View Poll Results: Who is better X-Men Writer?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hickman

158 87.29%
  • Bendis

23 12.71%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Hickman, but I didn’t hate Bendis’ run despite that it didn’t really go anywhere.
    This is how I feel. I liked some of it (his Uncanny was pretty good and I loved the new direction for Cyclops) but the O5 stuff was unnecessary and weighed his run down. Hickman has joined my personal pantheon of X-Writers: Claremont, Morrison, Gillen, Whedon, Remender.

Hickman x1000

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    This, especially the OOC.
    His current run is just an extended Elseworlds story where Moira, one of the best human supporting characters in the X-franchise suddenly becomes a mutant, the heroes have turned their backs on everything they’ve ever believed, are working w. genocidal villains, and started a cult.
    I agree with this. Hickman’s X-men don’t feel like heroes to me at all and more like villains. And I hate the poly relationship too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    I agree with this. Hickman’s X-men don’t feel like heroes to me at all and more like villains. And I hate the poly relationship too.
    They're the mutant Illuminati/Cabal.

It's kinda hard to pick one to be honest....

Hickman is definitely the better writer imo, but while Dawn of X is an interesting story i usually find myself wondering who's this ppl im reading about, 'cause they sure dont act like the X-men.
    In any case i think it's still too early to judge.

Hickman by worlds and stars, my god.

I think Bendis is a good idea person and can write some entertaining scenes, but ultimate he either loses interest in his own stories or simply doesn't stick the landing. I feel Hickman has a centered focus and theme with all his stuff, like them or not.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They're the mutant Illuminati/Cabal.
    The read that the higher ups in Krakoa are morally shady seems valid and also very likely deliberate. Shaky morals certainly isn't new for Magneto, Emma or even (let's be honest) Xavier.

The rest of the classic X-Men and others don't come across as villains at all (barring maybe Beast in X-Force from what I've heard, but Hank being a bitch has isn't anything new lately either), thinking they come across that way is always baffling to me. Especially with the likes of Kurt and Scott questioning things. There is also no pretense that the likes of Apocalypse and Sinister aren't villains or that the other shoe isn't going to drop with them. We already see the dynamic between Xavier, Magneto and Mystique having a lot of moral complexities that is setting up a shake up in Krakoa's higher ranks Saying the mutants as a whole come across as villains is embracing black/white thinking that this franchise has always avoided, as if we're upset the minorities aren't behaving the way we want them to.

I think when this wraps up, it will come to a conclusion that Krakoa and the intent behind it was necessary, but some of the leadership will bring about their own downfall (Charles, Magneto, Moira, Apocalypse) and they will have to reshape Krakoa under the leadership of the likes of Scott and the members of the QC that are more upstanding (Storm, Jean, Nightcrawler, and Emma at least more so than everyone else on there).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The read that the higher ups in Krakoa are morally shady seems valid and also very likely deliberate. Shaky morals certainly isn't new for Magneto, Emma or even (let's be honest) Xavier.
    For Xavier, sorry, I disagree, it’s new.
    Before, we were witnesses of his regrets, hesitations, doubts… he was shady when he was between a rock and a hard place… at least, from his point of view.
    Now, he doesn’t seem to care.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Kinda a split for me. Hickman is much better when it comes to building on a vision and having the story go somewhere but his characters feel OOC, stiff and distant. Meanwhile Bendis doesn’t really go anywhere but his characters felt more down to earth and like actual living people thus making them more engaging to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Kinda a split for me. Hickman is much better when it comes to building on a vision and having the story go somewhere but his characters feel OOC, stiff and distant. Meanwhile Bendis doesn’t really go anywhere but his characters felt more down to earth and like actual living people thus making them more engaging to read.
    So, who is the writer that is good in both, story and characters?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    For Xavier, sorry, I disagree, it’s new.
    Before, we were witnesses of his regrets, hesitations, doubts… he was shady when he was between a rock and a hard place… at least, from his point of view.
    Now, he doesn’t seem to care.
    I might remind you how he was retconned by Bendis, Brubaker, or Daniel Way. At least Brubaker had something in his mind to take it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I might remind how he was retconned by Bendis, Brubaker, or Daniel Way.
    Ah, who is Xavier, eventually? Like, who is Magneto? I tend to think that the ones who take precedence are the ones that feel more real, the ones who have more depth.
    They are the metric standard to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Ah, who is Xavier, eventually? Like, who is Magneto? I tend to think that the ones who take precedence are the ones that feel more real, the ones who have more depth.
    They are the metric standard to me.
    As of canon, he was already a shady character. I see now that you seem to ignore Bendis continuity for characters but it's fine I will ignore that

EDIT: If you seem to think who is Xavier? And I mean how is being written from the beginning then I must say that he was a character who sent kids(X-Men) to fight Magneto.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-13-2020 at 01:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    As of canon, he was already a shady character. I see now that you seem to ignore Bendis continuity for characters but it's fine I will ignore that

EDIT: If you seem to think who is Xavier? And I mean how is being written from the beginning then I must say that he was a character who sent kids(X-Men) to fight Magneto.
    This Magneto is not the same man to agree with that course of action, he's more likely to join the Brotherhood. Whatever Moira did to him changed him for passionately protecting Rogue, to casually dismissing her being physically abused by Apocalypse ins schemes with a shrug.