View Poll Results: How would you feel?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANGRY! This is the cheapest kind of tokenism!!!

9 6.77%
  • ANNOYED! It’s 2014 and we STILL don’t have an LGBT Avenger

13 9.77%
  • UNSURPRISED! Stonewall 2.0 (*roll eyes*)

9 6.77%
  • DISAPPOINTED! I expected better of Hickman

8 6.02%
  • INDIFFERENT! The sexuality of an Avenger is unimportant to me.

89 66.92%
  • RELIEVED! The first LGBT Avenger should be important, not ignored or outed in a throwaway line

3 2.26%
  • OVERJOYED! Team Hickman for Life!!!

2 1.50%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Question If Hickman ends his run on Avengers without outing his mysterious "LGBT Avenger"...

How would you feel? Would it matter? Would it anger you? Would you feel let down? Would you be relieved? Would you rather he doesn't out them in an interview after, because that will annoy you more? I'm genuinely curious to see what posters think on the subject...

Mighty Member

Doesn't the term "outing" have a negative sort of connotation? As if you uncovered misdeeds a person was trying to hide? May want to rephrase.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    How would you feel? Would it matter? Would it anger you? Would you feel let down? Would you be relieved? Would you rather he doesn't out them in an interview after, because that will annoy you more? I'm genuinely curious to see what posters think on the subject...
    I didn't even know Hickman had created an LGBT Avenger.

When did this happen?

What is LGBT?

When/Where did Hickman state this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Doesn't the term "outing" have a negative sort of connotation? As if you uncovered misdeeds a person was trying to hide? May want to rephrase.
    As far as I understand it's perfectly acceptable to use the term "outing" to describe someone coming out the closet. It's not just used as the negative to mean: forcibly outing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    What is LGBT?
    Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    I didn't even know Hickman had created an LGBT Avenger.
    When did this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    When/Where did Hickman state this?
    Hickman was asked in an interview why none of his 30+ Avengers were LGBT, and he respond "one of them is" (he did also add it maybe something he never ends up bringing up). This was before issue #1 came out of either New Avengers or Avengers back at the end of 2012, I believe.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder if he said it so people would stop harping on it like the guy that kept asking if Mockingbird would be on the team.

Ah, I missed that then. But I'll admit indifference in terms of not seeing this happen in Hickman's run. Do I understand the importance of having one? Absolutely and we will probably see inclusion on the team soon.

But in term of Hickman's story, it's been all plot driven and the only real expression of orientation we've seen is when Smasher and Cannonball hooked up. Everything else has been about moving the plot forward.

Ah, I missed that then. But I'll admit indifference in terms of not seeing this happen in Hickman's run. Do I understand the importance of having one? Absolutely and we will probably see inclusion on the team soon.

But in term of Hickman's story, it's been all plot driven and the only real expression of orientation we've seen is when Smasher and Cannonball hooked up. Everything else has been about moving the plot forward.
    Yeah I agree with this. There has been such little focus on any kind of character development that I don't mind at all. This just doesn't seem like the book for that. And if he already said he may not get to it, then I don't see how anyone can really mind....it's not like he's set false expectations.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    As far as I understand it's perfectly acceptable to use the term "outing" to describe someone coming out the closet. It's not just used as the negative to mean: forcibly outing someone.
    "Coming out" and "being outed" are not the same thing. Especially when you say, "When are you gonna out this guy, already?" Sounds like you have malicious plans for when he does.

I just don't see the point on having one if it's going to be kept a secret. The only poiNt to admit there is one (and not show it) is to show a non visible diversity. But by not showing it, it's not really diverse so the whole things becomes moot.

Shrug.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I wouldn't really care. I got on board for an epic, cosmic adventure. He's pretty much delivered on that front. I could understand people being a little upset if they read specifically to support a LGBT character though.

To make a really lame analogy, it's like having a tram of brown eyes people. And someone asks why there is no blue eyed person and you answer with "one of them does have blue eyes. It's one of the ones who always wears sunglasses (and I'm not saying which one) and you will never see them but I swear they are there!"

Though it's true that Hickman's books haven't been the font of in-depth character relations/soap opera bollocks (delete as preferred) that past writers' efforts have been, and thus it could be argued that an LGBT character's orientation going unmentioned shouldn't be stressed as an issue...yeah, no, Hickman already said there was one, and you can't just say stuff like that then not deliver. Or rather, you can but it's a bit crappy of you.

FWIW, I figure Sunspot's gay and he's been struggling with how to explain his massive crush to Cannonball all this time. That's why he looked so bummed when Cannonball got with Smasher.

The problem is with this arguement: tomorrow is always a day away (a glib answer; apologies, because I do agree with you, it will happen... but being so close merely emphasises how far away it is).

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    And if he already said he may not get to it, then I don't see how anyone can really mind....it's not like he's set false expectations.
    It doesn't make him a liar, that is true. But it can still upset people. Why bother saying one is LGBT if you're never going to mention it in comics? What message does that send? For example is Stonewall gay? Hickman never outed him in the comic, it's not canon. If a writer came in and paired him with a woman, it isn't actually incorrect (since his sexuality was never stated in a comic).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wonder if he said it so people would stop harping on it like the guy that kept asking if Mockingbird would be on the team.
    I thought it was Songbird? Hickman then joked he'd kill her off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    "Coming out" and "being outed" are not the same thing. Especially when you say, "When are you gonna out this guy, already?" Sounds like you have malicious plans for when he does.
    Is there a reason you simultaneously seem to care a great deal about how this phrase is written down AND YET indifferent enough to the situation to not vote on the poll?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-14-2014 at 03:39 PM.