• D---Below Expectations; Not Enjoying It

10 18.52%
  • F---Garbage; Dropped/Will Drop It

16 29.63%
  • Not Reading It

4 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I can only speak for myself but I really dislike the humor style which is much closer to the airport then it is to Spiderman. And the art is a very cartoony and amateurish in my opinion; definitely not up to Kuberts usual standards.

Huge disappointment for me after this book was hyped as a "return to street level action of huge disappointment for me after this book was hyped as a "return to street level action". Instead, it's a zanier Marvel Team-Up with little to no focus on Peter as a character.
    I wonder if there was a shift in what the title was supposed to be about now that ASM is becoming the "back-to-basics" book for Legacy so Spec needed a different niche.

Obviously we have the movie tie-in stuff with Vulture and Tinkerer (though no Shocker in sight), but otherwise this book doesn't seem to have much point outside of showing Peter in team-ups like in practically every major Spider-Man satellite starring Peter since BND.

I guess it's showing what's going on with Jonah, but frankly I expect Slott will probably do something more significant with him at a later point then Zdarsky will.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amazingfantasy
    - For like more than half of the interview he talks about his backstory, career, sex criminals, Howard the Duck, a little bit how the industry works, etc.
    As someone who's a trivia nerd, frequently follows behind the scenes stuff etc I was aware of basically everything he said, but if you're not very familiar with it or simply wanna know about more about Zdarsky, there's some interesting info there.
    But what I found Interesting is that he talks about his whole career, how he got from one point to another in detail, but doesn't mention how he got the job at PP:SSM.

- He says he turned down a lot of work from Marvel, DC and other publishers simply because he just does what he enjoys. Time and if he thinks he can do said book well also plays a part but it's mainly if he'll enjoy it, so he has a preference for light hearted books. He says that if he can't enjoy working on the book, wanting to do it, then he won't take the job, even with the possibility of regretting it later.

- Zdarsky says how he likes character/stories that are more fun and happy all the time, thus when there's a dark story it hits much harder. Not only that but he mentions how his own personality is like that. Like, when the silly, jokey guy gets serious it hits much harder. Naturally, he says that Spider-Man (the character) is the perfect example of that, and mentions how he intends to do something like that on the book. He also believes Kraven Last Hunt worked as well as it did because of that.

- As I said, Chip mentions how he will try and do this "happy and jokey mostly, but when things serious..." thing with Spectacular, he says the start will be happy and jokey (this podcast was before issue 1 officially came out) but by issue 3 or 4, stuff will start to hit, things will get more serious.

- According to Zdarsky, Adam Kubert is very excited to be working on Spider-Man.

- He says he studied what made a really good Spider-Man story in the past and work on it from there. He says that his stories will be lighter than the previous years, more jokes, more bad jokes, but he also wants to give the high stakes story that the readers want and that made him come back for more as a kid.

- Zdarsky talks about the boundaries of certain works in the industry, then goes on to mention PP:SSM. When he got the job, there were notes from the higher ups of things the book wanted to accomplish (I imagine the classic stuff) and what he could/should do or not,… What characters, stories etc to possibly bring in/reference, which ones to not. Chip says he likes the boundaries, helps him focus.
    Then he says the book focus on new and old readers, inject some things from previous years and suggests throwing in certain characters. Basically, there are bit of pieces of characters and rules that made the work easier for Chip. From the way he speaks, most if not all of this was all optional, it seems Zdarsky just chooses to follow it.

- Zdarsky says that if someone thinks Spider-Man's out of character, his approach to it is like “Well like, look at the years of the story, with all that’s happened to him he should be on a mental institution, if one of the things happened to a regular person… Game over”

- Zdarsky says that the more a character learns with time, he'd become too perfect, the “Superman/Cap” of the universe and you can’t have those, just one or two. So he says Spider-Man must screw up because of that. There are elements you can/have to get back on, he can learn but not learn too much to the point he’s not interesting.
    He continues and says that if we’re gonna be more logical with all the years, Peter should be highly respected and the smartest person on the Marvel Universe. But says that’s not a good plan on long-term, you can do a story or two with it but where do you go from there?

