Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Ok thanks guys and yea that makes sense. I mean there are no crossover movies where we know for sure Spiderman coulda appeared for years to come. So Feige putting all that time and effort into the chatacters for Marvel to just get 5% seems problematic. So yea I get why Marvel in that case would ask for more, and also Why it wouldnt make much sense for Sony to give that up(Unless they had zero confidence in themselves and yea I doubt that's the case).

As far as the Amazon thing didnt Sony come out and say the Film division isnt for sell right after those Rumors started circling?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok thanks guys and yea that makes sense. I mean there are no crossover movies where we know for sure Spiderman coulda appeared for years to come. So Feige putting all that time and effort into the chatacters for Marvel to just get 5% seems problematic. So yea I get why Marvel in that case would ask for more, and also Why it wouldnt make much sense for Sony to give that up(Unless they had zero confidence in themselves and yea I doubt that's the case).

As far as the Amazon thing didnt Sony come out and say the Film division isnt for sell right after those Rumors started circling?
    I haven't dug into the deal too deeply, and what I do know could be wrong (not like this stuff is public knowledge and false reports are everywhere) but as I understand it (take this with a grain of salt), Marvel gets 5% of the box office as well as the majority of merchandise revenue (or at least a big fat slice of it) and I *think* that includes blu-ray, DvD, and download sales too. Sony gets 95% of the box office, pay most of the production bills (expenses they get back from revenue) and a small slice of the merchandise profit. The films are made/paid for by Sony but they have Marvel Studios consult, benefiting from the genius that is Kevin Fiege and the market power of the MCU.

Marvel, after FFH's success, wanted a 50/50 split in both financial investment and revenue (I've no idea if Marvel was willing to also split the stuff they currently get the lion's share of). Under those terms, Sony would've made more money from Venom than Far From Home. Obviously that's not a good deal for these guys. So they said no. And instead of negotiating and making a more reasonable offer, Disney walked away from the table....and possibly leaked all this to get the fans riled up and throw some bad PR pressure at Sony.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong, let's not forget) Sony aren't the bad guys here. Disney's being greedy and trying to get control of Spidey without actually having to buy the rights back. Basic strongarm corporate tactics, I guess. Of course, even though Sony might not be at fault here, I've still got no sympathy. The Mouse is straight up evil, and making a deal with Disney is marginally worse than making a deal with Mephisto.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I haven't dug into the deal too deeply, and what I do know could be wrong (not like this stuff is public knowledge and false reports are everywhere) but as I understand it (take this with a grain of salt), Marvel gets 5% of the box office as well as the majority of merchandise revenue (or at least a big fat slice of it) and I *think* that includes blu-ray, DvD, and download sales too. Sony gets 95% of the box office, pay most of the production bills (expenses they get back from revenue) and a small slice of the merchandise profit. The films are made/paid for by Sony but they have Marvel Studios consult, benefiting from the genius that is Kevin Fiege and the market power of the MCU.

Marvel, after FFH's success, wanted a 50/50 split in both financial investment and revenue (I've no idea if Marvel was willing to also split the stuff they currently get the lion's share of). Under those terms, Sony would've made more money from Venom than Far From Home. Obviously that's not a good deal for these guys. So they said no. And instead of negotiating and making a more reasonable offer, Disney walked away from the table....and possibly leaked all this to get the fans riled up and throw some bad PR pressure at Sony.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong, let's not forget) Sony aren't the bad guys here. Disney's being greedy and trying to get control of Spidey without actually having to buy the rights back. Basic strongarm corporate tactics, I guess. Of course, even though Sony might not be at fault here, I've still got no sympathy. The Mouse is straight up evil, and making a deal with Disney is marginally worse than making a deal with Mephisto.
    Actually it has come out Disney did make a counter offer Sony didn't comeback to the table.

Disney already had Merchandise rights and that's worth wayyyyyyyyyy more then the movies. From what's been said publicly Feige was too busy. So im guessing the 25 or 50% was too make it worth his time to put aside other projects to work on Spidey. And without Feige working on the project for quality control they arent gonna let the movie be in the MCU. Dont see how Disney is evil at all in this situation. But also 100% see why Sony would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Actually it has come out Disney did make a counter offer Sony didn't comeback to the table.
    Did it? I hadn't heard that. Ballsy choice, Sony. Somebody's feeling confident after Spider-Verse.

