Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

The Great Mouse Detective
    Gargoyles
    The Black Cauldron

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Was it ever inferred their classic films shared the same continuity?

I mean other than appearing in random imagery together across merchandise?
    No, just more that the show was rather free in adapting the source material.

Never saw the Once Upon A Time show, was that Disney? Was all the Disney content sharing one continuity, somewhat the premise?
    It was a Fables-like premise, with various fantasy and fairy tales characters sharing the same world. Since Disney was involved, the show used the Disney animated versions of public domain characters as the starting point for adapting them, eventually including adaptions of original Disney characters into the mix.

Also I heard Disney's Zorro was somehow part of that continuity? I'm curious if so, how he even fit in?
    Never heard of that Zorro show before.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

It was a Fables-like premise, with various fantasy and fairy tales characters sharing the same world. Since Disney was involved, the show used the Disney animated versions of public domain characters as the starting point for adapting them, eventually including adaptions of original Disney characters into the mix.

Disney had a black and white Zorro show back in the 50s.

And a freaking amazing one at that.

Guy Williams is my chilhood hero lol.

Got it, so Disney was actually involved? It treated the Disney(verse( (can we call it that?) as one shared continuity? But the Disney films themselves never implied that?
    Although I think the latest ones are starting to do that,I think I saw something with Frozen referencing and acknowledging some of the other "Kingdoms?
    Is that right?

Fascinating yet not surprising, sad reality for the 100yo character, we are at a gen, (even on a masked hero pop culture forum) who doesn't know Zorro was ever an ingrained substantial part of Disney.
    Not just the show itself, across media and merchandising, but in the parks as well...

Before there was the huge "Star Wars Days" at Disneyland, there was Zorro Days... before Disney ever had a Marvel hero they had the first caped masked avenger...
    Before the kids Jedi Training Academy stage show, or the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, there was the Zorro Stunt show, and Sword Training with Zorro.
    And a park full of tiny little wanabe Zorros, whose character and theme used to have a presence somewhere right between Adventure land and Frontier land. Pretty much had one proto-superhero foot in the Swashbuckling Pirate adventure and the other in the Western.

Odd when Euro Disney launched, they still strongly emphasized and promoted with Zorro's presence, maybe in Europe they still held the license?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disney had a black and white Zorro show back in the 50s.
    Of all the "Remakes" Disney is doing, I most wish Disney would acquire and revisit the Zorro license again.
    Heck they probably have the best actor to play him right under a helmet on that other show....!

Last edited by Güicho; 11-05-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Re: Unmasked.....

Once Pascal is done "voicing"; give the man a legit on camera role:
    Instead of a helmet, blaster, grapnel-line, vibro-blade, and speeder bike on a virtual set in California.
    Make it a mask, black-powder-pistol, whip, sword, and horse, on a real set in California.
    And you have the making for another fantastic Disney+ series.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    And a freaking amazing one at that.

Guy Williams is my chilhood hero lol.
    Agree!
    Guy (Armando Catalano) was also for me, pretty much the embodiment of Zorro - Diego de la Vega.
    I know Fairbanks, Power(played him a bit to effete) are lauded and his legit progenitors, yet the Disney version is who absolutely defined and brought him to life for me.

I think Pedro Pascal would actually have been a pretty good choice to carry the mantle, if Disney had ever sought out the license again for a Disney+ series remake.
    I wish someone in their sprawling empire, had the vision for it.

And LOL, the actual reason I brought him up here...?
    I heard Disney's Zorro was somehow part of that [Once Upon A Time] continuity? I'm curious if so, how he even fit in?

Which I can't find now, yet vaguely recall reading a discussion that referenced maybe Zorro and Maleficent in that series? Not knowing at all what the heck they were talking about?
    Anyone who watched Once Upon A Time, know what (if anything) that's about?
    Or now I'm thinking maybe that's just something inspired from the Euro Disney promo where Zorro and Cinderella meet^?
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-17-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Got it, so it treated the Disney(verse( (can we call it that?) as one shared continuity? But the Disney films themselves never implied that?
    I guess. The movies were always standalone and the One Upon a Time reboot did put everything together in its own way.

Although I think the latest ones are starting to do that,I think I saw something with Frozen referencing and acknowledging some of the other "Kingdoms?
    Is that right?
    Well, the first Frozen did have Rapunzel and Flynn cameoing as coronation guests, so I guess you could string those two together (although I think it was just an Easter egg). Aladdin and Hercules had a "same universe" crossover in the latter's cartoon show, but who knows if those are canon. You also had House of Mouse that had various Disney characters as the dinner theater guests (certainly not canon) way back when. The current DuckTales reboot has been making a shared universe out of the old Disney Afternoon cartoons (and there was that old "Chaos God" comic that put the original TailSpin, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, DuckTales, and Darkwing Duck shows in one world).

