Page 100 of 271 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 4057
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Gotta throw some cold water on this. Just because there are Minorities on the team doesn't mean its an improvement unless the characters have a purpose and are shown doing things.

Lets not get happy yet till we read actual content. Storm joined the Avengers and it was really not worth the effort. She was shown unconscious more than half the time.

Diversity is more than a head count. Its making it count when it matters.
    Let me throw some hot water right back at you. Remender is the former writer of Voodoo's last series and the current writer of Falcon's current series, so its doubtful that he wont have ideas that he wants to pursue with these characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Let me throw some hot water right back at you. Remender is the former writer of Voodoo's last series and the current writer of Falcon's current series, so its doubtful that he wont have ideas that he wants to pursue with these characters.
    That required you to like his current Cap run and if you don't that doesn't gureente you are going to like the next volume of it, that also gambles on if you've liked his Uncanny Avengers stuff and if you didn't then guess what just cause a character you like is in a book doesn't mean it's instantly good or that you should buy it just cause because his style of what he wants to do in those books aren't going to change just cause a few characters got swapped in and out

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    That required you to like his current Cap run and if you don't that doesn't gureente you are going to like the next volume of it, that also gambles on if you've liked his Uncanny Avengers stuff and if you didn't then guess what just cause a character you like is in a book doesn't mean it's instantly good or that you should buy it just cause because his style of what he wants to do in those books aren't going to change just cause a few characters got swapped in and out
    My comments were referring to these characters being minority wallpaper. If you dislike his work,then i guess you wouldn't be happy. Lucky for me, i am a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Only reason why I said "how you look at it" was because of Rouge. Some people feel that a white female isn't classified as a minority.
    Right, my point was that no matter how you look at it, it's four people belonging to racial minorities, and three who don't, so minorities outnumber non-minorities regardless of how you look at it.

Sure, the cast doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the book. I'm not a fan of Remender's general writing style (nor am I actually all that big on Acuna's art - I find it dark and muddy), so I'm doubtful I'll actually pick this book up. The point, though, is that these are minority characters who will be getting used in, presumably, fairly important roles in the book. This isn't going to be like when Storm joined the Avengers for 5 minutes and did nothing. Brother Voodoo will likely have a purpose and do things. Same with Wanda and Quicksilver. Captain Falcon I'm less certain of, in that respect - he'll probably get to do plenty, but it's possible he'll be sidelined a little bit.

Truthfully, of the lot, Rogue's the one I see as being the most at risk of being reduced. She doesn't have her animosity towards Wanda any more, and she doesn't really have any particular connection to anyone else on the team. She has no reason to dislike any of them, but she also doesn't have an existing bond to explore.

Extraordinary Member

Shame Sunfire is gone but that seems to be the slight of hand lately, add from one race and subtract from another
    Sunfire would be a better pick than Creed, imo. This team could use a little more firepower.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Might I remind people what transpired in the Voodoo series. The Main character was whooped like a racehorse/

Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 10-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Shame Sunfire is gone but that seems to be the slight of hand lately, add from one race and subtract from another
    In this case, I suspect it is a matter of him just not really working as a member of the updated team. He has no good reason to be there, so he's not there. I do feel like this team suggests a less grim, miserable, combative tone. There may be some conflict between Wanda, Quicksilver and Vision. And Quicksilver's always been a dick, of course. And Sabretooth's a bastard, though if he's still inverted, then he's going to be a more Wolverine-like bastard. But for the most part, the team seems to be made up of people who actually shouldn't have much of a conflict with each other. I can't see Sam and Rogue having any issues with each other, for example, especially since Remender seems to have had the current team actually coming together as friends.

So, Sunfire is likely gone because he doesn't serve the story any more. Not because a minority slot was being filled by someone else.

BANNED

Looks like DC is playing a game of catch me if you can. Possible Female Robin in the new Batman vs Superman movie. Your Move.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ba...in-1201332852/

Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 10-17-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Sunfire would be a better pick than Creed, imo. This team could use a little more firepower.
    I'm not sure Sunfire is gone for good in any event.

There are only 7 Avengers shown in those preview covers.

Even the splinter Avenger teams haven't been that small in a while. So maybe
    Sunfire and Thor show up later.

Or more likely, Havok and Wasp.

