Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Bleeding Cool Says DC Will Try To Remove Marriages After Next Crisis Event

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...man-marriages/

I find a hard time imagining this after all we have been through the past few years, but who knows..

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

There's no way they're that stupid. Marvel has taken nothing but flack when they tried to get rid of their marriages. There's no way DC can think that this would be any better received. Especially not since they've built up so much goodwill with the fans for bringing BACK so many classic elements through Rebirth.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Enough with the crisis events already.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

DC has just started to allow their major heroes to get married again, so I hope this isn't true.
    Last edited by KC; 05-11-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I have to agree with these marriages being undone. Batman (main continuity, present Batman) should never marry especially, but Superman is in the same boat.

Spidey's marriage is maybe the only one I support and I still have complicated conflicting thoughts even about that.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I have to agree with these marriages being undone. Batman (main continuity, present Batman) should never marry especially.

Spidey's marriage is maybe the only one I support and I still have complicated conflicting thoughts about that.
    I know you think that on one hand I can sort of see the problem with marrying any of these characters off notwhen they live and breathe in the same worlds and as a result the lines that were established many years ago have blurred since then. On the other hand the return of legacy and what not has been helpful more so than what Marvel's been up to not sure to what they are up if they do it but the only thing I can say good luck to the comic book as guys like myself who want to break in with their own work aim to take over.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

If they reboot again so soon, I'll probably stop reading their modern stuff & stick to already-published material. It's not so much that I care about marriages (if the story is good I can be for them, but I can also see value in not having them if the story is better that way), but I'm just not interested in another starting over point. Even as someone who's been reading since the 80's, I was very interested in what the New 52 announcement meant because I figured it might be time to clean the slate. But very quickly, I discovered that I really didn't want that.

I have no interest in another reboot, whether is hard or soft. Batman hasn't even said his vows yet, and there's already a rumor that it's going to be reset very soon? Then why should I buy those comics at this point? Hopefully this new Crisis/reboot nonsense is a false rumor, they haven't even finished the Rebirth 10 years storyline yet. Is Doomsday Clock going to end with Manhattan's reveal, spinning into another Crisis event or something? It doesn't sound right. (Although, with the way Doomsday Clock is going, it'll be years before we get the ending lol)

The only reboot I'd read would be a Day 1 reset for the entire DCU. And obviously they won't do that because of all the characters they'd lose, so if they reboot in any other way again I'm out.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

First of all, consider the source. Second of all, last time DC did that during New 52 they got a lot of flack for it. They bent over backwards to bring back the Super-marriage. No way they're going to turn around and undo everything they went to so much trouble to get back. Third of all, ANOTHER Crisis? Really? Are they really gonna pull that again this soon? They're just now bringing back stuff like the JSA and the Legion. No one wants that. Plus, aren't the Super-books doing pretty good right now sales wise? So it's not like there's a financial reason to do this either.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The only reason I can think of for why they might do this is if someone at Warners came down from on high and said they had to do it to make the books more in line with the movies. But given the direction the movies are going in, it makes more sense to make the movies line up with the books. I assumed Warner intervention was the whole reason for New 52.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Yeah...if this is true, I'm completely done with new material. I mean...we aren't even starting Bendis' Superman run yet and they are already eyeing another Reboot so soon after undoing the last one? Makes no logical sense. I hope that this is just a rumor or a joke. If not...wow.

If "reboot! reboot !reboot!" is the only thing Dan DiDio and Jim Lee have in their creative arsenal...then they need to be fired. Enough is enough. I usually don't like calling for someone's job because i disagree with a creative decision, but if this is true then that's the only recourse.

The only caviat to all of this is if they do as Clark Kent suggested above me....a complete from square one reboot of ALL their properties. A true fresh start. No exceptions. Then i could possibly get on board. Otherwise...no. Just no.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    First of all, consider the source. Second of all, last time DC did that during New 52 they got a lot of flack for it. They bent over backwards to bring back the Super-marriage. No way they're going to turn around and undo everything they went to so much trouble to get back. Third of all, ANOTHER Crisis? Really? Are they really gonna pull that again this soon? They're just now bringing back stuff like the JSA and the Legion. No one wants that. Plus, aren't the Super-books doing pretty good right now sales wise? So it's not like there's a financial reason to do this either.
    In some capacity, Bleeding Cool is more right then they're wrong. Though... I don't think It'll be a full reboot. Maybe just fixing the timeline?

Aaaaahhhh . . . who cares at this point?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

These are but rumors at this point.

And if it happens then i will most probably say goodbye. Maybe if its a true fresh start as manofsteel and Clark Kent say i 'may' try. But i think most likely i will be done with new comics.

Perhaps, reboots are good. Synergy may be a good idea. Maybe new fans will be attracted. All well and good. But my investment in these stories will be over. Rebirth started about two years ago. The dust has not settled yet and here's a reboot. Only if some run is like a masterpiece. Something excellent i will try. Normally, i settle for good or very good when it comes to my favorite characters. But there's no point in staying invested, if the stories where you were invested in won't count after a few years.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I should add that my previous post isn't exactly to be read as me supporting a hard or hard-ish reboot either. I hate reboots mostly and only the softest ones I can maybe defend and agree with.

If a hypothetical reboot were to change little to nothing except the marriages/kids, I could probably agree with that, simply based on my longstanding thinking that most long unmarried heroes shouldn't be married (and/or childless).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-11-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Everything in the rumor mill (and announcements like the price hikes) makes it sound like the DiDio/Lee group is ready to throw away all the goodwill of Rebirth and get back to their kewl modern New 52-ish state of things.

If we go back to pretending Superboy is Superman, I'm done.