Page 142 of 283 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 4237

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I wonder how many of the MCU movies and projects increased readership.
    Far as I can tell the larger media stuff doesn't have much of an impact on comic sales. Obviously I don't have the whole picture or the behind-the-scenes data the company does but looking at what we *can* see, it seems like readership size isn't impacted....though I'm not sure if the larger media efforts shift things within the established readership. Does Iron Man sell better now than in 2007 because of the movies, or because Marvel has put better creators on the title and given Tony a bigger role in a lot of major Events? Know what I mean?

When a movie or show hits, the floppies might see a short, small spike in sales. If a comic gets a new #1 and is clearly influenced by the film that increase might be a bit bigger, but still doesn't amount to a whole lot.

Trades see a slightly larger bump for a slightly longer time, and if a lot of older reprints are dropped on the trade shelf that helps, but it's still nothing that really makes a big splash as far as sale increases go.

There are a few exceptions; the GotG and Ant-Man are better able to hold down comics now because of the films, but those comics still struggle to stay above cancellation range and can't usually sustain long runs. So film synergy largely seems to be more trouble than its worth. A little icing on the cake, which is nice, but nothing more.

All that said, Marvel probably should have reprinted some of Wanda and Vision's older material for trade (that must be very cheap and easy to do, I'm guessing), especially the stuff that had a direct influence on the show. If my reading of the sales data is correct Marvel didn't lose out on a lot of money, at least in the short term, but they did let an opportunity pass to throw a little extra into their revenue stream. And I'd guess that the tie-in material; trades, merch, etc., increase the odds of converting a casual MCU fan into a comics newbie, so that's a small loss of potential revenue down the road. If nothing else, the lack of tie-ins meant that established comic fans can't spend more money on the trades (I never read King's Vision back in the day, and can't buy the trade now if I wanted to, so that's $20 less in Marvel's pocket).

Doesn't seem to be a "mistake" so much as a small opportunity the company passed on, but it's still easy money the company let slip through their fingers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Far as I can tell the larger media stuff doesn't have much of an impact on comic sales. Obviously I don't have the whole picture or the behind-the-scenes data the company does but looking at what we *can* see, it seems like readership size isn't impacted....though I'm not sure if the larger media efforts shift things within the established readership. Does Iron Man sell better now than in 2007 because of the movies, or because Marvel has put better creators on the title and given Tony a bigger role in a lot of major Events? Know what I mean?

When a movie or show hits, the floppies might see a short, small spike in sales. If a comic gets a new #1 and is clearly influenced by the film that increase might be a bit bigger, but still doesn't amount to a whole lot.

Trades see a slightly larger bump for a slightly longer time, and if a lot of older reprints are dropped on the trade shelf that helps, but it's still nothing that really makes a big splash as far as sale increases go.

There are a few exceptions; the GotG and Ant-Man are better able to hold down comics now because of the films, but those comics still struggle to stay above cancellation range and can't usually sustain long runs. So film synergy largely seems to be more trouble than its worth. A little icing on the cake, which is nice, but nothing more.

All that said, Marvel probably should have reprinted some of Wanda and Vision's older material for trade (that must be very cheap and easy to do, I'm guessing), especially the stuff that had a direct influence on the show. If my reading of the sales data is correct Marvel didn't lose out on a lot of money, at least in the short term, but they did let an opportunity pass to throw a little extra into their revenue stream. And I'd guess that the tie-in material; trades, merch, etc., increase the odds of converting a casual MCU fan into a comics newbie, so that's a small loss of potential revenue down the road. If nothing else, the lack of tie-ins meant that established comic fans can't spend more money on the trades (I never read King's Vision back in the day, and can't buy the trade now if I wanted to, so that's $20 less in Marvel's pocket).

Doesn't seem to be a "mistake" so much as a small opportunity the company passed on, but it's still easy money the company let slip through their fingers.
    They reprinted the older stuff. The Vision sadly wasn't something they re-released.

Mostly stuff like Giant Size Avengers and Vision and the Scarlet Witch.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They reprinted the older stuff. The Vision sadly wasn't something they re-released.

I'm glad they actually did that for Vision and the Scarlet Witch considering the locals and mainstream media only seem to mention HOM and The Vision as the inspirations for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I wonder how many of the MCU movies and projects increased readership.

See, I don't think it does, greatly and that would be a conscious decision on their part too. Sure they know who is their regular reading audience, but to calculate how many others who are not regular readers will dig in

is a gamble for them. Printing costs, etc.

So I believe their speculation included how they saw this project going forward during the time they would have had for increased comics.

They took a gamble, not realizing, perhaps, how popular WV would be.
    By and large, I don't believe what's currently being published on the comic side resonates with a lot of people. In which case, It'd be wise to take inspiration from the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm glad they actually did that for Vision and the Scarlet Witch considering the locals and mainstream media only seem to mention HOM and The Vision as the inspirations for the show.
    Yeah I'm too. But wondering why The Vision wasn't one that was reprinted. Especially since it seems to not be attainable in LCS.

