Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Trash. Marvel uses its classic characters as either punching bags, punch lines, or whoopie cushions these days. With love: eff you, Marvel.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Mephisto turned Peter into a player! hahahaha
    And cursed him into be a real BAD player. Before Rebecca, I can't remember the last time a girl got instantly smitten by him (or Spider-man, whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Trash. Marvel uses its classic characters as either punching bags, punch lines, or whoopie cushions these days.
    This pretty much sums up why I have been down on not just Spidey but most of Marvel the last few years: where is the heroic stance and respect these characters should generate? I am pretty tired of Spidey being portrayed as little more than a court jester who needs help to defeat B-list villains; it seems like it has been forever that we have had a story that showcases Peter's heart and never-say-die spirit that used to be at the core of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapok View Post
    And cursed him into be a real BAD player. Before Rebecca, I can't remember the last time a girl got instantly smitten by him (or Spider-man, whatever).
    Probably Carlie.

Unless we're counting Norah.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    This pretty much sums up why I have been down on not just Spidey but most of Marvel the last few years: where is the heroic stance and respect these characters should generate?
    Only Kamala and Lady Thor and Cap. Marvel are allowed to have things like that these days. =\

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I am pretty tired of Spidey being portrayed as little more than a court jester who needs help to defeat B-list villains; it seems like it has been forever that we have had a story that showcases Peter's heart and never-say-die spirit that used to be at the core of his character.
    Agree. Modern writers seem prohibited from portraying classic characters as anything but deeply flawed.

And while I haven't read the Family Business GN, the summary for it gave me bad Amazing Spider-Man 2 flashbacks with the genetic coding and the parents .

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Thank you! I also enjoyed this issue. Was really surprised to see all the negative reaction so far and you have the only somewhat positive comment so far. While yes the humor in the book is a little more like deadpool than it is Spidey, I still found it funny and since the book is written by zdarsky I wouldn't expect anything else. To me it seems clear that Spectacular Spider-man is being set up to be the fun Spider-man book that concerns itself less with continuity, while amazing will do the heavy lifting in terms of character growth etc. For a supplementary book this was a great read and as long as we have amazing spider-man around having a book that is just for fun seems like a good idea to me. I get why this might not be for everyone but I am surprised to see people say it was one of the worst spiey books they have read in a while.
    Totally agree its nice to have a fun book for a change of pace. This is just the kind of thing that people need in these troubled times.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And while I haven't read the Family Business GN, the summary for it gave me bad Amazing Spider-Man 2 flashbacks with the genetic coding and the parents .
    Family Business was actually a pretty good story surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Totally agree its nice to have a fun book for a change of pace. This is just the kind of thing that people need in these troubled times.
    I think having a fun Spider-Man comic is great, I just think a fun book like Renew Your Vows is much better and truer to the character (even setting aside the marriage) then what we seem to be getting in this book.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Yes she is.
    That's good to know.

BANNED

I think having a fun Spider-Man comic is great, I just think a fun book like Renew Your Vows is much better and truer to the character (even setting aside the marriage) then what we seem to be getting in this book.

But that's just me.
    Ironic that a series featuring a married Peter Parker (the thing that Marvel absolutely loathes) is the most enjoyable and true to character book featuring Spider-Man at the moment.

But that's just me.
    This is a good alternative for me and others who aren't that fond of RYV.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    This is a good alternative for me and others who aren't that fond of RYV.
    Fair enough .

I just really don't care for the writing of handling of Peter here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Trash. Marvel uses its classic characters as either punching bags, punch lines, or whoopie cushions these days. With love: eff you, Marvel.
    I fully agree...its all about making the new diversity characters look smart,brave and infallible while making the classic characters look dumb,incompetent and fallible. Marvel is doing its best to artificially boost the new diverse characters while stepping on the backs of the long established classic characters. Marvel is trying to take short-cuts to make the new diverse characters more popular without those characters earning that popularity through their own stories or merit.I see this a lot recently with Miles Morales and trying to inject him into Peter's space...comics,games and movies. They are trying to shove these second tier characters down our throats so that we will accept them faster as being just as good or better than the originals. The way Marvel is going about presenting these new diverse characters is cheap and lazy and is not doing these diverse new characters any favors. Shoving them down our throats just makes us want to see more of the classic characters and not the new diverse ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I fully agree...its all about making the new diversity characters look smart,brave and infallible while making the classic characters look dumb,incompetent and fallible. Marvel is doing its best to artificially boost the new diverse characters while stepping on the backs of the long established classic characters. Marvel is trying to take short-cuts to make the new diverse characters more popular without those characters earning that popularity through their own stories or merit.I see this a lot recently with Miles Morales and trying to inject him into Peter's space...comics,games and movies. They are trying to shove these second tier characters down our throats so that we will accept them faster as being just as good or better than the originals. The way Marvel is going about presenting these new diverse characters is cheap and lazy and is not doing these diverse new characters any favors. Shoving them down our throats just makes us want to see more of the classic characters and not the new diverse ones.
    I more or less agree. Especially with the bottom line being that, ultimately, it does not do those characters any favors -- it won't win them new fans, it will only entrench current fans vs. non-fans more deeply.

Also, Mysterio is highly underrated. Love him.