He can't be done with them yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    In this case, I suspect it is a matter of him just not really working as a member of the updated team. He has no good reason to be there, so he's not there. I do feel like this team suggests a less grim, miserable, combative tone. There may be some conflict between Wanda, Quicksilver and Vision. And Quicksilver's always been a dick, of course. And Sabretooth's a bastard, though if he's still inverted, then he's going to be a more Wolverine-like bastard. But for the most part, the team seems to be made up of people who actually shouldn't have much of a conflict with each other. I can't see Sam and Rogue having any issues with each other, for example, especially since Remender seems to have had the current team actually coming together as friends.

So, Sunfire is likely gone because he doesn't serve the story any more. Not because a minority slot was being filled by someone else.

That's a whole lot of assumption

This team ain't grim!

Ignoring the fact a recently revived guy is on it who might trip out about that, Rouge and oh yeah Sabertooth( he's just known for his whimsy )

That's a whole lot of assumption

This team ain't grim!

Ignoring the fact a recently revived guy is on it who might trip out about that, Rouge and oh yeah Sabertooth( he's just known for his whimsy )
    Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. There's obviously plenty of conflict to be had, still. Wanda, Quicksilver and Vision have some issues to work out, I would think. Sabretooth will likely be in anti-hero mode, still affected by the Axis inversion (I'm guessing), but he'll still likely be a bastard, so there's going to be plenty of conflict there. I doubt Brother Voodoo will have that much angst about his death - characters seldom really do, and I'm not expecting Remender to want to dwell on it much. Rogue isn't actually normally a source of conflict - Remender just wrote her as an insufferable bitch in order to inject some conflict in, because the only team stories he knows how to write are the ones where everyone hates each other.

Actually, the one thing that's a question mark, to me, is the Axis effects. It's possible that some of these characters actually will be much more dickish than they normally would be. If that's the case, then ugh, Remender will need to get a new damned trick.

We'll see.

Gotta throw some cold water on this. Just because there are Minorities on the team doesn't mean its an improvement unless the characters have a purpose and are shown doing things.

Lets not get happy yet till we read actual content. Storm joined the Avengers and it was really not worth the effort. She was shown unconscious more than half the time.

Diversity is more than a head count. Its making it count when it matters.
    I get what you are saying BUT last time this series launched it had far less diversity (3 women, one of which is a Gypsy; and yet THREE blonde haired, blue eyed straight men). So while yes this doesn't mean it will be perfect, it is a step in the right direction. Doesn't mean Remender will have anymore sensitivity when it comes to minority issues, just means "on some level" he is learning. Plus with Voodoo back, I MUST pick this up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    You tell no lie. I thought he was gone for good given the track record for dead black males in fiction.
    Yeah I'm glad eds okay'd bringing him back, and having two (?) titles featuring more than just one black male.

It's not "how you look at it," actually. Wanda and Quicksilver are half-Jewish, half-Gypsy, and were raised by Gypsies. They're not people of colour, but they definitely belong to a minority group. So that's four people belonging to real minority groups, and three who do.
    Europeans commonly call Rroma "the n*****s of Europe".

BANNED

Looks like DC is playing a game of catch me if you can. Possible Female Robin in the new Batman vs Superman movie. Your Move.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ba...in-1201332852/

Nice, glad to see it.

Astonishing Member

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. There's obviously plenty of conflict to be had, still. Wanda, Quicksilver and Vision have some issues to work out, I would think. Sabretooth will likely be in anti-hero mode, still affected by the Axis inversion (I'm guessing), but he'll still likely be a bastard, so there's going to be plenty of conflict there. I doubt Brother Voodoo will have that much angst about his death - characters seldom really do, and I'm not expecting Remender to want to dwell on it much. Rogue isn't actually normally a source of conflict - Remender just wrote her as an insufferable bitch in order to inject some conflict in, because the only team stories he knows how to write are the ones where everyone hates each other.

Actually, the one thing that's a question mark, to me, is the Axis effects. It's possible that some of these characters actually will be much more dickish than they normally would be. If that's the case, then ugh, Remender will need to get a new damned trick.

We'll see.
    Creed is scum. Having Creed on the Avengers is like having the Red Skull start dating Kitty Pryde. Daken would have made more sense especially after the last story arc. Still love this line up. Secretly hoping that Drumm manages to seperate Simon from Rogue and into Vision's body, and then have Si Vision leave Wanda for Rogue. Just old scholl X-men soap opera junk. And if Wanda needs a shoulder to cry on, I am sure Y2Voodoo can save her