Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Routh is so freaking good it hurts.

Heh. A lot of older (as in not first-timer) Superman fans had issues with Superman Returns. A lot of OT Star Wars fans had problems with the Prequel Trilogies. But these days, the PT seems to be appreciated more than before, and Routh's Superman is getting a lot of love here even from fans who didn't necessarily love Superman Returns, or its portrayal of Superman.

What I'm trying to say is that one way to get an old fan to appreciate something better is to release a new version that's worse.

Jokes aside, nice KC tribute, down to the over-the-top dialogue.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Heh. A lot of older (as in not first-timer) Superman fans had issues with Superman Returns. A lot of OT Star Wars fans had problems with the Prequel Trilogies. But these days, the PT seems to be appreciated more than before, and Routh's Superman is getting a lot of love here even from fans who didn't necessarily love Superman Returns, or its portrayal of Superman.

What I'm trying to say is that one way to get an old fan to appreciate something better is to release a new version that's worse.

I never had a problem with routh's superman. Plane rescue and farm jumping scenes where my favourite. My problem was with the whole lois and the kid subplot. Ironically, that's my problem here as well. I didn't need Hoechlin’s superman to appreciate that superman. I have appreciated it before.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

To be fair, Routh himself was never the problem with SR. It was the plot.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    To be fair, Routh himself was never the problem with SR. It was the plot.
    Same could be said about Cavill. Or even Cain or Hoechlin now

I'd say we've been pretty lucky that nearly all the guys chosen for live Action Supes have fit the role and were worthy. Yes some like Chris Reeve set a higher bench mark than others,but they've all done the part justice. It's usually the scripts and stories that let them down .

Of course the lone exception is the guy that played him in the horrible television adaptation of the Superman musical back in the 70s. He was horrible.

I also think Brandon needed to get a little age on him,to grow into the role. He came off too young and boyish to be playing the Chris Reeve Superman a decade or so older than the version we saw in 1978. Plus the suit he wore in the film didn't do him any favors. By far the worst live action Superman suit to date ,and that even takes into account the 50s George Reeves show and Dean Cain's various suits. This suit however is damn near perfect on a TV budget.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-09-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I got love for the 1975 musical guy!!! I literally had just started reading comics and my aunt called my mom to tell her there was some “Superman show” coming on at 11:30. I remember having my S shirt and my towel around my neck waiting for it. I only saw maybe 20 minutes because 11:30pm was pretty late for me at the time. I remember being so excited! My first live action Superman!

I admit I haven’t had the guts to watch it again though.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This suit however is damn near perfect on a TV budget.
    Which is why I'm hoping this isn't the last we see of this particular Superman. It would be a shame for that great suit to go to waste after just one use. For all the grief Supergirl gets, I don't think anyone saw it as a way to get the Donner Superman back! Or Smallville!
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Which is why I'm hoping this isn't the last we see of this particular Superman. It would be a shame for that great suit to go to waste after just one use. For all the grief Supergirl gets, I don't think anyone saw it as a way to get the Donner Superman back! Or Smallville!
    Well, it seems Routh is not playing the Donner Superman...he's the Kingdom Come Superman; he describes the inciting incident of that story in the trailer for...is it tonight? And his costume is that one as well. Was that who you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, it seems Routh is not playing the Donner Superman...he's the Kingdom Come Superman; he describes the inciting incident of that story in the trailer for...is it tonight? And his costume is that one as well. Was that who you meant?
    Apparently he's both! He just said this isn't the first time he's fought himself!
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Apparently he's both! He just said this isn't the first time he's fought himself!
    Well, if that's the case what about the kid?

Incredible Member

Yeah. Guggenheim said something to imply all 4 Reeve movies and a version of SR ALL happened.

He has more chemistry with Bitsy Tulloch than Hoechlin.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Yeah. Guggenheim said something to imply all 4 Reeve movies and a version of SR ALL happened.

He has more chemistry with Bitsy Tulloch than Hoechlin.
    Years ago when SR came out ,I worked out a timeline in my head where all 4 movies took place alongside SR. All you have to do is have SR still occur right after SMII but then have Superman III and IV occur after SR. Thematically it sorta works if you squint a bit. ma Kent passes away shortly after SR so that way the reference to Ma being gone in III and IV work. It also makes sense that Clark would then move on from Lois and rekindle a relationship with Lana and pursue a brief courtship with Lacey Warfield. Then with this he eventually found his way back to Lois and married her before that fateful encounter with The Joker.

I can now slot CRISIS in as the next (and hopefully not last ) chapter of his adventures. I know Routh has left Legends of Tomorrow officially but God what I wouldn't give to see his Superman hang out with them for awhile after Crisis,or after the Monitor bites it (which if it follows the original majorStory beats he will) maybe Donner Superman becomes guardian and protector of the remaining multiverse or the cosmos A,shail I dare say it,a Superman prime?

Anyway,I find it funny that a Batman related show essentially was a Superman love letter tonight! Very cool.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-09-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, if that's the case what about the kid?
    He mentioned he had a son named Jason.

spoilers:
    Welling turned out to be manwhohaseverything’s nightmare. his cameo was fun but I guess his Superman career didn’t amount to much
    end of spoilers
    Ray and Clark was funny. The battle of the Kals was neat but the cgi was wonky.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-09-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    spoilers:
    heh, Welling turned out to be manwhohaseverything’s nightmare. Lol, his cameo was fun but I guess his Superman career didn’t amount to much
    end of spoilers
    Ray and Clark was funny. The battle of the Kals was neat but the cgi was wonky.
    That was one of my predictions. I knew there was no way they were going to get Welling back without a "compromise".
    Assassinate Putin!