Page 52 of 827 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'm not a huge DC fan, but Flash is one of my favorites from that side of the comics world.

I'm enjoying the show thus far (still room for it to get better or worse), but something with Gustin just seems...off. Maybe it's his weak chin that I can't get over, but just something about the way he forms words with his mouth sometimes...ick? LOL

Grant Gustin acting leaves much to be desired at this point, and the amount of exposition wore me out this episode. I feel like the show is reminding me of Smallville in not so good ways. That said I'm glad they're past the hurdle of Joe being against Barry's superheroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    With Ollie and Laurel (Dinah) in ARROW and now Barry and Iris in THE FLASH, they seem to have started out with this plan to create a super-couple, but they botched it in the execution. Of course, this is not the first Flash TV series, where Iris and Barry haven't worked out. In the Shipp series there was an Iris (Paula Marshall) but she fell by the wayside and the Tina McGee character (Amanda Pays) became the ostensible love interest.

As with the Ollie, Laurel, Tommy triangle--they want to create this Barry, Iris, Ed triangle. Yet Tommy turned out to be a good guy--even in death he has better chemistry with Laurel than Ollie. In fact, Ed Thawne really seems like a good guy. He looks a lot like classic Barry (with the short blonde hair). I suppose he'll die, thus throwing Iris into Barry's arms for comfort.

But all these flashbacks to when Barry and Iris were kids, and living just down the hall from each other, makes it too creepy. Frankly, Barry is a bit stalkerish, lurking about when iris and Ed are in a clinch.

I think this proves that you can't just throw two actors together and expect there will be sparks. Sometimes, an actor like Emily Bett Rickards comes along and makes meat out of a small part like Felicity Smoak, and you have to throw out the old plan and create a new one.
    Are you bothered by the sibling factor or because you don't think the actors playing Iris and Barry have chemistry? Because it's not clear what you mean. If the actors have chemistry, the sibling stuff is less of a deal. If they have no chemistry, everything else is irrelevant.

I would have thought after all these years Iris would have suspected pretty easily that Barry has feelings for her. In the first episode there is a scene where Iris says it's okay for Barry to confine in her about his girl problems. At that moment it felt a little lame that they were going with the angle of Iris being the dumb girl that is completely oblivious to something quite obvious. The two of them having lived together for 10 or 15 years makes the issue worse.

BANNED

Just watched the first two episodes on CWTV.com. I liked it. Much better than Gotham, almost as good as Smallville. I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The Flash in the newspaper article that Harrison Wells was looking at wore a costume similar to the New 52 suit. I wonder if we can expect TV Barry to eventually wear a suit closer in appearance to the one in the comics.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Showrunners have said that this is just a proto costume and it'll get more vibrant and colourful later on

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I'm not a huge DC fan, but Flash is one of my favorites from that side of the comics world.

I'm enjoying the show thus far (still room for it to get better or worse), but something with Gustin just seems...off. Maybe it's his weak chin that I can't get over, but just something about the way he forms words with his mouth sometimes...ick? LOL
    Gustin is from Virginia and it seems as if he is trying to hide/conceal his southern accent and his voice has a nassal timber at times. Admittedly he isn't the worlds greatest actor. But I can see that he's really, really trying to do his best in the role. So I am willing to cut him slack for that. I am just happy that I am enjoying the stories and I find the cast engaging.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Overall I like episode 2 but some of the show flaws could become very grating.

The science girl in Star labs is utterly utterly annoying and horrible: I can't remember her name because I just automatically call her Fitzsimmons (based off the two awful Agents of Shield characters).
    I have a question. For those of you who don't like Caitlin was it due to her over all manner, or the fact that for most of episode 2 she was essentially a scold?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoniac View Post
    Showrunners have said that this is just a proto costume and it'll get more vibrant and colourful later on

Is it true that they plan on having an arrow crossover episode?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

Is it true that they plan on having an arrow crossover episode?
    Yeah Episode 8 of both.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Are you bothered by the sibling factor or because you don't think the actors playing Iris and Barry have chemistry? Because it's not clear what you mean. If the actors have chemistry, the sibling stuff is less of a deal. If they have no chemistry, everything else is irrelevant.
    One influences the other. The script demands that they be like brother and sister and that's what the actors are playing. They are believable as quasi-brother and sister, so they have some chemisty on that level. Of course, some actors can communicate sexual tension even if the characters are not in a romance. It could be the fault of the script or the direction, as much as the actors, that they only come across as siblings not lovers.

Given the circumstances, it would be uncomfortable if these almost siblings did have romantic chemistry. I believe that Barry has some creepy feeling for his sister--but he would be an even worse creep to act on those feelings--and I would be shocked if his sister returned the emotion. I think she would thump him.

That being said, on ARROW, Stephen Arnell seems to always undress every woman on screen with his eyes (and sometimes more than his eyes)--including his mother and his sister. Ollie will hit anything that moves--except Felicity Smoak. But Felicity had some chemistry with Barry; however, that might be because the actress who plays her is the better actor.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have a question. For those of you who don't like Caitlin was it due to her over all manner, or the fact that for most of episode 2 she was essentially a scold?
    Once Amanda Pays shows up as Tina McGee, we'll get a chance to contrast Caitlin's ersatz Tina McGee with the real deal.

Once Amanda Pays shows up as Tina McGee, we'll get a chance to contrast Caitlin's ersatz Tina McGee with the real deal.
    But, that's not really answering Mias' question. They're asking what was it people dislike about Caitlin. Not to compare her with another character in a similar role.

Quite interesting they are brining in Mist (called Kyle Nimbus) in the next episode. He is know for his connection with Starman and not Flash. Wonder if that will transcend to the comics.

One influences the other. The script demands that they be like brother and sister and that's what the actors are playing. They are believable as quasi-brother and sister, so they have some chemisty on that level. Of course, some actors can communicate sexual tension even if the characters are not in a romance. It could be the fault of the script or the direction, as much as the actors, that they only come across as siblings not lovers.

Given the circumstances, it would be uncomfortable if these almost siblings did have romantic chemistry. I believe that Barry has some creepy feeling for his sister--but he would be an even worse creep to act on those feelings--and I would be shocked if his sister returned the emotion. I think she would thump him.

That being said, on ARROW, Stephen Arnell seems to always undress every woman on screen with his eyes (and sometimes more than his eyes)--including his mother and his sister. Ollie will hit anything that moves--except Felicity Smoak. But Felicity had some chemistry with Barry; however, that might be because the actress who plays her is the better actor.
    They aren't siblings. They were friends before they were house mates (which is all they ever were) there is nothing creepy about it and there is nothing wrong with barry making a move. Granted he shouldn't right now seeing as how she has a boyfriend. But then again she doesn't belong anyone so it's not like he is poaching someones property.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    But, that's not really answering Mias' question. They're asking what was it people dislike about Caitlin. Not to compare her with another character in a similar role.
    I wasn't really trying to answer the question--just kidding around. But when I try to think about it, I can't come up with a good answer. There's something off about her, but I can't put my finger on it. I don't feel like she's really in the scene with the other actors.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    They aren't siblings. They were friends before they were house mates (which is all they ever were) there is nothing creepy about it and there is nothing wrong with barry making a move. Granted he shouldn't right now seeing as how she has a boyfriend. But then again she doesn't belong anyone so it's not like he is poaching someones property.
    To me they are like siblings. I don't remember anything about them being friends before Barry's mother was murdered. But they are supposed to be little kids living in the same house with one man acting as their father. To me that's a brother and sister relationship. It's not like they are flat mates. The fact that they were both around 12 (I'm guessing) when they ended up as a family is the important detail. And they grew up together, went through puberty together, in a brother and sister situation.

If Greg Brady had shown a sexual interest in Marcia Brady, I would have felt the same way. Even though they were both in high school by the time they came to live in the same house together and they were not related by blood. I'm sure Greg had a lot of sleepless nights thinking about his step-sister. She was hot. But I'm sure Greg and Marcia never did anything about it--although they probably wound up in years of therapy. Barry Williams and Maureen McCormick is a different story.