropped after a few issues.

BANNED

some new books were good, it just didn't catched on readers.

but the big ones WW,superman, GL, flash, aquaman were pretty bad directions

While a lot of it is great (Omega Men is the best thing DC is putting out right now, and I've thoroughly enjoyed Midnighter, Doctor Fate, Robin: Son of Batman, Constantine: The Hellblazer, and even Batman Beyond), all those books mean nothing to a lot of people who just focus on the big leagues, and for them, it was entirely middling to poor changes(Batman seems to have fared the best thanks to Synder, Superman has had a real rough time with all the crossover killing any chance for the writers to put there stamp on the book, nobody seems to be talking much about Flash, Green Lantern, and Cyborg, and Wonder Woman and Aquaman both got pretty negative responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Omega Men: Art is terrible. I can see why it's selling at 8K.

Dr Fate: Art is terrible and storyline dragged. I made it to issue four.
    Everyone has their own tastes when it comes to art, but man oh man do I love the art on these two books!

Most likely because the best books are the ones that few people read. The complaints are usually aimed at the Superman "Truth" storyline, the Finch's Wonder Woman costume and terrible story, Hal Jordan: Renegade, etc.

If more people were reading Midnighter, Omega Men, Bizarro, Martian Manhunter, etc. I think the DCYou would be viewed a lot differently. Most readers are only exposed to the weaker titles and storylines.