Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #772 Discussion/Spoilers

Spoilers.

Eyyyy, another solid issue!

Looks like Dr. Psycho wasn’t as dealt with as we though, he pulled a proper fast-one on Diana with that evil twin illusion. Also the mystery person was Deadman, who was also apparently reviving Diana himself but he won’t be able to do that anymore so no more of Diana getting “killed” (unless she learns how to revive herself like Odin does or something).
    Also looks like her powers are tied to her memories in the after life, so the more she remembers the stronger she’ll get. And it looks like 3 issues of teasing the Valkyrie’s will pay off in the next issue (please be Gundra).

Also is there no backup story this issue? It’s in the solicitation...
    I’m wondering if there was an error with the digital issues.

I love this so much. At the moment Wonder Woman is easily my favorite ongoing.

Cloonan & Conrad write banter so well. Odin is absolutely hilarious. That's how I like Elder Gods.

I didn't expect to see Dr. Psycho again so soon. But it is his safe-place, soooo.

Seeing Diana jump over the warriors and then fly was so cool. I'm looking forward to what the team will do with a fully powered and non-amnesiac Diana.

Can't wait to finally see the Valkyries. Their Fortress definitely has character.

I'm also missing the backup on digital.

Yeah, when they said fortress, I expected, like, a castle, but we get a floating crystal structure looking like it’s straight out of Gem World (which is amazing).

Also, yeah there must be some error with the digital issue since there’s no backup but the cover freaking says it’s there.
    Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-11-2021 at 02:48 AM.

I really wasn't expecting to like this book so much. For one thing it was another mythology driven story, except now it was norse myth. Plus it was from a creative team I had never heard of. But this freaking fantastic. It's full of energy and it's a great exploration of Diana's characterization. Putting Dr Psycho in there was genius, and I was so excited when they revealed Boston Brand. He didn't do or say much, but I love that dynamic. Just the other day I was talking about bringing back the astral plane and having Diana meet up with him up there, and I guess it's sort of happening.

And it seems like Psycho's powers are physical illusions. The sword broke right?

And the artwork, man. The best art of the month has gone to Wonder Woman ever since the beginning of the month. I mean, damn. Future State was very nice with Joelle Jones and Jen Bartel, but this is straight up fire. It's so freaking beautiful and interesting to look at.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-11-2021 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I really wasn't expecting to like this book so much. For one thing it was another mythology driven story, except now it was borse myth. Plus it was from a creative team I had never heard of. But this freaking fantastic. It's full of energy and it's a great exploration of Diana's characterization. Putting Dr Psycho in there was genius, and I was so excited when they revealed Boston Brand. He didn't do or say much, but I love that dynamic. Just the other day I was talking about bringing back the astral plane and having Diana meet up with him up there, and I guess it's sort of happening.

And it seems like Psycho's powers are physical illusions. The sword broke right?
    Well they are all astral beings, same with the sword. It makes sense he would be at his most powerful in an astral realm and able to conjure solid illusions.

Good issue. My main takeaway is apparently Aquaman smells awful according to Diana's memories.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Spoilers.

Eyyyy, another solid issue!

Looks like Dr. Psycho wasn’t as dealt with as we though, he pulled a proper fast-one on Diana with that evil twin illusion. Also the mystery person was Deadman, who was also apparently reviving Diana himself but he won’t be able to do that anymore so no more of Diana getting “killed” (unless she learns how to revive herself like Odin does or something).
    Also looks like her powers are tied to her memories in the after life, so the more she remembers the stronger she’ll get. And it looks like 3 issues of teasing the Valkyrie’s will pay off in the next issue (please be Gundra).

Also is there no backup story this issue? It’s in the solicitation...
    I’m wondering if there was an error with the digital issues.
    Same error for me with the digital issue. Think I'll send in an error for their customer support.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-11-2021 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Good issue. My main takeaway is apparently Aquaman smells awful according to Diana's memories.
    Well, they say nothing triggers memory like sent. Quick! Someone get Diana to a beach! Maybe it will remind her of Themyscira!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Same issue for me with the digital issue. Think I'll send in an error for their customer support.
    Good idea.

Incredible Member

Another darkly fun romp filled with heart.

There seems to be some magic-side of the DCU world-building, too. Deadman mentions Yggdrasil being an Elder and the Parliament of Trees and then later Odin references some sort of Council. Considering they are in the Sphere of the Gods, could the Council be composed of deities from multiple Pantheons?

Fortress Valkyrie looks great and imposing. Diana flying next to Thor made me grin. It all looks so good and like the creative team is loving their jobs.

3 issues in and still on a hot streak. I haven't had this much fun reading WW in a long time. I don't think WW has been this fun in a long time. Even when the book is good, it's usually so...serious.

3 issues in and I haven't been this excited for the main title since Rucka's Rebirth run.

If we don't get Gundra at this point I'll be crushed. They're setting up the Valkyries as major players and Gundra is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

3 issues in and still on a hot streak. I haven't had this much fun reading WW in a long time. I don't think WW has been this fun in a long time. Even when the book is good, it's usually so...serious.
    I remember when they announced the creative team and posted a description for their run: "full of action and will allow Wonder Woman to have some fun".

I thought that was such a strange description because it felt generic. But the more I thought about it the more it made sense. And what you pointed out is the reason why. Ever since the Perez run I feel like Wonder Woman has been mostly super serious with a few moments of great stories that still manage to make Diana fun to be around (like William Messner-Loebs). And this book is a great story that makes Diana a pretty fun person to be around.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-11-2021 at 06:00 AM.

100% agree. The sort of sarcastic/winking tone is just so damn appreciated at this point. The last few runs have been so focused on world-ending threats and personal dramas that I'm thrilled to see Wonder Woman having fun for once.

Can Ratatosk be adopted into the Wonder Family?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Another darkly fun romp filled with heart.

There seems to be some magic-side of the DCU world-building, too. Deadman mentions Yggdrasil being an Elder and the Parliament of Trees and then later Odin references some sort of Council. Considering they are in the Sphere of the Gods, could the Council be composed of deities from multiple Pantheons?

Fortress Valkyrie looks great and imposing. Diana flying next to Thor made me grin. It all looks so good and like the creative team is loving their jobs.

My favorite panel too.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Can Ratatosk be adopted into the Wonder Family?
    Oh cmon. We all know that little guy is gonna turn out to be the villain. But he is funny

The backup story seems to be added on now.