Page 703 of 745 FirstFirst ... 203603653693699700701702703704705706707713 ... LastLast
Results 10,531 to 10,545 of 11164

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I like this one a lot. Bear with the early part it's not broken that's intended

That is really well done. I am more excited so far for this season then last and that is saying something. Lorna finally gets her badly underused and undervalued political side used in something that will leave a long term impression.

Last season she had her ass kicking boots on for most of the season which was great, especially as they focused on her better comic depiction ass kicking boots (early on more JM's run and ANXF), but over time slowly got into Austen territory with its own unique spin on it in terms of Lorna as an in the field warrior.

Now we get an aspect of Lorna's character much less used in the comics over the years though I would argue one that is no less important for the character reaching her original potential and that is her political and leadership side. Its going to be very tough for the character as any revolutionary movement is going to have others with their own ideas wanting them instituted and to take power.

Last I really do trust her story isn't going to be centered around being half a couple or writers as they very often do in the comics use her story as a proxy to write her love interest which Matt Nix admitted they were sort of going to do with some of their early plans and the comics did for decades.

Anyway Emma posts with an elaborate outfit covered over.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

There's no way of knowing one hundred percent or not, but it seems as if maybe Marvel is introducing a version of the Strucker kids in the next event. They also could be just completely random mutants with no affiliation. Regardless, if Marvel comics IS embracing elements of The Gifted, hopefully that will bode well for Polaris' future. With her being such a big player on the show, maybe she'll actually get treated as an individual and not so much as a supporting character for other people. Not trying to get my hopes too high, but it could be a good sign!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    There's no way of knowing one hundred percent or not, but it seems as if maybe Marvel is introducing a version of the Strucker kids in the next event. They also could be just completely random mutants with no affiliation. Regardless, if Marvel comics IS embracing elements of The Gifted, hopefully that will bode well for Polaris' future. With her being such a big player on the show, maybe she'll actually get treated as an individual and not so much as a supporting character for other people. Not trying to get my hopes too high, but it could be a good sign!
    The creator is asking fans who are these kids which I don't think they would be doing if they were completely newly invented characters or not connected to any existing characters somehow.

But, yes last year The Gifted was pretty well blacklisted as far as synergy and promotion went while a certain other set of characters appearing on TV were everywhere across games and multiple comic series. It only started lightening up at the start of this year for The Gifted and only a tiny bit to date though changes in policy have delayed impacts.

In terms of the comic version of Lorna I agree she should transition away from being a supporting character in other characters stories with Fresh Start. I felt Blue early on might perhaps was going to go the route of two teams one be the do what is necessary X-Force like team Lorna would lead and the 05 Xavier's dream team, but it didn't come out that way and it more turned into the replacement more adult 05 for a one and done arc.

The real question is what is right for Lorna next. I think comic Lorna needs an independent agenda back the type of which she hasn't had since pre-Decimation. I would rather have a Lorna with her own goals and agenda and her reoccurring or leading a reoccurring team then her as a tertiary character on an ongoing to support other characters stories.

I believe it would be better for the character long term as well. What do you think?
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-12-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The creator is asking fans who are these kids which I don't think they would be doing if they were completely newly invented characters or not connected to any existing characters somehow.

But, yes last year The Gifted was pretty well blacklisted as far as synergy and promotion went while the Inhumans were everywhere across games and multiple comic series. It only started lightening up at the start of this year for The Gifted and only a tiny bit to date though changes in policy have delayed impacts.

In terms of the comic version of Lorna I agree she should transition away from being a supporting character in other characters stories with Fresh Start. I felt Blue early on might perhaps was going to go the route of two teams one be the do what is necessary X-Force like team Lorna would lead and the 05 Xavier's dream team, but it didn't come out that way and it more turned into the replacement more adult 05 for a one and done arc.

The real question is what is right for Lorna next. I think comic Lorna needs an independent agenda back the type of which she hasn't had since pre-Decimation. I would rather have a Lorna with her own goals and agenda and her reoccurring or leading a reoccurring team then her as a tertiary character on an ongoing to support other characters stories.

