Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They will circle the wagons to protect Gaetz just like they circled up oust Cheney.
    Cheney remains a member of Congress.

Gaetz has never been a member of Congressional leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    No you are not alone. What I do not get is why masks even for people with shots, and some people including the CDC were saying multiple masks as of two days ago and yesturday morning were needed but now none at all. Has there been enough data to say that masks are not needed.

And now all the anti maskers are going around I knew masks were not needed. It was all show etc...
    The requirements when 80 percent of seniors are vaccinated (and for most of those who aren't, that's a conscious decision) are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Unless you have evidence for the latter, there's no point spreading conspiracy theories from the left. If you have reason to suggest why that might be the case, please present evidence otherwise I must ask you to withdraw that accusation. People who make claims bear the burden of proof. Extraordinary claims carry an higher burden than otherwise.

There's no meaningful evidence, at least electorally to suggest it did. This article points out that electorally it didn't make any real dent:
    https://www.thenation.com/article/po...ng-the-police/

To which I say, in the words of Richard Nixon in SECRET HONOR:

If people, educated adults of voting age, are so easily cheesed off by a slogan that they cannot overcome their curiosity, then those folks are never allies to start with.

From an electoral perspective in a 2-party system with FPTP obviously messaging is important and so on but again that's not the fault of the activists.

Hmmm...this quotation came from BLM George Floyd protestors who went out marching and started the biggest protest movement in the 1960s creating a groundswell of public support and anger (none of which has faded) for creating some of the first meaningful police reforms in decades.

So I question this assertion, this hiding behind flimsy proverbs, which implies that the people who formed this slogan or used the slogan in 2020 weren't part of the solution. Let's be clear the Democrat Party are not the protagonists or main characters of the story for the struggle against police brutality. Activists have mobilized at multiple levels for decades with and without the support of the party functionaries.

Unless the Democrats are willing to become the Bolshevik party and Comintern and start policing and micromanaging or dictating activist movements, they have no grounds to criticize the latter.
    I read his comment as thinking "defund the police" might as well have come from a right-wing troll. Even if you're going with the least generous interpretation of what he said, he never suggested that it was the only possibility.

People do share suspicions on this board with the understanding that it may very well not be the case. One poster suggested that Russian officials might have encouraged the cyberattack as a response to the situation on the border being under control.

The people who struggle against police brutality do need the support of elected officials. It is a bad for a political party if they're seen as being on the same side as unpopular activists, so party leaders do have to sometimes make choices about what they want swing voters to think. It's not about micromanaging activists, as much as making it clear what policies are likely to get implemented.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And while the GQP removed Marjorie Trashy Greene from any Congressional committees she was on, they won't kick her out altogether. In their warped minds, that move would "give the Democrats a win", even though she's been a dumpster fire on two legs ever since she arrived in Washington.
    They didn't. Only 11 Republicans voted to remove her in a mostly Democratic vote. Most of the Republicans in Congress protested the vote as "cancel culture."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They didn't. Only 11 Republicans voted to remove her in a mostly Democratic vote. Most of the Republicans in Congress protested the vote as "cancel culture."
    How many of them were also among the ones who voted to impeach? Without looking it up I'm guessing 9 or 10 (I think only 10 voted to impeach so that's the maximum) are in both groups.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    How many of them were also among the ones who voted to impeach? Without looking it up I'm guessing 9 or 10 (I think only 10 voted to impeach so that's the maximum) are in both groups.
    There were some who voted against Impeachment and were Trumpists who agreed to kick Greene down the stairs. Malliotakis, the Staten Island GOP, was one of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I read his comment as thinking "defund the police" might as well have come from a right-wing troll. Even if you're going with the least generous interpretation of what he said, he never suggested that it was the only possibility.

People do share suspicions on this board with the understanding that it may very well not be the case. One poster suggested that Russian officials might have encouraged the cyberattack as a response to the situation on the border being under control.
    We're now several months away from that, if you are going to trot out gut responses and feelings from months back, I need something to back it up. Otherwise, it's just bad.