I've been getting a lot of for Marvel Unlimited ads promoting it as a platform where you can read the comics that inspired Wanda/Vision.

It can be found on digital easily. Physical issues seem to be the problem for some in some areas.

Oh did they? Totally slipped by me then. Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if I can track some of it down.

Okay, if Marvel did reprint the older material then, other than something like King's Vision, which is "older" but still modern, I'd say Marvel did what they should've done as far as synergy goes.

Not saying a new monthly wouldn't have been nice, but the sales data tells us it wouldn't have been terribly successful simply because the show is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well I've read that B & N and Amazon have sold out the Vision at their stores and that a new printing is coming. I know comic book sales might not be connected to the shows/movies, but I still think that's bad business all around. Particularly with a series like WandaVision. Because the show is full of mystery and intrigue, I think reading some of King's, Robinson's, Byrne's, Bendis's, Englehart's, Mantlo's and Thomas's works might actually be necessary, as opposed to other Disney+ Marvel projects. WandaVision is literally a series about a lady "whose witch powers were activated by a primordial space rock and has babies with a robot man whose dead inside a pocket dimension". And that three year old robot was created by another robot who wanted to blow up the planet Earth, and Vision STILL somehow managed to obtain American citizenship (probably with the help of Stark's lawyers). Not your typical superhero fare.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-02-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    WandaVision is literally a series about a lady "whose witch powers were activated by a primordial space rock and has babies with a robot man whose dead inside a pocket dimension".
    Not exactly as we've come to find that Vision and the babies are just magical creations. And Wanda never had Vision's body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh did they? Totally slipped by me then. Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if I can track some of it down.

Okay, if Marvel did reprint the older material then, other than something like King's Vision, which is "older" but still modern, I'd say Marvel did what they should've done as far as synergy goes.

Not saying a new monthly wouldn't have been nice, but the sales data tells us it wouldn't have been terribly successful simply because the show is.
    The newest re-release can be bought here https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Scarle...4719356&sr=8-1 It has great cover art by Alex Ross too.

But definitely Wanda, Vision, Quicksilver and the rest need to find their ways back into ongoings.

Not exactly as we've come to find that Vision and the babies are just magical creations. And Wanda never had Vision's body.
    I understand that. I was just joking around about how absolutely weird and bizarre this series. All previous MCU offerings have been pretty grounded and realistic in my opinion. WandaVision is really "out there". Not only is it a mystery and drama, it has elements of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books and Hallmark movies in it. Like that line about perseverance has caused SO much controversy in recent days. At first I thought it was pretty corny and cheesy, and in a past life (a few weeks ago), I would have laughed it off as being way too saccharine and mawkish. But then I read this comment online:

"I really can't stand conceited, elitist pricks. My brother's dying in the hospital currently and that line surprised me, resonated with me, and even gave me a small amount of comfort. Then I hear apparently you're not meant to get anything meaningful out of Marvel stuff because reasons. I'd happily tell anyone who thinks that to go **** themselves right to their smug, wrong faces. Pricks. It's the easiest thing in the world to just not be an *******."

So yeah, I like the fact that last episode of WandaVision focused on things like bereavement and processing emotional pain. It just never happens in action adventure superhero stuff. I thought it was really risky for the showrunners to do a flashback episode in the penultimate episode of WandaVision (when audiences were dying for things to be set up for the finale next week). I used to complain about the plot not being moved forward in many episodes of this show. However, now I'm happy that this series has maintained its focus on exploring grief and mental illness in the MCU right up to the end.

I'm starting to wonder how this series connects to Dr Strange MoM, so far the only multiverse thing it's just a theory made up by fans about Fietro being the one from FOX which i doubt because then it would be Agatha who started this since she was the one who brought him but again Fietro could still being just a Westview citizen... Which would be a big yikes (why bring Evan Peters then?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    I'm starting to wonder how this series connects to Dr Strange MoM, so far the only multiverse thing it's just a theory made up by fans about Fietro being the one from FOX which i doubt because then it would be Agatha who started this since she was the one who brought him but again Fietro could still being just a Westview citizen... Which would be a big yikes (why bring Evan Peters then?)
    I could see 3 things one Fietro is Fox Pietro and after the tear in the multiverse is made Strange seeks out Wanda due too her experience with denizens from other dimensions. 2 on Friday they do something spectacular with this nexus being status and she tears a hole into the multiverse as the hex comes undone & Dr Strange shows up. 3 Wanda is a nexus being who gave birth to Billy who's the Demiurge who created America Chavez's dimension who was casted in Dr Strange so Starnge seeks those 1 out to seal up the multiverse my top 3 theories at the moment these are all guesses.
    Last edited by Journey; 03-02-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    It might not be the multiverse that connects them but just magic itself. We'll likely know in a couple days.