Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Characters that were wasted in the Ultimate Universe

What characters did you think were wasted in the Ultimate Universe, either killed off too quickly or Ultimatized in a rather unsatisfying manner.

Most of the characters who died in Ultimatum were wasted, killed off for the sake of shock value.

Certain villains seem wasted, Sebastian Shaw would have been a cool reoccurring villain (look at how menacing and vile he was X-Men First Class), but Millar killed him off after a few issues. I think Gladiator (Melvin Potter) seems wasted, he was a tragic figure who struggled with mental illness in the 616 universe and just a joke in the UU. Even Ultimate Electro seems to have been killed off before he got any sort of real character focus story. They may have updated Ultimate Electro's gimmick, but they really failed to make him more of an interesting character then his 616 counter part, at least in terms of the stories that gave 616 Electro some character focus.

Incredible Member

Tony Stark ba-dum-tish

Moondragon, as some random assassin. John Jameson as Jameson's son who died before Spider-Man started.

Red Skull is #1 on my list. He was so freaking terrifying in the UU. I mostly agree with the OP on all the people killed in Ultimatum, but a lot of those characters were part of my favorite comics ever penned so that will always be there to go back to. Zarda was a waste in the UU, so much potential and nothing really happens (cue Wyokid making a comment about the Hulk annual ).
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Red Skull & Gambit.

BANNED

Modi, and in fact the whole of Hydra as a group. However, it looks like Hydra will be making an appearance in MMUSM.
    Rhino.
    Blob.
    Hawkeye hasn't had nearly as much attention as he should have.
    Sandman.
    Doom.
    Hulk has been a bit all over the place, character-wise. I thought he was great in original Ultimates and Wolverine vs Hulk, but his more recent characterisation is pretty inconsistent.
    Carnage.

Punisher, could have done a lot more with him instead of killing him.

Hercules, thought his introduction was lackluster.

Mr. Sinister, a street thug in a cult?

Gary Richards, really missed the boat on him could of have been a super scientist who Reed lives in his shadow

Taskmaster, don't care for him being super human

BANNED

Fialkov killing Punisher was incredibly lame.

Kid Daredevil getting killed in his first arc was lame.

Red Skull could still be used in stories, if we could delve onto Avengers' history.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    What characters did you think were wasted in the Ultimate Universe, either killed off too quickly or Ultimatized in a rather unsatisfying manner.

Most of the characters who died in Ultimatum were wasted, killed off for the sake of shock value.

Certain villains seem wasted, Sebastian Shaw would have been a cool reoccurring villain (look at how menacing and vile he was X-Men First Class), but Millar killed him off after a few issues. I think Gladiator (Melvin Potter) seems wasted, he was a tragic figure who struggled with mental illness in the 616 universe and just a joke in the UU. Even Ultimate Electro seems to have been killed off before he got any sort of real character focus story. They may have updated Ultimate Electro's gimmick, but they really failed to make him more of an interesting character then his 616 counter part, at least in terms of the stories that gave 616 Electro some character focus.
    All of the characters were wasted. The only one that was worth a damn was Spider-Man, and they went and killed him!!!!!!!

Don't even get me started on what they did with the X-Men!

Reed Richards - He should have been kept as a villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Reed Richards - He should have been kept as a villain.
    100% agree. There was no need for him to suddenly regret his actions, his characterisation throughout Hickman's and Fialkov's Ultimates was fantastic, only to be undone as soon as Cataclysm happened.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    100% agree. There was no need for him to suddenly regret his actions, his characterisation throughout Hickman's and Fialkov's Ultimates was fantastic, only to be undone as soon as Cataclysm happened.
    eh, didn't he do all that because kang told him it would save the world?

Daredevil and all the other characters who got killed in Ultimatum. What a shame. God, I loved the UU. It was still good after that, but not the same thing at all

Echoing the complete mis-use of Daredevil. I think a lot of the street-level heroes got an unfair shake. DD, Iron Fist and Shang-Chi were barely used... I think the best use of the under-utilized characters was probably Moon Knight, that crazy bugger.

Luke cage and Iron Fist