It is a bad for a political party if they're seen as being on the same side as unpopular activists,
    1) Activism isn't a popularity context. After all, Gandhi and MLK and Mandela qualified as "unpopular activists" for decades.
    2) Black Lives Matter are not unpopular activists. Not when their name dots major city streets at any rate.

I mean "Defund the Police" is actually painted on the streets of DC, at Black Lives Matter plaza (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter_Plaza).

And contrary to Jim Clyburn, John Lewis never spoke against it when he was alive and visited the place insisting that activists be heard:
    https://www.fox5dc.com/news/its-very...s-matter-plaza

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Isreal is going in on all the war crimes now, isn't it?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Isreal is going in on all the war crimes now, isn't it?
    "AP staffers and other tenants safely evacuated the building after the military telephoned a warning that the strike was imminent within an hour. Three heavy missiles struck the 12-story building, collapsing it in a giant cloud of dust."

Is this one technically a war crime if there's no civilian casualties (thank goodness)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    "AP staffers and other tenants safely evacuated the building after the military telephoned a warning that the strike was imminent within an hour. Three heavy missiles struck the 12-story building, collapsing it in a giant cloud of dust."

Is this one technically a war crime if there's no civilian casualties (thank goodness)?
    Another important question, is this considered an attack on Journalists?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    True. It wouldn't be a good look for Israel if that was the intent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post

I'm sure the US would still support the Israeli government whether it was or wasn't a war crime.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Latest news:

Liz Cheney says she voted for Trump in the election and now she wishes she takes her vote back.
    It’s rather telling that despite all the horrible things that Trump did, the straw that finally broke the camels back for Cheney was Trump inciting a riot that directly put her and her other millionaire colleagues in danger. Not the serious and credible rape allegations, not him defending Nazi’s, and not him putting children in cages. Not even the disastrous way he handled Covid.

But better late than never, I guess? But wow she tolerated a lot, didn’t she? But we should totally praise her principled and fearless actions to steer the Republican Party away from the Trump-fueled insanity ...even though she actively stood by much of that insanity pre-insurrection day. Heck, she wasn’t even that firm about the legitimacy of the election until after January 6. Which leaves me somewhat perplexed on some outlets venerating her as some kind of pro-Democratic hero of sorts. To me, praising a Republican for not lying about an election is kind of praising someone for finally believing that the Earth is round, not flat.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 05-15-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Aren't at least those last pussying out about pushing conspiracies about Trump winning the election when the going got legal tough? Haven't heard about Lou Dobbs not being sued either.

AOC to me made the right call when refusing to brawl the bully on floor and later basically called her a bar drunkard.
    True, but Newsmax and OANN still cheerlead for Trump even if they no longer echo The Big Lie. So they would have MJT on their air, as long as she agrees not to mention the 2020 Presidential election. If all she wants to do is rant about AOC, they'll gladly give her a forum to do so.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    They called ahead, so it's not like they can say it was an accident.

There's no way using words that can define things that it does not qualify as an "attack on Journalists", almost like they're upset that they're reporting other war crimes they're doing, and would like them to stop under threat of being blown up.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    They called ahead, so it's not like they can say it was an accident.

There's no way using words that can define things that it does not qualify as an "attack on Journalists", almost like they're upset that they're reporting other war crimes they're doing, and would like them to stop under threat of being blown up.
    Well, the claim is that Hamas was setting up shop there in the hopes of AP being a "meat/PR shield". Even if true, I'll admit, this "passive" strategy to present Palestine as the "poor bullied lamb" seems to be working on hearts & minds abroad, judging by all the "free Palestine" hashtags. Not helped by the whole martyr romanticism Hamas fostered among the populace.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-15-2021 at 12:28 PM.

I appreciate getting to hear these takes on the latest violence in the Israel-Palestine conflict. If anyone's interested in learning more about the roots of the conflict, and roughly 3,000 years of bloodshed over Jerusalem, I recommend historian Simon Montefiore's book Jerusalem: The Biography. Vigorously researched but written in an accessible manner, the book opened my eyes and turned my stomach at the same time. The adherents of the Abrahamic religions have been fighting over this city forever. It's as fascinating as it is baffling. I almost wonder if the best solution isn't to just utterly demolish the sandbox and force the children to finally grow up.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci