Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Opinion, Do you perfer to read or watch about High School Peter or Adult Peter?

What is your opinion, its funny how every adaptation of Spidey, almost all of it always goes back to high school with some exceptions like the PS4 game that has him a full adult with bills. I admit, I very biased on reading about adult Peter and his supporting cast due to well I'm sick of high school tropes. I got into Spidey in my childhood and was exposed to the 94 animated series that focus on Peter college life and I was reading the comics that had a married Peter and I was and still am a fan of the marriage and MJ, I was crushing on MJ and second Felicia back when I was that era. I admit, I was in my sophomore year and well Ultimate Spider-man 1 by Bendis Bagley came and well regretfully didn't pick it up and it wasn't until years later I did. my reason. well I wanted to read about adult Peter with adult problems because high school for me sucked and I dont want to be reminded of that especially reading about Peter who's high school life suck alot more than mine did, so I just kept reading JMS Amazing. There's also some adult Peter life that was too damn depressing to read like BND which Big time was a nice change. I also liked the supporting cast in adult Peter life more, especially the development of Flash. I'm bias to read about the Flash who military experience and how Spidey action shape him made him a better person who actually grew to respect and befriended Peter and with a backstory that explains why he was such a jerk in the early days. Well this is the thread for those here who wants to give there two cents here. What you perfer, reading about Peter in high school or you rather read watch about Peter in his adult life? I figure it would be a interesting conversation starter.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Spider-Man is Spider-Man. As long as he upholds the credo that "with great power, there must also come great responsibility," that's Spider-Man to me. That said, I nowadays would prefer him as an adult, or at least out of high school and in college/postgrad studies like in the 1970s-1980s (and 1990s animated series), if only because Marvel constantly going back to the high school well has somewhat soured me on Peter Parker in high school. Furthermore, to me, it represents in terms of Marvel's view of the character that it won't really let him grow and evolve and instead force him to remain stagnant, which is something I'd rather not countenance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It depends on the execution.

I'm fine with high school Spidey if it's on par with, say, Ultimate and Spec and makes good use of the setting and doesn't infantilize or reduce Peter and his accomplishments like other teenage interpretations of Spidey, but I'd rather he not stay perpetually in high school.

Adult Peter.

I rather see Miles go through High School than Peter. It's less of a diminishing returns and could break new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It depends on the execution.

I'm fine with high school Spidey if it's on par with, say, Ultimate and Spec and makes good use of the setting and doesn't infantilize or reduce Peter and his accomplishments like other teenage interpretations of Spidey, but I'd rather he not stay perpetually in high school.
    Please tell me you're not talking about Ultimate cartoon .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Spider-Man is Spider-Man. As long as he upholds the credo that "with great power, there must also come great responsibility," that's Spider-Man to me. That said, I nowadays would prefer him as an adult, or at least out of high school and in college/postgrad studies like in the 1970s-1980s (and 1990s animated series), if only because Marvel constantly going back to the high school well has somewhat soured me on Peter Parker in high school. Furthermore, to me, it represents in terms of Marvel's view of the character that it won't really let him grow and evolve and instead force him to remain stagnant, which is something I'd rather not countenance.
    This. 100%
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This. 100%
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He's more likely referring to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, which were the best of the Ultimate line if only because they didn't make everyone in that corner an unlikeable (borderline) psychopath, even if it (may have) played a role in pushing the notion that Spider-Man "works best" in a high school setting.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

He's more likely referring to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, which were the best of the Ultimate line if only because they didn't make everyone in that corner an unlikeable (borderline) psychopath, even if it (may have) played a role in pushing the notion that Spider-Man "works best" in a high school setting.
    If I mean "Ultimate" in a good sense, I'm talking about the comic .

I know we wouldn't have gotten Miles otherwise but I would've liked to have seen Ultimate Peter in college.

He's more likely referring to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics,
    I figured that was the case, still worth to joke about .

which were the best of the Ultimate line if only because they didn't make everyone in that corner an unlikeable (borderline) psychopath, even if it (may have) played a role in pushing the notion that Spider-Man "works best" in a high school setting.
    The one character I remember being flanderized into basically a psychopath in Ultimate Spidey was Flash, as he was just pre-ASM#5 Flash (Meaning, Flash without the Spidey fanboyism) with the bullying amplified, so he's just a jerk and nothing else.