- Despite what we already saw of his writing on Spider-Man, Zdarsky says he is holding back the jokes, his personality, etc to work on the book. Man, can’t imagine if he wasn’t then… <_<

- He says he’s got 20-30 issues planned so far. (… You’d have to listen to it to truly get it, but from the way he speaks, and from the behind the scenes stuff he talked about, seems he's positive that he’ll stay on the book. Oh boy…)

- This one it’s the host who says, but Zdarsky agrees. He says that maybe readers don’t even know what they want, like they say that they want Peter to be married, happy, the most successful man in the world, all which he probably could be, but that does not make an interesting story. As I said Zdarsky agreed and mentioned Claremont’s run on the X-men as an example, how he consistently didn’t give the readers what they wanted. He says that when Claremont did what they wanted, shortly before his departure from the book, Zdarsky wasn’t interested anymore because basically there was no conflict, with everything good, all the favorites together, só he didn’t follow the book anymore.

- Zdarsky says he tries to differentiate himself from the other Spider books.

-He also says he loves Slott’s work. (And I don’t think anyone doubts this, but Zdarsky confirms that it’s Slott who calls the shots, defines the status quo, the biggest things will happen on ASM, etc.) Zdarsky jokes and says Slott does all heavy-lifting for him, he says he can have the fun thing happening on the side. Chip mentions that there still will be big stuff on his book but the difference between it and ASM, is that in PP:SSM the big things will be around Spidey and in ASM it’ll be on Spider-Man himself. Lastly, he says it’s possible there’s a point where they’ll crossover and plan things together.

- He says he likes the challenge and process of creating plots for Spider-Man, especially leaving things for the future and working with the previous ones. He says that it’s a fun nature of comics, and mentions some examples of it. Basically fixing things and creating new problems, leaving things for the next writer, etc.

- Zdarsky actually mentioned that he was going to explain Teresa’s backstory in issue 2 (Again, interview before issue came out) so readers didn’t have to pick or google ASM: Family Bussiness. Well, too late I guess lol.

- He makes the point again how Peter would be in a mental institution a long time ago with all that’s happened to him. Zdarsky also says that Peter Parker, who’s supposed to be an everyman, it becomes hard to see him as such with all that stuff.

- He says that Dan was playing with the idea of reintroducing MJ a bit more (:O), she and Peter talking more, so he went and followed that up. He says he likes the idea of them just chilling out, being friends etc. He mentions how people wrote to him how they thought MJ was OOC, saying how could they be casually joking about their relationship when there’s so much history, pain, heartbreak etc but Zdarsky once again just brings up the “if they actually felt all that’s happened to them... Mental Institution”.
    Then he stops focusing on Peter/MJ and goes more all around, saying sometimes you gotta sidestep and accelerates some things, look over it a little bit in order for something to work, exist in the pages. Zdarsky agrees with what the host said that it’s a 'you gotta joke not to cry' sort of thing, especially with Peter/MJ.

- He continues talking about this, saying that if you stop to think about that all those supporting characters have been murdered and brought back, or been a villain, or either happened to someone close to 'em. Zdarsky says you can’t dwell on that stuff too much or else there’ll be no stories, but that you also have to acknowledge it. He says everything falls apart if you do treat them like real people, check their history etc. Because again... Mental Institution. lol

- Due to his love/inspiration from Soap Operas (he mentions in this interview), he often thinks that Marvel characters should start aging. This point is brought up because things gotta change there and can’t always reset like comics since actors age, die, change jobs etc and it’s what differentiates it from comics, you can’t make these characters in the same position forever due to that, you can't hit the reset button like in comics. If that were to happen he says Peter can be on his 70's and retire, and Miles can be Spider-Man (Is this indirectly saying Miles isn't hehe ) ((Chip, Morales would be old as heck too LOL))

- Lastly he mentions the Spidey's senior citizens rogues and jokes about it with the host for a bit… I guess he was
    dying to put that line in the book. LOL
    So, here's a summary of this podcast interview Zdarsky did. All credits go to @amazingfantasy for finding it, and taking the time to transcribe it. This is just copied from a post he/she made over on ComicVine. I thought people here might find it interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    So, here's a summary of this podcast interview Zdarsky did. All credits go to @amazingfantasy for finding it, and taking the time to transcribe it. This is just copied from a post he/she made over on ComicVine. I thought people here might find it interesting as well.
    Pretty much re-posting my thoughts on this from the Crawlspace:

I guess I respect and appreciate Zdarsky's thoughts about having the book start out light and fun before bringing in the darker and more serious stuff, but so far I haven't been convinced he'll be able to pull it off well. Certainly not at the level of Kraven's Last Hunt.

And, frankly, Spider-Man has been jokey enough in the past few years that I don't think Spec stands out in that regard, though I guess it's trying to top ASM in how goofy Peter and the book can feel.

I'm guessing the "boundaries" or "rules" included using the Homecoming villains and including Jameson. Slott suggesting Mary Jane is a surprise, though certainly not in his emphasis on them being friends.

Is that how we should look at Peter whenever we feel he's acting out-of-character? That he should really, sensibly, be insane at this point? Is that how we should view characterization and storytelling now?

I don't think the Spider-Man of the 90's or of the JMS era was "too perfect" on a Superman and Cap level, even though he wasn't the idiot screw-up that he is in the comics most of the time. I don't think a competent and adult Spider-Man is a turn-off for people.

And it's not like he needs to be "highly respected" but at this point it makes even less sense that he's as disrespected as he is by other heroes. He should not be the joke of any Avengers team he's on.

I think there's still plenty of interesting stuff to be done with a married Spider-Man, and that plenty of people didn't tune out when all the pairings/weddings in the X-Men happened, but I guess I understand the sentiment.

Definitely sounds like Slott is still the "head honcho," at least as far as Zdarsky is concerned. Take from that what you will as to what that means towards him staying on the book post-800.

I will be genuinely surprised if Zdarsky makes it to 20-30 issues, even with Legacy.

I'd give it a C. There's nothing really terrible or offensively bad about the comic. There just isn't anything particularly great either.

I would be a little bit surprised if this book made it past issue 20.

F. It's just bad. Dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post

Eh, I can appreciate what Zdarsky is saying here but, for me, this is just a bad book. Out of my loyalty for the character and to be fair, I will give it till about #5 but I think I will be dropping this; it's just not an enjoyable read for me.

BANNED

I really don't get all the critics about the main character being OOC and the exaggerated goofiness of the book. I have started reading Spider Man in 1984 and this feels like Spider Man to me, a goofy screw up that cracks joke after joke because he is nervous due to his insecurities. It may be because me and the writer have started reading his books in the same period, while many other readers started later. I understand not liking the book, it's a matter of taste, especially when a book has a lot of humour is easy to not like it because humour is super subjective, but not feeling like Spider Man (or at least like a canonical Spider Man as he has been written for at least a couple of decades) I don't understand.

Its vapid, silly, has Spider-man and the Human Torch in it, and has lots of big dumb action and characters saying comic booky stuff. Totally makes me embarrassed to read and like it.

In other words, its exactly what I want and expect from every comic book ever. Solid as ice B.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    I really don't get all the critics about the main character being OOC and the exaggerated goofiness of the book. I have started reading Spider Man in 1984 and this feels like Spider Man to me, a goofy screw up that cracks joke after joke because he is nervous due to his insecurities. It may be because me and the writer have started reading his books in the same period, while many other readers started later. I understand not liking the book, it's a matter of taste, especially when a book has a lot of humour is easy to not like it because humour is super subjective, but not feeling like Spider Man (or at least like a canonical Spider Man as he has been written for at least a couple of decades) I don't understand.
    I often fail to comprehend why people have to always say "this is the Spider-Man I've been reading since the eighties". I never understood it when BND was running either. I've been reading Spidey since the 80s too and he's never acted as preposterously comedic and doofy as he does here.

Enjoy it all you like, but from my perspective, this is not eighties/classic Spider-Man. This is modern day Spidey, a guy who is always the butt of the joke even when he cracks butt ugly jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its vapid, silly, has Spider-man and the Human Torch in it, and has lots of big dumb action and characters saying comic booky stuff. Totally makes me embarrassed to read and like it.

In other words, its exactly what I want and expect from every comic book ever. Solid as ice B.
    Honestly mate, I read the newspaper strip and get almost the exact same thing, only it's way classier. The fact it's written by decades long vets who know their end of business with Spidey helps with that.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-25-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Honestly mate, I read the newspaper strip and get almost the exact same thing, only it's way classier. The fact it's written by decades long vets who know their end of business with Spidey helps with that.
    Newspaper strips are tough for me. Three panels per day is just way too little substance per shot.

