Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Wonder woman, catwoman and lora croft actresses--I'm going to work extra hard and train so I can give the fans my all and be faithful to the hero i'm playing.

Hugh--I will train for wolverine for all the fans that love the X-Men.

Chris--I will train and lose my pot belly to play captain America and torch to be faithful to those heroes.

Rob--WB can cg out my beer belly.

He looked fine in those pictures they posted of him as batman but yeah this is not good for someone getting paid more money then I will get in my lifetime to play and look the part of batman.

As for his comment that James dean never worked out, James dean didn't play a comic book superhero like batman in todays post blade world where it's expected to be at least fit for the roll.

BANNED

this does not matter at all. he could decide that he doesn't want to work out one bit for this movie and the audience would not be able to tell the difference, through editing, padding in the suit, special effects, etc. these things are actually more commonplace than people are aware. there are many recent films where the environments and even the props or costumes are completely computer generated. it literally doesn't matter, the era of filmmaking where it did matter is long in the past and limited to low budget films

He is not going to get fat for not working out. People need to chill

You don't hire a guy like Robert Pattinson cause you want a muscular Batman anyway, i don't know what that movie is going to be about but i dare to imagine that it's going to be a Batman using more his agility than his brute strenght.

As it should be i would tend to think.

And really, has he EVER been fat?
    Last edited by Starter Set; 05-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    You don't hire a guy like Robert Pattinson cause you want a muscular Batman anyway, i don't know what that movie is going to be about but i dare to imagine that it's going to be a Batman using more his agility than his brute strenght.

As it should be i would tend to think.

And really, has he EVER been fat?
    I don't think people are worried about that but the opposite that he'll be too thin to be believable trainers for Hollywood actors on Superhero films don't usually help to lose weight but to gain it as muscle.

RP said "In the 70's they didn't do this" but Christopher Reeve did with David Prowse AKA Darth Vader as his trainer wait does that make Superman a Sith? Never mind question for another day but Reeve was a rail when cast he needed muscle to be believable.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Now at first it didn't bother me what RP said... but now... Batman is about getting better and better. Both physically and mentally. Heath Ledger became crazy to play Joker. RP says he does not do anything??

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The Batman Who Lounges.
    Heh. Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    RP said "In the 70's they didn't do this" but Christopher Reeve did with David Prowse AKA Darth Vader as his trainer wait does that make Superman a Sith? Never mind question for another day but Reeve was a rail when cast he needed muscle to be believable.
    I remember a documentary on the ‘78 Superman movie, and Chris recounting how he wore the biggest bulkiest sweater he could find for the audition, so as to look larger.

Then they spent some time showing how he did what was necessary, to bulk up to play the part once he got it.

What gets me is that Superman actors are generally expected to be fit. Kirk Alyn and George Reeves didn't lift weights because even stars didn't do that back then but they exercised and they had to in order to hold their arms and legs up hanging from those wires. Christopher Reeve worked out. So did Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill. Not sure about Dean Caine. But the vast majority did even though his strength comes from his powers so he really doesn't have to have huge muscles.

But Batman seems to be the opposite. Adam West did work out but it was 1960s style. It wasn't lifting weights. But with the exception of Ben Affleck, every Batman actor looks like he did one pushup in his life and this is a role about a guy who is the ultimate athlete among other things. I'm not saying he has to look like he's on steroids but at least a Kevin Sorbo as Hercules level. I would think it's just part of the job. Since they hired a trainer, it's clearly part of the job.

I'll readily admit we don't know the whole story. Once they can get out again, maybe he will go into serious training. Meanwhile, looks like his co-star is putting everything into being a fit Catwoman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I remember a documentary on the ‘78 Superman movie, and Chris recounting how he wore the biggest bulkiest sweater he could find for the audition, so as to look larger.

Then they spent some time showing how he did what was necessary, to bulk up to play the part once he got it.
    I remember an interview with him where they told him they'd have him wear a muscle suit and he just said, tell me and show me what you want me to look like and that's what I'll look like by the time we start filming.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

I’m not gonna get into everyone’s opinions here, as their all fine and valid. But there seems to be a lot of the usual comic casting concerns pre-release. We went there with Heath Ledger. And Benedict Cumberbatch. I’ll judge the movie and the acting when it comes out.

I mean, what do people take away from Batman v Superman? Ben Affleck smashing a tire with a sledgehammer? Or a very average film? There’s another thread talking about how some of the best actors came in to comic book roles - and we aren’t focusing on their physical appearance. When did it become necessary for the Worlds Greatest Detective to be shredded like Tyler Durden and be the size of the Rock? We are talking about characters who put on colorful costumes!

