Did Surge do anything??
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Did Surge do anything??
    Nah she just cameo queen'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Back in the day, writers would spend the time to read up on the characters they’re about to write. While he’s more extreme, I recall Kurt Busiek saying he reread tons of comics to prepare for his stellar Avengers gig. And it shows.
    Busiek is a walking encyclopedia on comic book characters. I know Orlando is also very good on DC comics characters bios, not sure if he is the same on Marvel heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    She became the Morrigan in 2012... I didn’t realize very recent was almost a decade ago. New X-Men is also over a decade.

We’re not gonna get any new/ fresh writers if we expect them all to have intimate knowledge of every single x-comic published in the last 50-60 years (that’s why editors exist). Even older writers like Duggan have gaps in knowledge. He admitted in a podcast recently that he didn’t know that Cable and Domino were ever romantically involved.
    one decade isn't a lot on comics and x-factor continued until 2015, so the development s very fresh on people's head

If a writer doesn't do their homework they should be writing big two comics, continuity and characterization are a huge deal. Even actors have a marvel unlimited to study about their chaarcters.
    I don't mean they have to know everything about characters, every detail. That would be impossible
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-13-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Bringing back Rachel's chronoskimming and making it useful... Truth about the editors, but we all know they have not been on their game over the past few years.
    Wasn't it the editor that mentioned to Leah that Rachel had "time powers"? And really...the use in this issue was described as chronoskimming, but it was really just telepathy.

Also, I had no idea whatsoever what Polaris was meant to have done to the Morrigan at the end of last issue until it was explained this time. That whole sequence just failed to hit for me - a big splashy page with Rachel (who had something obvious to do) and Lorna (who didn't as such) and then Siryn was herself again?

And if we're talking about the thing in general - there's no obvious line even at basically-the-end-of-the-arc between how Siryn got from being the new Morrigan, with the old one having passed the blessing/curse onto her, to her status in this book with the old one back and geasing/possessing her. (Granted, that one's partly on Hickman, who just had her back to normal in the end-of-HoXPoX party with no context)

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Wasn't it the editor that mentioned to Leah that Rachel had "time powers"? And really...the use in this issue was described as chronoskimming, but it was really just telepathy.
    Yes Jordan reminded Leah of that because a) Jordan is a big Rachel fan and has always valued her time powers and 4th dimensional pulse; and b) since her return to the past in Cable in the early 2000's editors in large had determined that her time powers were lost or to be ignored. I remember Yost saying that he wanted to do something with her powers when writing her in the Starjammers and the editors told him those powers were off limits at that point. I think Jordan was saying "yes and her time powers can be used again so have fun" and she was even more delighted to have Rachel on the team.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    No, read my post again: limited knowledge of canon + writing that mix the worse of Whedon with Bendis.

Some time ago she didnt even knew Monet was Emma's alumn
    And had the fantasy of having them be lovers. Ugh until fans clued her in on why that's gross. But in general we have writers that don't know much about the characters they're writing, and don't bother doing any research on them either, which is easier nowadays than it ever was before.

Extraordinary Member

When has Northstar interacted with Moonstar and Karma? They were acting like best buds. 'I missed you both so much.' Since when is that a thing?

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

All kvetching aside, I'm extremely grateful to Leah for managing to at least bring Shatterstar "home", even if the few pages dedicated to the rescue were extremely rushed and largely non-sensical. Mojo is a powerful sorcerer and yet Magik was able to make him cower? Give me a break. I'm really getting sick of seeing her pop in and out of issues like Wolverine. No mention of X-Treme or Spiral who had potentially fascinating backstories of their own. We don't know how the group resolved the brainwashing caused by the psychic shield neural implant or its removal. Hell, we don't even know how 'Star got there in the first place.

This reminds me how Peter David faced a similar predicament of his X-Factor's impending end and how he condensed Shatterstar's origin, a thing he had teased with Longshot since issue #217, into a similarly perplexing one-issue mess. Going back even further to 1996, it happened with Joph Loeb's incredibly rushed and convoluted Benjamin Russell storyline that was so bad PAD had to ignore it.

I guess what I trying to say is that I’m tired of seeing Shatterstar get the **** end of the stick. It should be noted that ‘Star is only the second adult child of two Earth 616 X-Men and I really wish he got the exposure, respect and fanfare that Cable generated. I give mad props to Leah for including him in her title and I’m intrigued by the potential curse/spell the Morrigan placed on him. I’m also piqued by the “bond” that was made between ‘Star and Rictor. In 2019 the Shatterstar mini had Rictor saving ‘Star’s life by pulling him free from the void between teleports. Excalibur teased how mutants can join their powers under the pretense of “mutant magic” and it appears that nuanced relationship may be explored further. It would be intriguing to see a sort of Yin-Yang power balance between the two: Rictor the mutant embodiment of earth/life and ‘Star the avatar of battle/death. Only time will tell.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    All kvetching aside, I'm extremely grateful to Leah for managing to at least bring Shatterstar "home", even if the few pages dedicated to the rescue were extremely rushed and largely non-sensical. Mojo is a powerful sorcerer and yet Magik was able to make him cower? Give me a break. I'm really getting sick of seeing her pop in and out of issues like Wolverine. No mention of X-Treme or Spiral who had potentially fascinating backstories of their own. We don't know how the group resolved the brainwashing caused by the psychic shield neural implant or its removal. Hell, we don't even know how 'Star got there in the first place.

