Page 132 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2161

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-fal...aptain-america

I thought it was an interesting writeup on some of the show's misstep.

Ultimate Member

One thing's got me curious, wonder how being Captain America is gonna affect Sam's contracting work.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think the idea of doing the right thing itself is enough. Making everything personal gets to be too much sometimes. Besides, they'll have to devote a bunch of time to a romance, and in 2 hrs it's usually never enough.
    It's easy to do the right thing when you've got nothing at stake. When it's going to cost you something is a different story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It's easy to do the right thing when you've got nothing at stake. When it's going to cost you something is a different story.
    I can see that. I just think it's also heroic for heroes to sometimes deal with issues even if it doesn't personally affect them

Astonishing Member

I can see that. I just think it's also heroic for heroes to sometimes deal with issues even if it doesn't personally affect them
    Same with me. If the stakes are too personal, then the character really doesn't have to be heroic to be in the plot.

It's the difference between the Punisher and someone like Luke Cage or Spider-Man.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I zone out when it's "insert relationship here" is in danger!

I just stop caring, because it's been done a million times. And I kinda think most audiences have too. It's like a Knock Knock joke. You know most of the beats, so it's hard to be original.

IMO, super hero stories are a lot better in delivering the emotional beats than your cliche action flicks, and I'd rather it stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    One thing's got me curious, wonder how being Captain America is gonna affect Sam's contracting work.
    I imagine he'll probably operate like Steve did with SHIELD where he still goes on government missions.

I mean, there's no Avengers team to be on standby and he's not fighting street crime, so there isn't much else for him to do.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Same with me. If the stakes are too personal, then the character really doesn't have to be heroic to be in the plot.

It's the difference between the Punisher and someone like Luke Cage or Spider-Man.
    Yeah, it's ok sometimes but movies like the Raimi Spider-Man movies overdid it

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, I zone out when it's "insert relationship here" is in danger!

I just stop caring, because it's been done a million times. And I kinda think most audiences have too. It's like a Knock Knock joke. You know most of the beats, so it's hard to be original.

IMO, super hero stories are a lot better in delivering the emotional beats than your cliche action flicks, and I'd rather it stay that way.
    I agree. I like how most modern superhero movies don't do the kidnapped girlfriend thing

Boisterously Confused

I'm not being clear. I'm not saying the villain should have a gun to the family/love interests head.

A character like Batman has nothing at home he cherishes to make it harder to risk himself and go face The Joker. An MCU Iron Man wants nothing more than to live in peace with his wife and daughter, and has to struggle with himself to go stare down Thanos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm not being clear. I'm not saying the villain should have a gun to the family/love interests head.

A character like Batman has nothing at home he cherishes to make it harder to risk himself and go face The Joker. An MCU Iron Man wants nothing more than to live in peace with his wife and daughter, and has to struggle with himself to go stare down Thanos.
    Most of the time, Iron Man didn't have a family though. I see what you mean though

Astonishing Member

We're at the point where having family or love interest =/= using family or LI to motivate hero by threatening them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    We're at the point where having family or love interest =/= using family or LI to motivate hero by threatening them.
    I think so.

Incredible Member

Default TFatWS has honestly killed any excitement for future MCU movies for me

I was so hyped for TFatWS but after rewatching I can safely say this is the worst piece of media the MCU has produced. Yes even worse than Inhumans because at least Inhumans ruined characters I didn't care about for 10 years

There is so very little this show does right. The only two characters I would say are written well are Baron Zemo and Isaiah Bradley. Everyone else is just written so badly and assassinates their established characters. Sam questions his best friend's legacy and never challenges Isaiah despite the fact he is suppose to represent the idealism for African Americans. Like think about it Isaiah was bitter because he broke the law to save his comrades only to be jailed and torture. Sam broke the law 2 times but is still viewed as a hero. Sam half heartedly challenges Isaiah by saying "things are different" but doesn't bring up the fact he himself broke the law twice but is still a hero? And then he says the shield's legacy is complicated? What? If it is over Isaiah what about Banner and the Hulk? The Hulk is a far bigger stain on Captain America's legacy than Isaiah considering Hulk murdered dozens of innocent people and put Banner on the run unlike Isaiah. Sam should've been angry at Isaiah for basically insulting his close friend who he fought alongside with since the beginning but no he genuinely considers of Isaiah is right despite everything pointing to the contrary. I also love how the show tries to set up Sam becoming Cap as something people would be against yet when he does become Cap everyone immediately likes him as Captain America. Not only does this show ruin Sam but it also ruins Steve by making him ignorant to racism despite growing up in one of the most racist periods in American history and hating bullies meaning he'd most definitely oppose racism but here I guess Steve and Bucky were ignorant to racism

Bucky is also wasted in this show and gets barely any arc

Don't even get me started on Walker, Karli or the GRC

Honestly if this wasn't connected to the MCU people would hate it but because it is regardless of the bad continuity and writing people praise it

Long story short this series showed to me that the MCU's writing has deteriorated fast and now I can't be excited for any MCU movies

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

"...the worst piece of media the MCU has produced."

Yowza, okay to be fair and generous...

if that is the case it may be time for you to take a break and read comics instead.

The MCU will always be there once you deign it to be worthy of your attention and high exacting standards.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think it's fair for people to be more critical on the second and third pass. As I suggested in another thread, eventually the novelty of seeing some of our favorite characters finally in dedicated live action series wears off and viewers start pulling at the frayed edges. There's so such thing as a perfect telling, especially in the case of a product made for mass consumption.

I don't consider FatWS the worst thing the MCU put out, but it had its share of cringeworthy moments and eye brow raising lapses in character logic imho -- and I only watched the series once. If this does eventually cascade into a Mighty Avengers or Ultimates type movie down the road, I hope they do a better job all around. I'm sure they'll definitely give it their best.