Disney already had Merchandise rights and that's worth wayyyyyyyyyy more then the movies. From what's been said publicly Feige was too busy. So im guessing the 25 or 50% was too make it worth his time to put aside other projects to work on Spidey. And without Feige working on the project for quality control they arent gonna let the movie be in the MCU. Dont see how Disney is evil at all in this situation. But also 100% see why Sony would pass.
    I've heard just over the last day or two about Fiege being too busy. Sounds....plausible, I suppose. Spidey's a damn big IP but the MCU has found success in every quarter. And I get why Sony would pass (assuming what I've heard is true); imagine putting in the money and effort to churn out FFH, and end up making less than Venom! Nobody would take such a deal. And Disney's pretty well established as the evil empire, but I was just relying the story as I've heard it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Did it? I hadn't heard that. Ballsy choice, Sony. Somebody's feeling confident after Spider-Verse.

I've heard just over the last day or two about Fiege being too busy. Sounds....plausible, I suppose. Spidey's a damn big IP but the MCU has found success in every quarter. And I get why Sony would pass (assuming what I've heard is true); imagine putting in the money and effort to churn out FFH, and end up making less than Venom! Nobody would take such a deal. And Disney's pretty well established as the evil empire, but I was just relying the story as I've heard it.
    The deal Disney offered wasnt to just take more money they would have also paid that percentage of the budget. So Sony would make less but also pay less.

But yea this Feige being too busy angle has been there from day one. And both sides have mentioned it in public statements. While the 50/50 deal has also been reported to be more like 25/75. So who knows what's true there. As much as it sucks to not have Spidey in the MCU, it makes sense from both sides. Why would marvel leave room for Spidey 3 on they're MCU slate when they only get 5%. They could be working on Xmen,F4, or a dozen other things they own 100% of. Before spidey was making cameos in other MCU movies but there are none of those coming up with Avengers off the table for a few years atleast. So I get it from both sides. So dont see either side as evil. But if sony makes a stinker with they're next film its gonna be a problem. People are already unfairly on Marvels side.

New rumors out now that Sony is offering Dinsey 30% but Venom has to be in the MCU too. Untill a more reputable source reports it though I'll take it with a huge grain of salt.

New rumors out now that Sony is offering Dinsey 30% but Venom has to be in the MCU too. Untill a more reputable source reports it though I'll take it with a huge grain of salt.
    If thats true, that's sort of an interesting strategy by Sony. Venom did well at the box office, but had fairly mixed reviews. If the MCU an work their magic with Venom and get another billion dollar movie out of it, then Sony would be in pretty good shape with their own muliverse even if they part ways with Marvel again.

It would sort of be weird though, given Venom had his own movie in his own universe that did pretty well. Merging him with the MCU would be sort of weird... though I guess that's somthing marvel has to be able to do given they're getting the Fox properties too.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If thats true, that's sort of an interesting strategy by Sony. Venom did well at the box office, but had fairly mixed reviews. If the MCU an work their magic with Venom and get another billion dollar movie out of it, then Sony would be in pretty good shape with their own muliverse even if they part ways with Marvel again.

It would sort of be weird though, given Venom had his own movie in his own universe that did pretty well. Merging him with the MCU would be sort of weird... though I guess that's somthing marvel has to be able to do given they're getting the Fox properties too.
    Well apparently Feige consulted on the Venom movie a bit too.

Well apparently Feige consulted on the Venom movie a bit too.
    That guy IS busy!
    I have no beef with Vegans

Venom takes place in San Francisco right ? So fairly far away from the MCUs NY, add in that you can have it occuring post fall of Shield its somewhat feasible that no other hero would get involved before its over.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

ME mapped out five ways Sony might agree to letting Spider-Man back in the MCU, all fairly sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Venom takes place in San Francisco right ? So fairly far away from the MCUs NY, add in that you can have it occuring post fall of Shield its somewhat feasible that no other hero would get involved before its over.
    Eddie Brock's disbelief in aliens in a 2018 world would not fit in the MCU, when first contact happened in 2012, per the original Avengers movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Its more than spiderverse, the confidence should come from Sony going back to the past. Look at the xmen , after wtf movies like X3 and origins. they went back to the past to see what worked and where they went wrong. they came back strong with first class, a movie that was perhaps the best portrayal of xavier and magento realtionship and the heaviest political and social driven xmen to date. First class is a better film than x-men 1. I can't say enough about batman coming back strong after batman and robin.

when you stumble, go back to pick yourself up. don't follow a hype that has no staying impact. Holland's spiderman should never even have happened. it was the media and disney that pressured sony to ask for marvel's help. they never needed it. shame it got to this level for sony to find confidence in themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Eddie Brock's disbelief in aliens in a 2018 world would not fit in the MCU, when first contact happened in 2012, per the original Avengers movie.
    People think the earth is flat in 2019.