Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default power dampeners, inhibitor collars.. (etc.)

I have a problem with this kind of technology existing in the Marvel Universe. If it is that easy to take away a mutant's powers then why would mutants be considered such a threat? Why isn't every single Nimrod, sentinel, soldier, or cop equipped with this technology? Chris Claremont introduced inhibitor collars during the Dark Phoenix saga (I think) but he really let the genie out of the bottle with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I have a problem with this kind of technology existing in the Marvel Universe. If it is that easy to take away a mutant's powers then why would mutants be considered such a threat? Why isn't every single Nimrod, sentinel, soldier, or cop equipped with this technology? Chris Claremont introduced inhibitor collars during the Dark Phoenix saga (I think) but he really let the genie out of the bottle with this one.
    The human race has always found ways to enslave or control other people over it's entire history. The control collars are just one more step on a long line of methods used to subjugate other people. It started as a law enforcement tool originally, but then it progressed far beyond that and it became a tool for enslavement and subjugation of mutants.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

If mutants aren't a scary threat it doesn't make much sense to hate and fear them right? If the scary out of control mutants can wear power dampener then people can't make excuse to fear them can they? Anyways some aspect of the X-men exist so they can tell fun stories. There is no way people with powers would exist and they wouldn't be regulations and safety protocols. No way in world with mutants do you not find out as soon as possible if your child is an mutant. No way in world with mutants do you let mutants just manifest their abilities not in control area.Mutants would be love by governments in some form you can't convince me that every country wouldn't have unit in their military with super powers and mutants.They are plenty of stuff that doesn't make sense in the X-men world and this happens to stories more dramatic and exciting.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.

The in-universe excuse is that the dampeners are harmful to mutants long-term.

Setting aside views of Claremont in general, one thing I can say is that in the real world being able to enslave humans of various races didn't also prevent murdering people based on race. Murder might be more likely to happen without enslavement as an option, but murder still happened even with enslavement.

From the POV of a hateful human, a mutant with a collar is less of a threat, but still a threat if they lose the collar. And mutants wearing the collar still doesn't change what they "represent," and a fear that growing numbers of mutants can outpace humans in sheer population.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    At least they had a reason at some point, I mean that is better than nothing.

Isn't there a logic way to implement a system that doesn't offend mutants and understand that some mutants need a little help control their powers or manage output of their power. I mean instead of collar how about a power dampening fitbit watch. And instead of every mutant how about the mutants who can't control their powers. I mean mutants can't be ignorant to fact that some mutants need help I mean the X-men with Cyclops they create visor, With Surge they created gauntlets, When Rogue and Gambit wanted to consummate their marriage she was given a dampener. It is not logical that mutants themselves wouldn't the technology fine tuned and in use because young mutants learning to control their powers and mutants like Chamber and Cyclops would also have need for it.

I don't see why a country like United states wouldn't have a law that say class Alpha and above and mutants who can't control their powers need a power dampener with in city areas and high population area. And the dampener wouldn't shut of their powers but lower it to safer level. Of course they are obvious holes in suggest like who controls the dampener and restriction of someone personal freedom as just a couple questions that would need to be fined tuned. Comics stories have told us power dampeners and mutant registration are these bad things but what if they weren't implemented in most dickish way possible and the government was somewhat trustworthy. I think a realistic world would middle ground between letting Franklin Richards running around unchecked and every mutant has to have collar. But as I mentioned before at lot thing happen for more exciting stories and old comic tradition.

Really? Then why was Rogue risking deliberately using one? She was using it so she can touch and kiss Gambit without absorbing his powers and psyche, but is it worth it if it can harm her?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Well, this is a cross-brand comparison, but maybe power dampener power sources have slow-acting radioactivity in them? Like how in the old DCAU "Justice League" animated series, Lex Luthor was shocked to discover that his Kryptonite ring ended up giving him cancer. (and transitioned him from the corrupt businessman to open super-villain genius in the franchise).

Also, I have returned. And relieved to be not the only one with QUESTIONS.
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 10-26-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Really? Then why was Rogue risking deliberately using one? She was using it so she can touch and kiss Gambit without absorbing his powers and psyche, but is it worth it if it can harm her?
    That was the point Beast was making about it (though he did it in such a dickish way). She risks it because she wants to be intimate with her lover. Nothing wrong with that.

What are you talking about? Beast wasn't even around. I was referring to the Mr and Mrs X series, which is set at the same time as Age of X-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Well, this is a cross-brand comparison, but maybe power dampener power sources have slow-acting radioactivity in them? Like how in the old DCAU "Justice League" animated series, Lex Luthor was shocked to discover that his Kryptonite ring ended up giving him cancer. (and transitioned him from the corrupt businessman to open super-villain genius in the franchise).
    Cancer? Well at least he won't have had to worry about the chemo side effect, since he's already bald!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I didn't reblog it, but there was a Tumblr post I saw yesterday tearing into Fox film Storm (Halle Berry) for chastising Rogue for excitement over a cure. Those initial posts did the typical thing of oversimplifying for mockery (Rogue's powers killing anyone she touches vs "Storm can create some nice clouds") and blaming characters for writer choices, but it eventually got into discussing how disabilities have varying levels and feelings associated with them. The mutant metaphor is loaded with a lot of complicated layers, and lots of careful work that needs to be done to handle being representational of many groups simultaneously.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I didn't reblog it, but there was a Tumblr post I saw yesterday tearing into Fox film Storm (Halle Berry) for chastising Rogue for excitement over a cure. Those initial posts did the typical thing of oversimplifying for mockery (Rogue's powers killing anyone she touches vs "Storm can create some nice clouds") and blaming characters for writer choices, but it eventually got into discussing how disabilities have varying levels and feelings associated with them. The mutant metaphor is loaded with a lot of complicated layers, and lots of careful work that needs to be done to handle being representational of many groups simultaneously.
    I mean, that meme has a point. Rogue's powers are uncontrollable and lethal. Storm's are not.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Cure stories(which are stupid to be clear) are always told heavy handed in X-men. Stories never go here is cure use it if you want because we understand you don't want have useless bird mutation. That said I was a little surprised when I saw post on twitter where a decent amount of deaf people were offended that doctors where trying to figure how to remove gene that causes deafness. So there is a real life precedence that a group of people in spite of what we think as "handicap" they are fine with and proud of their community. I would like to see just one time a cure story where everyone isn't being forced cure and someone goes "I love being a mutant but being a just human is also fine." But that breaks mutants as minority metaphor.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Some narrative conventions must remain broken for others to work.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

I mean, that meme has a point. Rogue's powers are uncontrollable and lethal. Storm's are not.
    I always somewhat empathized with the Morlocks.

Telling a 50 tentacled sewer dweller that they should be proud of their mutation as a literal weather goddess that's most likely one of the top 5 most beautiful people on the planet is a bit OD...

I mean look at qwerty for God's sake.