I believe it would be better for the character long term as well. What do you think?
    Lorna definitely needs a larger motivation than what she's been given lately. I'd love to see her continue to develop as a leader, with a larger focus on Mutants in general, just not the generic saving the entire world. I've always like the idea of her leading something like X-Treme X-Men. A team comprised of mutants who largely serve outside of the typical X-Men team. Though I don't think they would revive that title tbh.

Lorna definitely needs a larger motivation than what she's been given lately. I'd love to see her continue to develop as a leader, with a larger focus on Mutants in general, just not the generic saving the entire world. I've always like the idea of her leading something like X-Treme X-Men. A team comprised of mutants who largely serve outside of the typical X-Men team. Though I don't think they would revive that title tbh.
    Those are some important points with the continued leadership and the idea of non blog standard save the world for everyone super heroics. Every team she has been on since leaving for space a very long time ago now has been generic saving the world, saving the universe, etc.

She has been divorced from mutant issues and mutant politics which was her old bread and butter as a character. Not being apart of the Utopia era of mutant politics and saving mutants from Extinction hurt big time. The character basically missed out on some of the biggest mutant stories of the past decade and sat out one crisis and x-over after another for what was left of mutants when they needed her most for a half decade of Alex trying to be a space pirate and then after as well.

One can understand logically it isn't the characters fault for what writers and editors do, but the damage it did to the character compared to her image in the years before Decimation as a mainstream x-character who cared deeply about her kind has been rather deep given you had many line wide potential mutant extinction moments and Lorna just wasn't around (even when she was on Earth).

She has saved the world and even whole star systems the past 12 years, but she has been for far too long (not counting AU stories) divorced from the mutant rights issues and mutant politics which is where she really found her voice in 1993/1994 and 2000-2004.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-12-2018 at 11:11 AM.

BANNED

BANNED

What would be welcome would be a str8 up confrontation between her and Jean Grey...just to see how they spin off each other and where they leave it.

By... well the artist kind of made that clear. Kind of a different take on her last Genosha outfit, I am not sure I like it as much though its an interesting attempt.
    I like the black and green, but definitely prefer the Genosha green/black costume with it's detail and sharp edges. Good work though!

Nice that after years of the mutants being squeezed in the comics and everything else that change is allowing some to consider trying out the x-books and mutant world again and Lorna is a key part of that.

How does everyone feel about the past couple years in general for the state of things and the way forward for the line and of course Lorna?
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-13-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Nice that after years of the mutants being squeezed in the comics and everything else that the change is allowing some to consider trying out the x-books and mutant world again and Lorna is a key part of that.

How does everyone feel about the past couple years in general for the state of things and the way forward for the line and of course Lorna?
    I’m hoping that with The Gifted being more closely associated with Marvel Entertainment, Polaris can still be treated as an active player in the grand scheme of things in the X-Books.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I’m hoping that with The Gifted being more closely associated with Marvel Entertainment, Polaris can still be treated as an active player in the grand scheme of things in the X-Books.
    One sees signs of that may be starting to happen. Very few live action depictions lead to more comic fans reading their comic depictions. Lorna might be one of the very few exceptions there because The Gifted depiction is so good combined with an actress willing to direct her fans to read the comics.

The real question is how to make Lorna a more active player in the comics. There is the obvious way like Laura or Storm or any number of other x-characters on multiple titles.

But, I am actually not so much a fan of that way as I am Lorna doing her own thing in such a way that creates the conditions by which she has a title where she is doing her own thing and has her own agenda yes, but there is a much greater interconnection then we have seen so she can show up organically on the other titles and their writers would want her to appear as a philosophical counterpoint.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

One sees signs of that may be starting to happen. Very few live action depictions lead to more comic fans reading their comic depictions. Lorna might be one of the very few exceptions there because The Gifted depiction is so good combined with an actress willing to direct her fans to read the comics.
    I see on Instagram from time to time there are fans who like post fan art inspired by Polaris from The Gifted with Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch. I think it’s pretty neat that fans associate the two together despite the fact they’re from different productions. To me that shows the fan interest generated for Lorna thanks to the show.