But, like I said before, Pattinson is a funny guy and is likely taking the piss. He was asked about Tenet and said he couldn’t even remember the plot of the film. Someone calls up Christopher Nolan and he says, “Pattinson is slightly fucking with you.” Nobody knows how serious Pattinson is in this interview. It’s hilarious. I thinking the American (lack of) sense of humor is a factor here.

And nobody knows what actual physical shape he is in, or what training he is actually doing. Maybe he is lowering expectations so you will all be blown away when the movie comes out. Who knows? Who knows what level of professionalism he actually has? It’s good enough for Nolan. It’s good enough for WB to put him in their biggest movie stable after their last two Batflicks were subpar. I’m guessing it’s probably not strangers on a comic book forum.

If y’all wanna hyperventilate about an actor playing a superhero in tights not being muscly enough go right ahead. The male power fantasy lives on.
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 05-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    this does not matter at all. he could decide that he doesn't want to work out one bit for this movie and the audience would not be able to tell the difference, through editing, padding in the suit, special effects, etc. these things are actually more commonplace than people are aware. there are many recent films where the environments and even the props or costumes are completely computer generated. it literally doesn't matter, the era of filmmaking where it did matter is long in the past and limited to low budget films
    I don't think the issue is "can the film cover it up", for me the issue is: why should HE decide that the editors, and costume designers, and make-up artists and cinematographer have to worker harder (WHEN PAID LESS) to compensate for his laziness? It's pure ego. Requiring others to worker harder because your giant paycheck and personal trainer didn't 'motivate you enough' in isolation to work for two hours. He has nothing else to do right now, it's not a big ask (esp. when taking into account how much he's being paid to look a certain way).

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    You don't hire a guy like Robert Pattinson cause you want a muscular Batman anyway
    By the same logic: you don't hire a personal trainer for someone because you don't care what Batman looks like

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    If y’all wanna hyperventilate about an actor playing a superhero in tights not being muscly enough go right ahead. The male power fantasy lives on.
    I don't think it's to do with a power fantasy, if the studio doesn't care to have a Batman in shape, cool. Love it! Embrace the new normal, take a different approach, etc. The fact they paid for a personal trainer, to me, implies that is not the case. For me the issue is about privilege. A black actress is having to train hard because the studio won't tolerate anything less from her (there are so many stories of producers telling actresses they are 'fat' because they aren't a rake). Meanwhile the str8 white guy... brags in an interview about how, when he has nothing to do, he doesn't even train despite being asked to. It just doesn't come from a very informed place. Or a place of understanding about his privilege.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-14-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I don't think the issue is "can the film cover it up", for me the issue is: why should HE decide that the editors, and costume designers, and make-up artists and cinematographer have to worker harder (WHEN PAID LESS) to compensate for his laziness? It's pure ego. Requiring others to worker harder because your giant paycheck and personal trainer didn't 'motivate you enough' in isolation to work for two hours. He has nothing else to do right now, it's not a big ask (esp. when taking into account how much he's being paid to look a certain way).

By the same logic: you don't hire a personal trainer for someone because you don't care what Batman looks like

I don't think it's to do with a power fantasy, if the studio doesn't care to have a Batman in shape, cool. Love it! Embrace the new normal, take a different approach, etc. The fact they paid for a personal trainer, to me, implies that is not the case. For me the issue is about privilege. A black actress is having to train hard because the studio won't tolerate anything less from her (there are so many stories of producers telling actresses they are 'fat' because they aren't a rake). Meanwhile the str8 white guy... brags in an interview about how, when he has nothing to do, he doesn't even train despite being asked to. It just doesn't come from a very informed place. Or a place of understanding about his privilege.
    Like I said, we don’t know if that’s actually the case, as you can tell by the tone of the rest of the interview.

Also, a personal trainer to do what exactly? We don’t know!!

Joker: One white guy jokes about not doing 1000 crunches a day and everyone loses their minds!
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 05-14-2020 at 04:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    When did it become necessary for the Worlds Greatest Detective to be shredded like Tyler Durden and be the size of the Rock? We are talking about characters who put on colorful costumes!

But, like I said before, Pattinson is a funny guy and is likely taking the piss. ... It’s hilarious. I thinking the American (lack of) sense of humor is a factor here.
    I don't know enough about the situation to have an opinion, but in an era where an entire class of people are vilified daily for working three jobs but still needing welfare, I'd say that a joke about being hired to do something and not doing it, but being paid tons for it regardless, isn't very funny. I don't know if he was hired on any expectation of physical condition, and I don't know if he's in less than excellent shape.

But I do know that if it's a joke, it is (to put it in context) piss-poor.

That that's coming from an American with a lack of sense of humor I guess

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    That that's coming from an American with a lack of sense of humor I guess
    Nah, I’m an American w. a GREAT sense of humor, and I’m of like mind.