Fascinating yet not surprising, sad reality for the 100yo character, we are at a gen, (even on a masked hero pop culture forum) who doesn't know Zorro was ever an ingrained substantial part of Disney.
    Not just the show itself, across media and merchandising, but in the parks as well...
    If I ever head of it, I forgot about it (and I was aware that Davy Crockett was once a big deal for Disney).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If I ever head of it, I forgot about it (and I was aware that Davy Crockett was once a big deal for Disney).
    Yeah Davy Crockett was tremendous!
    Davy Crockett and Zorro were somewhat once the Superman - Batman of their Disney television programming era.

Zorro at the Mickey Mouse Club.
    LOL Moochie! Now that's a smart kid.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-05-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Unmasked.....

Once he's done "voicing"; give the man a legit on camera role:
    Instead of a helmet, blaster, grapnel-line, vibro-blade, and speeder bike on a virtual set in California.
    Make it a mask, black-powder-pistol, whip, sword, and a horse, on a real set in California. And you have the making for another fantastic Disney + series.

Agree!
    Guy (Armando Catalano) was also for me, pretty much the embodiment of Zorro - Diego de la Vega.
    I know Fairbanks, Power(played him a bit to effete) are lauded and his legit progenitors, yet the Disney version is who absolutely defined and brought him to life for me.

I think Pedro Pascal would actually have been a pretty good choice to carry the mantle, if Disney had ever sought out the license again for a Disney + series remake.
    I wish someone in their sprawling empire, had the vision for it.

And LOL, the actual reason I brought him up here...?

Which I can't find now, yet vaguely recall reading a discussion that referenced maybe Zorro and Maleficent in that series? Not knowing at all what the heck they were talking about?
    Anyone who watched Once Upon A Time, know what (if anything) that's about?
    Or now I'm thinking maybe that's just something inspired from the Euro Disney promo where they meet^?
    I watched Once Upon a Time and I do not ever recall Zorro. Then I did a google search. (and really, learn something new every day)

https://ouaat.fandom.com/wiki/Zorro

He was mentioned in name only. And probably only as Diego, never Zorro.

If we do a reboot of Zorro, can we also get Michael Peña in it?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I watched Once Upon a Time and I do not ever recall Zorro. Then I did a google search. (and really, learn something new every day)

Quote Originally Posted by https://ouaat.fandom.com/wiki/Zorro
    "
    Zorro/Don Diego de la Vega ...
    He is the father of Lilith Page, after a "union" between himself and Maleficent while both were in their dragon forms."

"Background:
    In the Enchanted Forest, presumably, Maleficent's dragon form mates with another dragon which results in her becoming pregnant and eventually having a daughter named Lilith, or "Lily". Upon arriving in Storybrooke and reuniting with Maleficent, Lily expresses a desire to find her father."

I don't even know what to make of that ^ sentence and information?

So did Zorro/Diego de La Vega (in some form of Dragon state?) "mate" with Maleficent, and they are the parents of a character called Lilith? Is that kid human?
    And that character [ Lilith] is looking for her father? ....who is Zorro?
    I can't processes this.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-05-2020 at 12:18 PM.

I don't even know what to make of that sentence?
    When a mommy and a daddy really love one another and they can turn into dragons, sometimes that love is so overwhelming. that even in dragon form they feel the need to love one another a lot.

Best I've got for a birds and bees speech.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

He was mentioned in name only. And probably only as Diego, never Zorro.

If we do a reboot of Zorro, can we also get Michael Peña in it?
    Huh! I'm on season 6 of OUAT but i'm glad that they somehow connected Zorro with the story. I've surprisingly rewatched Disney's version of Zorro's movie a couple of times since it launched i wish they had the tv shows too so i can enjoy the show even more

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Huh! I'm on season 6 of OUAT but i'm glad that they somehow connected Zorro with the story. I've surprisingly rewatched Disney's version of Zorro's movie a couple of times since it launched i wish they had the tv shows too so i can enjoy the show even more
    Disney+ doesn't have the show? You'd think that would be easy to include.
    I've never really seen it, just part of an episode, but it seems like something I'd be into.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disney+ doesn't have the show? You'd think that would be easy to include.
    I've never really seen it, just part of an episode, but it seems like something I'd be into.
    I don't know about US but yes in Canada they don't have the Zorro tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't know about US but yes in Canada they don't have the Zorro tv show.
    I looked today and they do have the 1960 Legend of Zorro movie.