I can see not liking the humor in PPTSSM, but implying that it is not classy and unprofessional? Huh. You sound like my parents.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

i gave it a b a solid read!

it's what I want from my peter funny flawed & a solid story about his sis! lol

I've been collecting spidey both asm & pp since the 80's and this kinda hits in that area 3 issue in. the team-ups are nostalgic & welcomed.

the art is kubert..so he's one of the best artists out there so no problems there.

I'm a little surprised by the low grades..but the group here has been at war with slott for months & with Quesada for omd so this poll is premature (3 issues in) & laced with fan vitriol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    I'm a little surprised by the low grades..but the group here has been at war with slott for months & with Quesada for omd so this poll is premature (3 issues in) & laced with fan vitriol.
    I dont think its fan vitriol. I just think a lot of us dont like the book much so far.

I have enjoyed Slotts work but this book is just not hitting any right notes for me at all when it comes to the story. The art is perfectly fine but not enough for me to keep on buying this book anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I often fail to comprehend why people have to always say "this is the Spider-Man I've been reading since the eighties". I never understood it when BND was running either. I've been reading Spidey since the 80s too and he's never acted as preposterously comedic and doofy as he does here.

Enjoy it all you like, but from my perspective, this is not eighties/classic Spider-Man. This is modern day Spidey, a guy who is always the butt of the joke even when he cracks butt ugly jokes.
    Well I remember the Human Torch and Spider Man making fun of each other since forever. I remember Spider Man beaten by Vultures knock off armed with arrows and failing to make it in time for May birthday in a very nice story. I remember him failing to make it in time to meet May for months, maybe years in a row because having problems defeating very street level villain or simple gangster. I remember him having problems easily defeating the Kingpin even without him having tech gizmos. I remember a lot of the non superhuman cast making fun of him, even mistreat him regularly like the female blond editors of the bugle, or the guy that for a while replaced Jonah. Jonah himself always humiliated him, and his heroic and serious answers to that was webbing is ass on the chair. I remember him acting ridiculously clumsy and awkward with his three female neighbors, not to talk how he was handled by her neighbors' aunt, the landlord he hide from because he didn't want to confront her when he lacked money for rent. I remember him messing up Silver Sable's mission because he didn't understand politics and he was totally unprepared to deal with politics and long games. And so on, and so on. And in all this situations he was ALWAYS acting comedic and cracking bad jokes about the situations and himself.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Well I remember the Human Torch and Spider Man making fun of each other since forever. I remember Spider Man beaten by Vultures knock off armed with arrows and failing to make it in time for May birthday in a very nice story. I remember him failing to make it in time to meet May for months, maybe years in a row because having problems defeating very street level villain or simple gangster. I remember him having problems easily defeating the Kingpin even without him having tech gizmos. I remember a lot of the non superhuman cast making fun of him, even mistreat him regularly like the female blond editors of the bugle, or the guy that for a while replaced Jonah. Jonah himself always humiliated him, and his heroic and serious answers to that was webbing is ass on the chair. I remember him acting ridiculously clumsy and awkward with his three female neighbors, not to talk how he was handled by her neighbors' aunt, the landlord he hide from because he didn't want to confront her when he lacked money for rent. I remember him messing up Silver Sable's mission because he didn't understand politics and he was totally unprepared to deal with politics and long games. And so on, and so on. And in all this situations he was ALWAYS acting comedic and cracking bad jokes about the situations and himself.
    I dunno. I can see where you're coming from but at the same time I don't think Zdarsky is really capturing the feel of Peter or Spider-Man as well as the writers who handled those stories. It's all in the delivery.

He's trying to capture that feel of that era but it comes off more like a parody or just too comedic and spastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. I can see where you're coming from but at the same time I don't think Zdarsky is really capturing the feel of Peter or Spider-Man as well as the writers who handled those stories. It's all in the delivery.

He's trying to capture that feel of that era but it comes off more like a parody or just too comedic and spastic.
    Exactly how I feel. Zdarsky appears to be trying way, way too hard and this book resembles nothing so much as a Deadpool title, not a Spidey book. And especially not one that was promoted as being a back to basics street level Spidey book; that made me think we were going to get something closer to what Bill Mantlo or Peter David on this title back in the 1980's and not the bad slapstick humor and nonstop tea ups we are getting now.