Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default With Shang-Chi's almost certain success, will DC promote its Asian heroes more?

I mean Black Panther and Miles Morales seem to be ushering-in more diversity with comic book properties in general.

Yara seems to indicate DC is promoting Native Latin people more, so this seems like a logical next step, especially since there are so many well-known Asian artists in the industry. . .

BANNED

Shang-Chi is still set for a release later this year. As of now, it's been pushed to July.

Let's hope that they do, but there are a lot of other Asian characters I'd want to see get the spotlight ahead of yet another earth Green Lantern. Katana, Dr Light, Claw, Atom, Grace Choi, Karate Kid (if he gets a new look) even Clownhunter, especially if he ends up being Red X, etc...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Let's hope that they do, but there are a lot of other Asian characters I'd want to see get the spotlight ahead of yet another earth Green Lantern. Katana, Dr Light, Claw, Atom, Grace Choi, Karate Kid (if he gets a new look) even Clownhunter, especially if he ends up being Red X, etc...
    Given his age, I think Tai Pham can be looped in with the Future State crowd--just two separate generations.

Extraordinary Member

Which solo hero could it be though?

Most in DC are mostly team members.

If it doesn't end up being a raceswapped character, then Ryan Choi seems like a good option to me. Atom is a relatively well-known mantle and Ryan has been used outside of comics before. He's also not that that dependent on Ray, or they can do with Ray what the MCU did with Hank Pym instead. Naturally people would make the Ant-Man comparisons, but it can do good numbers if it's done right.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"Almost certain success"

They said the same about Mulan.

Although now that Wally West is back, we can see Linda Park again.
    "Cable was right!"

Cassandra Cain is basically Batgirl again.

Oh yeah - is Super-Man (Kong) still around? (not that he'd be a good way to capitalize on the popularity of Shang-chi since they're so different (and also, I think it's a crapshoot whether the movie would even help Shang-chi himself in the comics, let alone a DC character...))
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-11-2021 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "Almost certain success"

They said the same about Mulan.

Although now that Wally West is back, we can see Linda Park again.
    Mulan wasn't MCU, and there was news before it came out about how far it deviated from the original property.

Incredible Member

Outside of Ryan Choi, I'd love to see more of the Great Ten (China's main superhero-team).

I hope Shang-Chi (the movie) promotes a mini revival in the Kung Fu craze so we can get a martial arts focused DC book, since that whole sphere is pretty diverse in the first place. Williamson is already doing something with his Robin book - I'm keeping an eye out and seeing what he does.

I mean, Black Panther and Spiderverse were undeniably successful and DC has yet to find a real answer to either Miles or T'Challa; so they could just as well fumble the ball here. now, granted, that was the old regime, so hopefully the new camp fares better with pushing heroes of color.

I definitely think Cassandra Cain, New Super-man, and Katana are the ideal choices to promote in the wake of Shang-Chi, given they all have distinctive and compelling cultural elements to explore. however, given what Williamson is doing with Damian over in Robin and the asian race bending of Richard Dragon in Soul of the Dragon, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Kyle Rayner and just start playing up one of them as their flagship asian character.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Shiva seems the best option to me. I know she's been mostly on the dark side since the 90s, but if they can make a Harley Quinn film, they can make a Shiva film.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cassandra Cain is basically Batgirl again.
    DC screwed up with her once already.