Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default With the success of Batman Family Adventures on Webtoon, will Superman follow?

I was pleasantly surprised by how light-hearted and fun the Batman webtoon strip turned out. It strikes me that the Superman family of characters would be a great fit for this format and audience.

Do you think it's already in the works or will be getting more Batman and, just to change it up, a little more Batman, followed by Batman, but with a hat?

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

I hope so! We definitely need more Super family love around here. And since romance is a popular genre a Superfam series could somewhat set itself apart from the Batfam series by leaning into the romance with Clark and Lois too. Wasn't there Clois fan art done by a Pixar animator that went viral earlier this year? They should definitely lean into that popularity.

That’s the big question mark isn’t it? Would be nice to have a Superfamily Webtoon because it could be a place for all the characters who don’t have books of their own right now: Steel, Kon, Kenan, etc. I’m assuming there’s something in the works but that we haven’t heard anything yet means they may be content to just sit back and rely on Batman like everywhere else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Probably another Batman one.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-25-2021 at 08:41 PM.

It would be nice .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

include manchester black in superfamily..we are golden.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    include manchester black in superfamily..we are golden.
    Yeah! Line up Malcolm McDowell for the voice.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by how light-hearted and fun the Batman webtoon strip turned out. It strikes me that the Superman family of characters would be a great fit for this format and audience.

Do you think it's already in the works or will be getting more Batman and, just to change it up, a little more Batman, followed by Batman, but with a hat?
    I actually trust the fanfic writers over DC writers in most cases. For this, that would most likely mean real Jon takes over (possibly some crossover at some point with Damian).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s the big question mark isn’t it? Would be nice to have a Superfamily Webtoon because it could be a place for all the characters who don’t have books of their own right now: Steel, Kon, Kenan, etc. I’m assuming there’s something in the works but that we haven’t heard anything yet means they may be content to just sit back and rely on Batman like everywhere else.
    And...er...Power Girl. She's kind of more Superman Family than two of those, but never gets the love.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    And...er...Power Girl. She's kind of more Superman Family than two of those, but never gets the love.
    Historically she’s been more of a JSA character than a Superman one.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Power Girl is in the Superman family.

Extraordinary Member

Heh, well there's her problem. One post saying she's more JSA, and one post saying she's Superman Family! I guess I should stop blaming DC for not figuring out what to do with her if we can't even agree where she belongs...

Incredible Member

That is only the beginning of her problems.
    Poor Kara Zor-L.
    But that is what happens to you when you are a female DC superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Heh, well there's her problem. One post saying she's more JSA, and one post saying she's Superman Family! I guess I should stop blaming DC for not figuring out what to do with her if we can't even agree where she belongs...
    She’s technically a Superfamily member via being an alternate version of Kara. But when has she actually been treated as an important member of the Superfamily? Far as I know her best stories are in JSA and when she’s paired up with Harley Quinn of all people.

Incredible Member

I suppose it all depends upon your point of view.
    If you have a narrow or restrictive view of who is and is not in the Superman family then sure she doesn't belong.
    If you have an extended family then she belongs. I mean someone who is "sort of" Superman's cousin ought to be
    included as part of the family tree.

It also seems to me that Power Girl is of a different order than say a Supergirl on Earth-whatever.

I'm more than happy to concede the point that DC writers have done a crappy job with Power Girl.
    They also have not really connected her to the Superman mythos.

But for all of that you are either family or you are not. I'm inclined to put her in the family category.

That doesn't even address the question of vantage point. I mean the earth that Power Girl was originally
    placed on, good old Earth-2, was the original world of superheroes, even of Superman. In that way of thinking
    those who didn't belong were on that other earth, the one incorrectly numbered Earth-1, you know the earth that
    should have been Earth-2.

Regarding that whole Supergirl appearance first, Power Girl might respond by pointing out it wasn't her fault she
    was put on a slow rocket. If things had gone the way it was supposed to, she would have arrived on earth before her
    cousin, Kal-L. In which case it would be Power Girl who would be on the cover of Action Comics #1. In that case, it would
    be who does or doesn't belong to the Power Girl family? We would also be thinking about that "other" Power Girl, the one
    from an "alternate world" known as Supergirl.

Of course, it all depends upon how we think about things.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.