Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Spectacular Member

Default Ask Kurt Busiek

Post your comicbook question for the multi award winning writer Kurt Busiek.

Spectacular Member

Hey Mr. Busiek, any notable memories of DC, when you 1st began?

How did DC get you to jump ship? I don’t know if I’ve ever heard that story.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Mr. Busiek your Superman run is amazing.
    What are your Superman influences when it comes to characterization and story structure?

Hi! Long-time, first-time...
    - Kurt, I loved Power Company! If DC offered you a title,(and assuming current continuity weren't an issue) what would be top of your list?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

What was your greatest struggle breaking into the industry?

If you could do a run on any character for any publisher, what book would you choose to write for?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Does the Earth Prime Superboy character exist in the Secret Identity universe?
    Assassinate Putin!

Just in case someone hasn’t already, someone should let him know this exists by posting it over on the Marvel thread, or by letting him know on Twitter.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Do you prefer a married or single Superman, and what's your opinion on Lois and Clark having a child such as Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Do you prefer a married or single Superman, and what's your opinion on Lois and Clark having a child such as Jon?
    Just as a heads up, I asked Kurt for his opinion on Jon Kent on the Marvel version of this thread and this was his answer:

I haven't reach much of Jon Kent, sorry. I find it hard to step back into the role of "reader" after I've been backstage working the puppet strings, so after I've written a book for an extended run, I generally find I don't read it again all that regularly unless I need to for research.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubert View Post
    Hey Mr. Busiek, any notable memories of DC, when you 1st began?
    I don't really know what other people consider notable. I've got a lot of fun memories of my early days at DC, from Len Wein telling an artist that the shark-men on a cover needed "more slobber!" to Dick Giordano's secretary looking at me on check day and saying, "You're normal. Why are comic book people like this?' to Ernie Colon's enthusiasm for experimental approaches and more.

Maybe some more specific stuff will come up with future questions.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How did DC get you to jump ship? I don’t know if I’ve ever heard that story.
    I don't think I understand the question.

If you're asking how they got me to leave Marvel and sign up with DC, they didn't. The one time I was exclusive to DC, I'd been doing CONAN for Dark Horse before that.

Mostly, I've done stuff at DC when interesting opportunities came up and I was available to do them, which is also true for working at Marvel or Dark Horse or elsewhere. I don't think of myself as "belonging" to one company or another.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Mr. Busiek your Superman run is amazing.
    Very glad you liked it!

What are your Superman influences when it comes to characterization and story structure?
    My sense of who Superman is, as a person, comes from just reading lots and lots of Superman comics (and seeing the movies and such), and having all that filter down into what feels "right" to me.

I'm probably most influenced by Julie Schwartz's editorial run, and within that, by Cary Bates's writing. But at the same time, I think the Superman in SUPERMAN VS. MUHAMMAD ALI may be the most iconic treatment of the character, at least for me. But I'm also influenced by the post-Crisis Superman, the movie Superman and more.

I try to take the character as I understand him in my head and present him in a modern, contemporary way, rather than do a throwback to any earlier version.

As for story structure, I don't know -- I don't think I approach story structure differently for Superman than I do for other things, and during my run I did different kinds of structures, from single issue stories to extended epics, to the beginnings of what were intended to be long-running threads that didn't get to go much of anywhere.

But I don't have a particular set approach to structure.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hi! Long-time, first-time...
    - Kurt, I loved Power Company!
    Thanks!

If DC offered you a title,(and assuming current continuity weren't an issue) what would be top of your list?
    Let's amend that to say that if I had the time to do it and all that other stuff. But if I was to do an ongoing title for DC, I guess my top fantasy choices would be:

WONDER WOMAN
    LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
    SWAMP THING
    THE DEMON
    OMAC
    METAL MEN

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now, but those would be in the list for sure...

kdb