38 77.55%
  • No

7 14.29%
  • Unsure/Don't Care

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is It Time....

Question Is It Time....

Aunt May knew the truth about Peter being Spider-Man (with no retcons) as status quo? I say it is high time. Such a development would open up new possibilities for the character and her relationship with Peter. A realtionship which has been very stale, IMO. But, I want to hear what others think.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

sure I guess, this woman is immortal though no need to rush it

Astonishing Member

I am all for character growth, but I think it is time to have Aunt May "Sleep With The Fishes." I am not going to say Aunt May is a nothing character ( see Hello Kitty as exhibit A: of this), but Pete ( and readers) needs to move on from her.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am all for character growth, but I think it is time to have Aunt May "Sleep With The Fishes." I am not going to say Aunt May is a nothing character ( see Hello Kitty as exhibit A: of this), but Pete ( and readers) needs to move on from her.
    oh i moved on ages ago she just still here

She's cool either way, but I do wanna see her teach Jonah how to care for their son.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

I always wanted Spider-Man to reveal it himself like in Ultimate Spider-Man instead of her just finding out. Peter has done everything he could to actually avoid talking things out with her. It would be nice to see him being the one to take initiative.

Honestly, I don't care anymore if she knows or not.

Astonishing Member

The more people who know that Peter is Spider-Man, and the closer they are to him, the easier his life (double life) becomes. A girlfriend, roommate or co-worker might find out that Peter is Spider-Man, but they can always be written out of the series. Aunt May, however, is a permanent fixture in the series, she's never not going to be close to Peter.

Currently, too many characters know Spider-Man's secret identity. Adding to that list doesn't do the series any favours.

At this point if we're going to keep Aunt May around I think there's more to gain by Aunt May knowing then by continuing to portray her as this oblivious doddering old fogey, especially when writers seem to be hammering it in lately that she knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    sure I guess, this woman is immortal though no need to rush it
    Yeah, what's another 50 years?

... well... actually we'll all probably be dead by then. But May won't be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At this point if we're going to keep Aunt May around I think there's more to gain by Aunt May knowing then by continuing to portray her as this oblivious doddering old fogey
    When was the last time she was portrayed that way?

Knowing Spider-Man's secret identity is irrelevant to whether or not she's depicted as a "doddering old fogey". That's an issue of characterisation.

Really don't think it's necessary.

Besides, how many Marvel characters actually have a "secret identity" these days?
    Let's try to limit how many people (other than fellow heroes) know Peter's "secret".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When was the last time she was portrayed that way?

Knowing Spider-Man's secret identity is irrelevant to whether or not she's depicted as a "doddering old fogey". That's an issue of characterisation.
    I think it's come up under both Spencer and Taylor respectively.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's come up under both Spencer and Taylor respectively.
    In what way? If they're writing her as a "doddering old fogey", then writing her as a "doddering old fogey" who knows Spider-Man's secret identity isn't going to be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In what way? If they're writing her as a "doddering old fogey", then writing her as a "doddering old fogey" who knows Spider-Man's secret identity isn't going to be an improvement.
    Oh, I never meant to imply they were writing her as a "doddering old fogey," they definitely aren't, she's just written as a much more stronger woman who seems to have a much better idea of what Peter is really doing then she was being written as prior.