Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Oh man, no, I LOVE the original. The remake falls apart the farther into it you get. The original stays great.

On that note, the helicopter they case in TWD that leads them to Woodville, is supposed to be the helicopter from Dawn of the Dead. You can see the character's heads in the Governors fishtanks. A fun little easter egg.
    Oh man, that is just awesome. I freaking love that show.

But I do have trouble with the original Dawn. The zombies are too obviously actors in makeup. Color was new, they weren't used to it, and couldn't get away with it the same as in Night of the Living Dead. By the time Day of the Dead was done, they had it figured out. But Dawn of the Dead looked really amateurish. Which is a shame, because it had a more interesting story than Night did.

I meant in the comic. The show didn't do that.

I love the zombies in Dawn. I love the blue tone to them. I think it's wonderful.

It was green. And the skin near the eyes and lips was normal, as if they were afraid to get too close with the makeup. Seriously, you never noticed how fake that looked? Ah, but I didn't see it til I'd reached my fifties. It's still a recent memory to me. Doesn't bear up to today's standards at all. Maybe if I'd watched it in the 70s.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-04-2017 at 11:53 AM.

I remember. I just don't care. I'm not saying it's amazing work, just that I like the story enough that '70s make up effects don't detract from it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I remember. I just don't care. I'm not saying it's amazing work, just that I like the story enough that '70s make up effects don't detract from it for me.
    Same here for me. In fact, this is one of my big issues with CGI in movies over practical effects. Moviemakers sometimes assume we care too much about silly details that will be silly no matter what they do.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

It'd have a hard time flying today, but given when it was made I have no issues with its effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Same here for me. In fact, this is one of my big issues with CGI in movies over practical effects. Moviemakers sometimes assume we care too much about silly details that will be silly no matter what they do.
    I agree that CG effects should be used when it saves time and money. Outside of the occasional green screening, it doesn't where zombies are concerned. Someone turning shouldn't look like Banner Hulking out. For some things, the old ways are best.

That said, I grew up in the 60s and 70s. Before computers got involved, special effects were pretty pathetic. I thank God for CGI.

Astonishing Member

I am a child of the 80´s and must say, i love handmade stuff. The Ninja Turles? Gremlins? Critters? Some CGI from today makes me cringe. So bad, so soulless. Mind it, not every CGI is bad, but some of them are really awful in contrast to the production cost...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I am a child of the 80´s and must say, i love handmade stuff. The Ninja Turles? Gremlins? Critters? Some CGI from today makes me cringe. So bad, so soulless. Mind it, not every CGI is bad, but some of them are really awful in contrast to the production cost...
    The biggest problem with CG art lies in living things. The eyes, in particular, are really tough to get right. Too often they look like the dead things they are. But faces are problematic as well. Often they only look great from just one or two angles, and the rest is just blah. That's why most of what you see in CG looks like a comic strip. Simple models with really large eyes.

As an art student, though, I love to see realistic 3d renditions. They do get better and better, and when artists are encouraged to excel, the results can be astounding. But as a gamer, I know that a basic, simple fact is that no matter how realistic the environment, there always comes a point where the mind adjusts, and sees the artificiality at all times. All of that work by so many people, and in the end the mind rejects it as fake.

So yeah, it should be used judiciously. It's not really a fit replacement for traditional cartooning. Especially since a key element to making cartoons work is the viewer's imagination. Animators walk a fine line, needing to be able to recognize when to let imagination do its work. Another reason for the cartoony look. Rendering in 3d (as well as viewing in 3d stereo vision) may look great, but the viewer kind of needs to ignore it all in order to appreciate the more basic, hands-on design.

I don't know if that makes sense. I'm trying to describe something that sequential artists have known all along. That what isn't shown titillates the imagination, and makes the unreal seem real. When the mind has to fill details, in some ways it uses the heart, and the result is a richer impression, whether because detail is boring exposition or whatever. In comics, though, the mind fills in the action between panels. You may not see Batman's arm move, or his fist strike. But he seems to move all the same.

And, again, it's possible that all of that beautiful detail painted under and over the ink work makes the imagination's job that much harder. I haven't really decided. I was always in it for the art, you see. So I'm just thrilled to see it.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Thats a very fine explanation!

The worst thing with CGI are explosions. Why do that with CGI when you can blow up a real car? It worked and felt real every time.

Ah, we are straning too far from the TWD thread here...but still...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Thats a very fine explanation!

The worst thing with CGI are explosions. Why do that with CGI when you can blow up a real car? It worked and felt real every time.

Ah, we are straning too far from the TWD thread here...but still...
    Almost forgot what forum I was on. Braaaiins!!

I'm really enjoying how cinematic the approach with the panels has been of late; lots of non-verbal stuff happening but yet it still feels so TWD, which is great.

I'm intrigued by Princess so far but not overly...I'm also intrigued as to what Dwight has planned.

Not long now for #174 (!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Reager View Post
    I'm really enjoying how cinematic the approach with the panels has been of late; lots of non-verbal stuff happening but yet it still feels so TWD, which is great.

I'm intrigued by Princess so far but not overly...I'm also intrigued as to what Dwight has planned.

Not long now for #174 (!)
    I know, right? There was this one scene where the group came on a bridge, and I could practically hear the wind blow and leaves skitter. Awesome.TWD 170 (17).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    I know, right? There was this one scene where the group came on a bridge, and I could practically hear the wind blow and leaves skitter. Awesome.TWD 170 (17).jpg
    Thank you, that’s exactly what appealed to me when I wrote that.

Cheers!

Finally, issue #174...!

Focused on Negan, which was interesting...I actually didn’t see Maggie coming to throw the red herring in there...and the ending definitely intrigued me as to what happens next with Negan...

Not bad.
    Iron Man fan