Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hulk vs Thor

Spectacular Member

Thor with Mjolnir is more powerful by far -- its not even a contest. He can dimension dump the Hulk, probably energy siphon Hulk until he reverts, cast illusions that keep the Hulk busy then strike when the advantage is to be had.

Thor w/o Mjolnir is probably still more powerful than Hulk, with his storm generation and terrakinesis abilities.

In terms of power it is not a contest because Thor just has so many powers, all of which are used at really high level.

However, in terms of pure physical strength:

I think the classic model is that Thor starts out stronger than Hulk. But Hulk only escalates as a fight goes on, while Thor essentially stays the same. If it was purely hand to hand, Thor could win it in the first round with a quick KO. But if he doesn't, Hulk is gonna enrage enough that beating him mano-a-mano really isn't going to be an option. Mjolnir Thor can then respond by any of the options named above. Mjolnirless Thor is probably in more trouble.

Fantastic Member

I just want to see Hulk best Drax. Back in the Infinity Watch stories, Drax seemed to have the upper hand, but Moon Dragon stopped it when Hulk got pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadTitan View Post
    Thor with Mjolnir is more powerful by far -- its not even a contest. He can dimension dump the Hulk, probably energy siphon Hulk until he reverts, cast illusions that keep the Hulk busy then strike when the advantage is to be had.

Thor w/o Mjolnir is probably still more powerful than Hulk, with his storm generation and terrakinesis abilities.

In terms of power it is not a contest because Thor just has so many powers, all of which are used at really high level.

However, in terms of pure physical strength:

I think the classic model is that Thor starts out stronger than Hulk. But Hulk only escalates as a fight goes on, while Thor essentially stays the same. If it was purely hand to hand, Thor could win it in the first round with a quick KO. But if he doesn't, Hulk is gonna enrage enough that beating him mano-a-mano really isn't going to be an option. Mjolnir Thor can then respond by any of the options named above. Mjolnirless Thor is probably in more trouble.
    Pretty much but remember it also depends on the version of the Hulk we are talking about. Thor is surely stronger than Mr Fixit, who starts lower (70 tons) and takes longer to increase his strength and regeneration (although it's pretty impressive anyway). But that's not true for Maestro (who starts at 200 tons and is so powerful he can regenerate from gamma radiation itself given time) or more powerful versions of the Hulk like Gladiator Hulk (who probably starts even higher than Maestro) or worldbreaker hulk. The latter would be too powerful to deal with phisically by pratically anyone barring higher level cosmics since by just moving he crushes tectonic plates and can literally destroys worlds (as seen in Heart of the Monster). Thor still has the ability to teleport him away, requires going near, which is risky but it could work.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderingHammer View Post
    Further, Thor has actually defeated a full powered juggernaut.
    Yeah, that didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    [...] or worldbreaker hulk. The latter would be too powerful to deal with phisically by pratically anyone barring higher level cosmics since by just moving he crushes tectonic plates and can literally destroys worlds (as seen in Heart of the Monster). Thor still has the ability to teleport him away, requires going near, which is risky but it could work.
    Well, Sentry's punches reverted him back to human, so I would hardly consider "going near him" to be something out of Thor's league ^^

If The Indestructable Hulk is still cannon, then no matter who goes up against the Hulk they lose. Period. The Hulk's power can increase exponentially, to infinity. Everyone else has a cap to their strength. Eventually, no matter how strong the other guy is, Hulk ends up stronger. So... fighting him is pointless.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnotron View Post
    If The Indestructable Hulk is still cannon, then no matter who goes up against the Hulk they lose. Period. The Hulk's power can increase exponentially, to infinity. Everyone else has a cap to their strength. Eventually, no matter how strong the other guy is, Hulk ends up stronger. So... fighting him is pointless.
    Do you have a scan or an issue you can point me to where this is said?

Fighting Hulk is often not pointless if you can close it fast enough. Hyperion and i think Thor have both Knocked Hulk so hard he reverted to banner. It can be done if you act before a certain threshold.

We have a whole board for this kind of thing.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Well, Sentry's punches reverted him back to human, so I would hardly consider "going near him" to be something out of Thor's league ^^
    Yes he punched Gladiator hulk back to Banner... for about half a minute (and Sentry was koed for good) then he re-hulked in a form so powerful (the worlbreaker hulk) he could not control it, mere footsteps were crushing tectonic plates and it was said if he went on he could destroy the whole planet... That same version of Hulk destroyed planets in the last part of Pak run, "Heart of the Monster". Check it out for confirmation.

Yes he punched Gladiator hulk back to Banner... for about half a minute (and Sentry was koed for good) then he re-hulked in a form so powerful (the worlbreaker hulk) he could not control it, mere footsteps were crushing tectonic plates and it was said if he went on he could destroy the whole planet... That same version of Hulk destroyed planets in the last part of Pak run, "Heart of the Monster". Check it out for confirmation.
    My point was that you presented even "going near him" as something that would be incredibly dangerous for Thor, which is quite the exaggeration.

Fighting Hulk is often not pointless if you can close it fast enough. Hyperion and i think Thor have both Knocked Hulk so hard he reverted to banner. It can be done if you act before a certain threshold.
    No. But you can check out Indestructable Hulk #1. His strength having absolutely no limit is directly calculated by the main foe... just before Hulk rips him a new one.

Edit: Nevermind. Found a scan. :-)

2729914-indestructible01e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    My point was that you presented even "going near him" as something that would be incredibly dangerous for Thor, which is quite the exaggeration.
    It would be dangerous for anyone short of higher cosmic beings: world breaker hulk (and NOT Gladiator Hulk, who's weaker than worlbreaker and gladiator is what Sentry fights) does what the name says... destroys worlds. That's why going near would be dangerous even for Thor, the amount of energy unleashed would be tremensous. Consider that world breaker allowed himself to be defeated because he knew what would happen if he wasn't, what if WBH wants to fight instead?

Thor can destroy worlds as well. Stop trying to put down Thor.

Spectacular Member

It would be dangerous for anyone short of higher cosmic beings: world breaker hulk (and NOT Gladiator Hulk, who's weaker than worlbreaker and gladiator is what Sentry fights) does what the name says... destroys worlds. That's why going near would be dangerous even for Thor, the amount of energy unleashed would be tremensous. Consider that world breaker allowed himself to be defeated because he knew what would happen if he wasn't, what if WBH wants to fight instead?
    I am fully in the camp of "Thor fans need to give the Hulk some respect," but Thor has survived getting thrown through a planet. By Galactus. Who, I think we can all agree, outpowers the Hulk.

And honestly, we've seen that version of the Hulk once, maybe twice? It's just not enough to really make a call on. At least Warriors Madness Thor (which, again, I think was a terrible story that served mostly to make people gasp at Goldilocks) had a whole storyline dedicated to crushing everybody who got in his path.

BANNED

While not specifically stated as such I recall that in the issue Thor #385 “Be Thou God or Monster!" Thor gave it his best shot and indeed had to admit fighting Hulk was pointless as Hulk simply kept getting up stronger than when he fell down.

Fair enough but... Hulk has also K.Oed Thor as well at one point in time. So it's still up to the writer as to who gets the definitive win.