Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Solar seems to be my favorite thus far, but Magnus and the Rai backup is growing on me with every new issue.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I really enjoyed Solar, too, but Archer and Armstrong is the series I remember fondest.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Over the course of November/December, I started reading Thorgal (got 3 volumes in), read the first 2 volumes of Jason Lutes Berlin, started a reread of Gary Spencer Millidge's Strangehaven, read all of the Complete Zot! in Black and White and reread the first volume of Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze. I also dabbled in some Marvel Silver and Bronze Age via Marvel Unlimited.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Over the course of November/December, I started reading Thorgal (got 3 volumes in), read the first 2 volumes of Jason Lutes Berlin, started a reread of Gary Spencer Millidge's Strangehaven, read all of the Complete Zot! in Black and White and reread the first volume of Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze. I also dabbled in some Marvel Silver and Bronze Age via Marvel Unlimited.

-M
    Thorgal is soooooooo good. Sadly, I had to stop collecting it because it was way too expensive. Maybe in a trip to Spain I manage to get my hands in a couple of volumes... One can dream. Zot! is also really great; I own a volume with the stories from 1987 to 1991.

I read digitally These Savage Shores. I was completely blown away.
    I read Obelix and Co, one of the best Asterix I've ever read (which says a lot when talking about an album by Goscinny and Uderzo)
    I have in my reading pile:
    Corto Maltés: El día de Tarowean (I don't know the title in english)
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets & Ambassador of the Shadows
    Something is Killing the Children Volume 1
    Lone Wolf and Cub Volume 1

It's going to be a great month when it comes to comics!
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

I just got into Usagi Yojimbo myself, cool to see fans in the thread here. So cool! I've had the first Saga on the shelf for a while, starting now with a mix of IDW's color reprints and the Fantagraphics books. Been listening to Stan Sakai interviews on youtube too, he's a cool guy!

I'm also intending to get back to the Mirage Ninja Turtles run soon too. And the meetings of Usagi with those green gents.

Been meaning to read Asterix too, that looks great.

Oh, I forgot. I read the second volume of Giant Days (first time reading that series, I had a lot of fun) and I read volumes 3 to 5 of Deadly Class. I’m loving that series so far
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm currently 22 issues into re-reading Journey (from Aardvark/Vanaheim//Fantagraphics), and deeply enjoying it.
    Read Superman and The Authority, which I'd avoided on publication, glad to return it to the library and glad I'd avoided it on publication.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The One by Rick Veitch

I can't seem to get a grasp on this guy. His Swamp Thing run is pitch perfect, and the Eclipse comic he did with Bissette, Bedlam might be the finest anthology I have ever read.

Yet I've also read comics by him that I have loathed like his Aquaman run from the early 2000s, which felt very much like a passionless, for hire job, and Army @ Love, which I respect for it's eclectic weirdness, but it's just plain unfunny.

I'm afraid to say that The One falls into the latter category for me. It has all the now well worn tropes that Watchmen a year later made famous: self absorbed and morally compromised superheroes grappling with their inhuman abilities, superheroes as a metaphor for geopolitical conflict, etc. But the story feels bloated and sloppy. Itchy Itch, one of the (too) many major characters in the story sets off the inciting incident of the story and just hangs around dormant for the rest of the story. Veitch uses a technique where he'll have entire pages of characters speaking to the audience post hoc. This storytelling device might have been innovative for the time, but terribly breaks the pace of the narrative, and is lazily used as an exposition dump much of the time. While I have my reservations about The One, I will admit that unlike Army @ Love, it is funny, and the series is worth reading for the artwork alone.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-04-2022 at 01:31 AM.

read Sonambulo Sleep of the Just 1-3

and Mexican Standoff 1-3

love those books.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 01-07-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Now I need a Sonambulo vs Bane (TAS) comicbook

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Now I need a Sonambulo vs Bane (TAS) comicbook
    i'd bet Rafael Navarro could draw a pretty bad ass Bane.

Rereading 100 Bullets and Criminal. About to start some Sandman TPBs which a friend lent me. I've never been much of a Gaiman fan, but he said that I had to give them a shot.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Sonambulo is awesome! So many great indie comics that deserve a wider audience. Sometimes I have to shake my head at comic fans. No offense to anyone, but how can fans read the nth spin-off title of Franchise Whatever - which they then complain about - and then neglect such amazing books like Sonambulo? It's baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Sonambulo is awesome! So many great indie comics that deserve a wider audience. Sometimes I have to shake my head at comic fans. No offense to anyone, but how can fans read the nth spin-off title of Franchise Whatever - which they then complain about - and then neglect such amazing books like Sonambulo? It's baffling.
    Sonambulo Sleep of the Just tpb is getting a reprint for it's 25th anniversary. looks to have some cool extras.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    read Sonambulo Sleep of the Just 1-3

and Mexican Standoff 1-3

love those books.
    I don't think I've ever seen / heard of those before.

But looking at the GCD, it seems like the series came out between 1996 and 2004 when I was pretty much taking a break from comic books and rarely ventured into a comic book shop.