This reminds me how Peter David faced a similar predicament of his X-Factor's impending end and how he condensed Shatterstar's origin, a thing he had teased with Longshot since issue #217, into a similarly perplexing one-issue mess. Going back even further to 1996, it happened with Joph Loeb's incredibly rushed and convoluted Benjamin Russell storyline that was so bad PAD had to ignore it.

I guess what I trying to say is that I’m tired of seeing Shatterstar get the **** end of the stick. It should be noted that ‘Star is only the second adult child of two Earth 616 X-Men and I really wish he got the exposure, respect and fanfare that Cable generated. I give mad props to Leah for including him in her title and I’m intrigued by the potential curse/spell the Morrigan placed on him. I’m also piqued by the “bond” that was made between ‘Star and Rictor. In 2019 the Shatterstar mini had Rictor saving ‘Star’s life by pulling him free from the void between teleports. Excalibur teased how mutants can join their powers under the pretense of “mutant magic” and it appears that nuanced relationship may be explored further. It would be intriguing to see a sort of Yin-Yang power balance between the two: Rictor the mutant embodiment of earth/life and ‘Star the avatar of battle/death. Only time will tell.
    Mojo was already cowed by Dani using her fear powers on him, possibly with some help from Karma. As for Mojo being a sorcerer, Magik is someone who makes the likes of Dormammu cower and is easily one of the top sorcerers in the Marvel Universe. Mojo'd be an idiot not to be afraid of her.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Oh god. Monkey's paw situation. then again...

Yes, Daken was way too wholesome. Like I get that he's changed to not be as crazy but he should still keep the core of being manipulative and self-serving. He was just slightly narcissistic instead.
    Nice to see a functioning team and society working with characters that fit within the dark triad of personality traits. Narcissism is a spectrum.

Now that the mutants are working like corporation, does that mean that for xfactor, the big bad competitor is Death itself? And the protocols involve negotiation with the deaths agents involving acquisitions for resurrection (or more accurately reincarnation)?

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Mojo was already cowed by Dani using her fear powers on him, possibly with some help from Karma. As for Mojo being a sorcerer, Magik is someone who makes the likes of Dormammu cower and is easily one of the top sorcerers in the Marvel Universe. Mojo'd be an idiot not to be afraid of her.
    I'm genuinely curious if you're pulling your knowledge of Mojo's powers from the recent watered-down depictions of him or if you're just a rabid fan of Magik and her over-blown abilities? Marvel is transforming its mutants into becoming immortal near-gods and it's becoming really annoying because they appear to be able to suddenly cow established supervillains into pathetic mockeries of their past glory. Yeah, "today" she made Mojo wet himself. As someone who's been following the Mojoverse since its inception way back in 1985, I call bullsh*t.

When has Northstar interacted with Moonstar and Karma? They were acting like best buds. 'I missed you both so much.' Since when is that a thing?
    I wondered this too. I suppose technically they did all serve together as teachers and squad advisors, which Karma stepping in for Northstar on Alpha Squadron after he was killed. Until then she was still the school's librarian so they may have interacted behind the scenes. If I remember correctly, wasnt it Dani who gave his eulogy to the students?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    I'm genuinely curious if you're pulling your knowledge of Mojo's powers from the recent watered-down depictions of him or if you're just a rabid fan of Magik and her over-blown abilities? Marvel is transforming its mutants into becoming immortal near-gods and it's becoming really annoying because they appear to be able to suddenly cow established supervillains into pathetic mockeries of their past glory. Yeah, "today" she made Mojo wet himself. As someone who's been following the Mojoverse since its inception way back in 1985, I call bullsh*t.
    He was wetting himself before she even showed up. Dani was using her fear powers on him. Why aren't you calling BS on Dani and Karma holding his arms in place when Magik arrives? Why is it ok for Mojo to be cowed by Dani and Karma but not Magik? I admit that I'm not the biggest expert on Mojo. My understanding is that his limits have never been properly defined and that he can mind-control a planet, though I've seen teenagers break his mind control. You seem to be implying that he on his own is a match for the likes of Mephisto or Dormammu or Dr. Strange.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 05-13-2021 at 03:25 PM.

IDC what anyone says the fact this is only going to be 10 issues while X-Force & Excalibur will be 20 plus is criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I wondered this too. I suppose technically they did all serve together as teachers and squad advisors, which Karma stepping in for Northstar on Alpha Squadron after he was killed. Until then she was still the school's librarian so they may have interacted behind the scenes. If I remember correctly, wasnt it Dani who gave his eulogy to the students?
    Dani, Karma, and Northstar were the three X-Men acting as full-time teachers back in Academy X days (at least until Northstar got offed). So they likely had to coordinate pretty closely as colleagues. And yeah, Dani was one of the speakers at his funeral and was plenty PO'd by how things went down after he died.

Plus Karma was Northstar's teammate during Liu's Astonishing X-Men run.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-13-2021 at 05:45 PM.