The real question is how to make Lorna a more active player in the comics. There is the obvious way like Laura or Storm or any number of other x-characters on multiple titles.

But, I am actually not so much a fan of that way as I am Lorna doing her own thing in such a way that creates the conditions by which she has a title where she is doing her own thing and has her own agenda yes, but there is a much greater interconnection then we have seen so she can show up organically on the other titles and their writers would want her to appear as a philosophical counterpoint.
    I haven’t been following Marvel the past few years and I’m trying back into it, so there isn’t much for me to comment on in that regard. That being said, I wonder what Lorna’s view would be on Jean’s use of power to create peace in X-Men Red. That seems to be a little bit divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I see on Instagram from time to time there are fans who like post fan art inspired by Polaris from The Gifted with Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch. I think it’s pretty neat that fans associate the two together despite the fact they’re from different productions. To me that shows the fan interest generated for Lorna thanks to the show.
    The Magnus family synergy continued to grow yes inspite the retcon with Wanda and Lorna fans especially crisscrossing/overlapping significantly.

I haven’t been following Marvel the past few years and I’m trying back into it, so there isn’t much for me to comment on in that regard. That being said, I wonder what Lorna’s view would be on Jean’s use of power to create peace in X-Men Red. That seems to be a little bit divisive.
    There are issues with the return of Cassandra Nova on Red that I could see divide them as well as Jean’s idea of a state without a nation, but Unless Jean starts mass mind controlling nations and governments it’s kind of hard to see that come to a head.

Lorna and Jean do have different concepts and ideas like on coercion though I would agree, it’s inter-related to the difference between telepaths and electromagnetism manipulators and the basis of how they use their powers.

The question of what Lorna wants to accomplish going forward I think is key.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-13-2018 at 12:35 PM.

new Emma/polaris gifted

Those are some important points with the continued leadership and the idea of non blog standard save the world for everyone super heroics. Every team she has been on since leaving for space a very long time ago now has been generic saving the world, saving the universe, etc.

She has been divorced from mutant issues and mutant politics which was her old bread and butter as a character. Not being apart of the Utopia era of mutant politics and saving mutants from Extinction hurt big time. The character basically missed out on some of the biggest mutant stories of the past decade and sat out one crisis and x-over after another for what was left of mutants when they needed her most for a half decade of Alex trying to be a space pirate and then after as well.

One can understand logically it isn't the characters fault for what writers and editors do, but the damage it did to the character compared to her image in the years before Decimation as a mainstream x-character who cared deeply about her kind has been rather deep given you had many line wide potential mutant extinction moments and Lorna just wasn't around (even when she was on Earth).

She has saved the world and even whole star systems the past 12 years, but she has been for far too long (not counting AU stories) divorced from the mutant rights issues and mutant politics which is where she really found her voice in 1993/1994 and 2000-2004.
    I agree with you and Soulsword. Lorna founding her own ideologically unique team somewhat divorced from the main branch but with a predominant focus on mutant politics, for me, is about the only way forward for the character. At this point I think it's just a matter of time. Hopefully she doesn't get lost in any upcoming shuffle. Not that it matters a great deal but I knew her stint as "leader" in XMB was going to be lackluster/a dud mainly because that writer hasn't demonstrated an understanding of the fulcrum or core fundamentals of Lorna's character and he doesn't seem all that much interested in having her potentially supersede Magneto in terms of prominence imo.

Not to derail the thread but I just finished re-reading Morrison's run and I had the pleasure of reading Ambient Magnetic Fields again and I thought it was somewhat tragic that Morrison didn't spend more time working with and on Lorna's character as she seemed like the type of individual that he'd have a propensity towards writing exceptionally. What did you think of Morrison's depiction of Jean Grey--not to derail the thread?