I think there's even an issue where Ultimate Peter says that Flash is evil and will always be evil, he's just that much of a jerk.

So yeah, Ultimate has a habit of flanderizing traits from their 616 counterparts, and generally it's just the jerkassery.

On a funnier note, Ultimate MJ is also a character flanderized compared to 616 MJ, but different from the rest, 'cause in 616, MJ only ever loved Peter, but still dated other men, meanwhile, Ultimate MJ is practically Peter-sexual, since whenever she tries to date someone else, it doesn't work because she can't get over Peter, I hear that the original plan for Spider-Men would have her having a crush on 616 Peter (Would've happened when Ultimate Peter was alive), and when she does get a not-Peter boyfriend, it's only after he dies, and even then she goes back to 616 Peter as soon as she hears he's alive, and the boyfriend is forgotten about.

If I mean "Ultimate" in a good sense, I'm talking about the comic .

I know we wouldn't have gotten Miles otherwise but I would've liked to have seen Ultimate Peter in college.
    He could always have gotten into college before, or after Ultimatum lol.

All of those events from Ultimate Spider-Man#1 until his death happening within one year was just silly, and that setting was pretending to be more realistic than 616 lol.

I prefer adult Spider-man.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I like both, but high school Peter clearly has a better batting average, with the Lee/ Ditko run, Untold Tales of Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Im starting to care more for the Spiderman aspect of the character. so teen or adult don't really mind considering the Peter Parker side hasn't been interesting as of late
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The one character I remember being flanderized into basically a psychopath in Ultimate Spidey was Flash, as he was just pre-ASM#5 Flash (Meaning, Flash without the Spidey fanboyism) with the bullying amplified, so he's just a jerk and nothing else.

I think there's even an issue where Ultimate Peter says that Flash is evil and will always be evil, he's just that much of a jerk.

So yeah, Ultimate has a habit of flanderizing traits from their 616 counterparts, and generally it's just the jerkassery.
    I feel like Flash got split between him and Kong.
    All of those events from Ultimate Spider-Man#1 until his death happening within one year was just silly, and that setting was pretending to be more realistic than 616 lol.
    Yeah, even by Bendis pacing standards, that was a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I like both, but high school Peter clearly has a better batting average, with the Lee/ Ditko run, Untold Tales of Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Well, comparatively adult Spider-Man has a bunch of major stories, movies, and games.

I feel like Flash got split between him and Kong.
    Even if that's the case, it still stucks the character only got the worst traits and nothing else, he could at least stop being a jerk even if he's not a Spidey fanboy after a while, or hell, if he's going to be remain a jerk, at least develop more.

Yeah, even by Bendis pacing standards, that was a bit much.
    Is it now? Is it really? We're talking about Bendis man .

Well, comparatively adult Spider-Man has a bunch of major stories, movies, and games.
    Yeah, and a lot of the more "iconic" stuff about high school Spidey came from adult Spidey, Spectacular cartoon, even with it quite blatantly basing stuff around Ditko's run, still picks a lot from adult Spidey development, hell, the first time he defeats Venom (Who's also from adult Spidey) even gets the basic idea from ASM#317 with the "Have the symbiote try to go back to Peter", though it changes how it was done (In the comic, trying to detach itself from Eddie to Peter was painful, which, contradicts later symbiote stuff, Spectacular adapted that by just trying to bond with Peter, failing, and then trying to go back to Eddie).

While Adult Spidey may not have as many iconic comic runs, it still has undeniably major stuff that always gets adapted one way or another, hell, the whole Iron Boy bullshit from MCU is regretfully a partial adaptation of that weird time JMS made Peter into Stark's protégé (Partial because there's a lot of Miles going on there too).

Adult Peter. It's not like I don't like High School Peter, but I'm an adult and I can't relate anymore to some kid. That's why, at first, I was dissapointed that Garfield was out of Spider-Man role for MCU's Civil War.
    And High School Peter was done to death, it's boring after a while. Not to mention he's going to get another show where he's a kid... Adult Peter is better suited for me.