Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Great looking art, and I'm surprised at just how much Huntress stories Tamaki is going to be written in the next few months. I do wonder whythey keep going back and forth on her skin color..

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Mariko Tamaki and David Lapham Give Huntress Her First Super Power

Batman Secret Files: Huntress #1

On Tuesday July 27, Detective Comics and Eisner Award-winning writer Mariko Tamaki teams up with acclaimed Stray Bullets writer/artist David Lapham for a new tale featuring Gotham City’s Violet Vengeance! Huntress has been through a LOT lately...including her brain being invaded by a violent parasite bent on sending her on a deadly slugfest. If that wasn’t enough, now she has to deal with enhanced abilities too, thanks to a villain by the name of Vile. This parasite has given her the ability to see through the eyes of his victims and this is not her idea of a good time! Huntress isn’t one to be played with, and she’s on the hunt for Vile, with a crossbow bolt with his name on it!

Also weighing in at 40 pages, this one-shot features a main cover by Irvin Rodriguez (Future State: Robin Eternal), with a card stock variant by Riccardo Federici.
    She's a metahuman now?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She's a metahuman now?
    Personally, I hope it's just temporary, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She's a metahuman now?
    It sounds like it's temporary.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

She will get the same arcs as the Punisher. First black skin then metahuman then Franken-Helena then she'll play nanny to Baby Darkseid

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    She will get the same arcs as the Punisher. First black skin then metahuman then Franken-Helena then she'll play nanny to Baby Darkseid
    Wait for "Battle for the Scowl: Huntress v Hood: The Search for More Money."

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

With the Birds of Prey TV show having turned into a bit of a cult following, it seems that they are going for a bit if that vibe.
    It's an interesting power set, not something I can recall anyone else having. Tamaki hasn't impressed me much over all, but her Dark Detective was good.
    The one thing I just don't like is that costume. There were so many other options they could have gone after rather than a midriff shirt.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Just read 'tec 1035.
    Well, just a set-up issue... anyway is good to have back Helena as main character of some stories.
    I'm not a fan of the midriff shirt too.

Astonishing Member

Detective continues to feel very Rucka-era to me which is a fine thing. I think my opinion on it will likely be highly resultant on the length of the episodes, so to speak - like if this first bit, the Worth bit murder mystery with the ins and outs of Bruce's peers and mayoral stuff and what-not, rocks out at like four issues (fine length for an initial inciting murder mystery) and then moves into the next interesting thing ... while keeping the running tab on the season long arc situation ... I think the pacing will feel very good and the world-building and character interactions will feel excellent.

But anyway specifically Huntress, I liked the inclusion or sort of low-key reintroduction here. I also think the midriff is a little silly. Obviously less silly than what it's homaging. And her mask effectively serves no function other than coolness frankly. But it was a fine intro back-up with nice art and a compelling beat. I'm excited to follow up on it and it's always good to have an ongoing Huntress storyline that I'm excited to follow up on.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Another 'Tec issue filled with Huntress action.
    Bruce isn't keeping Helena at distance as he often is used to do. They are tagging along on the case and I like it.
    The backing story flows nicely too. You cannot miss this issue if you are an Helena Bertinelli fan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Great looking art, and I'm surprised at just how much Huntress stories Tamaki is going to be written in the next few months. I do wonder whythey keep going back and forth on her skin color..
    I blame the movie

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I blame the movie
    Why the movie ? I think the movie perfectly depicted Huntress's origin. The movie had its problems but Huntress was the best part of it. Besides Bertinelli is Italian and Italians are white. I blame Tim Selley and DC for this mess because you don't screw over established characters.
    Last edited by Veni; 05-27-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Besides Bertinelli is Italian and Italians are white.
    Southern Italians and Sicilians with Moorish heritage would disagree.

Though if they want to stick by the movie then shouldn't Dinah be depicted as black now?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Though if they want to stick by the movie then shouldn't Dinah be depicted as black now?
    Can't we just forget the movie?

NOTE: I've never seen the movie and have no intention nor desire to see it.
    And I definitely don't want to have it override the comic book stories that came well before it!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Not all Southern Italians have darker skin. Sicilians with Moorish heritage were expelled from Sicily by the inquisition. They aren't considered Sicilian because Sicily was occupied by the Moors. In Europe, identity and religion ( people aren't religious tho, it's only about tradition) are a part of one's national identity. The only exception are the Albanians who only value their national identity rather than their religious identity. In Europe, everyone values their national identity first and consider themselves as Europeans second. It's not nationalism but people respect their own culture and traditions.