Default Steve Orlando's WONDER WOMAN About 'Female Heroes Supporting Female Heroes'

https://www.newsarama.com/48028-stev...-monsters.html

And a lot about this Wonder Woman book, as I said, has been about tracing her, again in the DCU, it's a superhero book and it's about female heroes supporting female heroes. So a lot of the characters you see, even in #82, are going to be unexpected appearances, but they become foundational for me and I'm very excited about that. I mean we have two queer women of color in the first issue. We have, a slight spoiler, one of the first meetings between Wonder Woman and the Wonder Woman of China, so much of these characters holding each other up. To me, that's what a Wonder Woman book's about. And getting to do that is very exciting.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

So happy the JLC is showing up in other books now, they’re great characters.

I know that I should be careful about not interpreting Orlando's words too negatively and I truly think he wants to do well by Diana and the title. But some things stick out to me in the interview.

In her mind, she owes Diana and because of the lives, when Diana saved her from Urzkartaga. But like that friend that always has good intentions but does everything the wrong way, Cheetah's going about it in the Cheetah way, which is a primal and aggressive and with very little caring for collateral damage, because she essentially thinks that she's doing what's best for Diana even though Diana can't see it herself.
    Now, as motivations go, this is a swell one. But it's also a rather complex one, and it doesn't really fit with the Cheetah as she has been written before. But instead of doing the groundwork in establishing Cheetah's new motivation properly, we get interviews explaining it. That's just crappy storytelling.

Now, I get that scheduling from the editorial side might make it hard to get the room to tell it properly, but then the solution shouldn't be to post ex cathedra explanations of things that are not elucidated enough in-story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like the sounds of what Orlando has planned for Wonder Woman(and Gotham Monsters). I hope we get some appearances by Donna, Cassie, Black Canary, Vixen, Mera, & Zatanna.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I know that I should be careful about not interpreting Orlando's words too negatively and I truly think he wants to do well by Diana and the title. But some things stick out to me in the interview.

Now, as motivations go, this is a swell one. But it's also a rather complex one, and it doesn't really fit with the Cheetah as she has been written before. But instead of doing the groundwork in establishing Cheetah's new motivation properly, we get interviews explaining it. That's just crappy storytelling.

Now, I get that scheduling from the editorial side might make it hard to get the room to tell it properly, but then the solution shouldn't be to post ex cathedra explanations of things that are not elucidated enough in-story.
    I think Orlando is following Ruka when it comes to Cheetah. And I like that, because gww portrayed Cheetah as a generic and weak cat lady villain.

I disagree, Orlando explained Cheetah's motivation plainly and succinctly in the latest issue. He didn't need the interview for us to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I disagree, Orlando explained Cheetah's motivation plainly and succinctly in the latest issue. He didn't need the interview for us to understand.
    That said the cameos opened up Wonder Woman's world and added gravitas. I'm glad he's including them.

I really like that bit about superheroines supporting superheroines and I'm looking forward to how he develops that.

His appreciation and use of some of Diana's unused and obscure foes in the past makes me hope he'll dig deep into her bench of characters and mythology.

In contrast to superheroines supporting superheroines, I'd love to see how certain villainesses view sisterhood and whether or not they are able to support one another... or to the degree to which it falls apart for them.

Hopefully he'll start to include her ''Wonder Family'' Artemis.Troia.Nubia.Wonder Girl.Fury.Grace Choi as part of the plan of Heroines supporting each other let's start w her own family first.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. Cheetah's new motivation is simply dropped in, without any explanation why or how it changed from the end of Rucka's run to the start of Orlando's run. Wilson's Cheetah on the other hand felt like a natural continuation from Rucka's Cheetah. Perhaps a bit more nihilistic and bitter, but it was on the same trajectory that Rucka first set out in Rebirth.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. Cheetah's new motivation is simply dropped in, without any explanation why or how it changed from the end of Rucka's run to the start of Orlando's run. Wilson's Cheetah on the other hand felt like a natural continuation from Rucka's Cheetah. Perhaps a bit more nihilistic and bitter, but it was on the same trajectory that Rucka first set out in Rebirth.
    I feel the opposite way. Despite her desire to reach Themyscira Wilson's Cheetah had gone off course, but Orlando brought her back to Rucka's characterization. It's explicit in the reference to Diana freeing Cheetah from Urzkartarga and now Cheetah wants to free Diana from her gods. It's a warped sense of debt repayment and fair play that goes back to their initial friendship.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Hopefully he'll start to include her ''Wonder Family'' Artemis.Troia.Nubia.Wonder Girl.Fury.Grace Choi as part of the plan of Heroines supporting each other let's start w her own family first.
    I know I'd be interested to see Grace again (unless I'm very mistaken she hasn't been seen sincebefore FLASHPOINT!) ad I think Orlando might do well with Cassie and Donna too.