Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation The Darkhold descends Marvel into Chaos (Spoilers)

The Darkhold Alpha #1 is out, and things look pretty dire in the Marvel Universe.

Chthon, one of the biggest baddies in Marvel history, is threatening the Marvel Universe. The Elder God that makes Knull look like Dennis the Menace. A being so powerful, Mephisto and Galactus would tuck tail and run. The one responsible for the Darkhold itself is threatening earth!

Our story starts with Dr. Doom and Scarlet Witch. Doom's minions are busy obtaining a the true Darkhold. Apparently, the previous
    Version of the Darkhoooldd is just a copy of a copy, and does not contain the power of the original Darkhd. Dark premonitions abound, yada yada and the Scarlet Witch appears on the scene.

I'm not sure where Dr. Strange is. Did Marvel kill him off already? If ever the Marvel Universe needed a Sorcerer Supreme, now would be the time. Don't get me wrong, Doom and Scarlet Witch are very capable. However, given their history together *cough* Avengers Dissasembled *cough* House of M *cough* Chaos Magic, I'd gladly welcome another magic-user to their discussion. Daimon Hellstrom or Doctor Voodoo or Doctor Strange or Wong or Magik, maybe even Adam Warlock might make good additions, but I digress. Those instances were several years ago (comic time, I think), Wanda has seemingly grown as a character, and she is familiar with the Darkhold and Chthon. Plus, she's super popular after Wandavision ;p. And Doom is ... well ... he's still Doom.

Skipping ahead, Doom doesn't need anyone. He's Doom. He'll handle things his way ... and get humbled, but somehow keep that steely-eyed pompous resolve that he has in spades.

Scarlet Witch, on the other hand, has another idea. She will form a team of Defenders based on a prior team that thwarted Chthon's schemes back in the day.

the Dreamer- Ironman
    the Huner- Blade
    the Artist- Wasp
    the Stoic- Black Bolt
    the Fool- Spider-Man (I guess Deadpool wasn't available )

I guess it seemed like a good idea until everything went sideways. Did anyone else get Evil Dead/Army of Darkness vibes? Don't read the book!

Thoughts? What do you expect from this mini-event?

Recent articles:
    Chthon returns in big Darkhold Alpha #1 preview
    https://www.gamesradar.com/darkhold-...r-doom-chthon/

Scarlet Witch Made Marvel's Greatest Heroes Scarier Than Marvel Zombies
    https://www.cbr.com/scarlet-witch-da...ransformation/

Spider-Man Just Transformed Into A Disgusting Spider Monster
    https://screenrant.com/spiderman-dar...marvel-comics/

Iron Man's New 'Defiled' Armor is His Most Disgusting Ever
    https://screenrant.com/iron-man-defi...rkhold-marvel/

Blade's Darkhold Transformation is Unleashed in Horrifying Cover Art
    https://screenrant.com/blade-darkhol...ant-cover-art/

The Darkhold #1 Review- 'The Darkhold Alpha' #1 sets the stage for a gnarly, self-contained crossover
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/27/th...lpha-1-review/

Marvel's Darkhold: Alpha Teases a Murderous Future For the Fantastic Four
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-fantastic...arkhold-alpha/

Look Inside 'The Darkhold Alpha' #1
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-preview-pages
    Last edited by Jabare; 10-09-2021 at 07:07 PM.
    The J-man

Marvel Revealed the Cosmic Power of the Scarlet Witch's Magic
    https://www.cbr.com/darkhold-alpha-s...-power-cosmic/

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't think Doom gave Victorious the full extent of the Power Cosmic...only a portion of what he's stored over the years. He used a lot of it to endow Terrax back in Byrne's run. So I'm sure he held back on that.

A true test would be Wanda vs the Silver Surfer.

I've liked the book so far. It has some inconsistencies. Like Blade knowing nothing about Chthon. And Spider-man still being surprised Wanda married Vision when he was a friend of both while they were married.

But overall the book is done well. It'll be interesting to see how they break defilers free of their madness and if everyone can defeat Chthon and send him back to his prison.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I made most of my comments in the Doom thread but I'll add it here...

I liked most of it. Cian Tormey's art was definitely a plus. I really liked the scenes with Victor and Wanda but Orlando goes along with what other writers have done with the conclusion to Children's Crusade. And that is to make Wanda take the polar opposite stance from how Heinberg wrote her reaction at the conclusion. First of all, I always thought that Heinberg did a write some good scenes with Victor and Wanda and their romance did have some credibility. Orlando does IMO give some validity that there was something there, or at least Victor still thinks so. I was glad to see that because I think that is more on track with CC that others writers have been.

But as we see in Darkhold, Wanda's not having any of it. Another thing she says is not tracking to what happened in CC and that is Doom stealing the Life Force from her during the ceremony with Wanda, Wiccan and Victor. Orlando isn't the only one who has gone with a different take in the years since but we see here that when Eli Bradley fires a shot at Doom during the conjuring, it throws all of them off. IMO Heinberg & artist Cheung are showing that this act by Eli causes the ceremony to go awry and instead of Wanda taking the Life Force again, Doom gets it instead. It's hard to say if there was a ricochet effect or he figured since Wanda was temporarily disabled he would have to take on the Life Force.

Afterwards, they are still on good terms but eventually the power does corrupt Doom and there is the big showdown at the end with all the heroes on the attack. Ultimately Doom loses the power and is allowed to leave the scene without anyone stopping him. Before he goes, he gives a little rant about him being behind everything all along. Some take this at face value but Wolverine for one does not and Wanda shows no anger nor do Tommy or Billy. Magneto goes so far as to lie and say Doom was to blame for M Day too to cover his tracks on his involvement. After all he was there when she was having her breakdown.

I guess this just the long way to complain (for the umpteenth time) that these changes to Heinberg's story have taken root and that ticks me off about Darkhhold. It's not that big a factor in the story but it just one of my pet peeves.

One thing that I did find disappointing is that we don't see Doom's confrontation with Cthon with any great detail. One panel he looks unphased when he reaches Other Realm. Then he returns with his armor nearly destroyed.

I don't know if I will be getting any of these tie ins to the story. I will definitely get Darkhold Omega and choose maybe one tie in . BTW, the concluding issue Darkhold Omega doesn't come out until December 22nd!

Another thing I liked is that Janet is part of the team that is assembled. Props to Orlando for putting her there since she has been mostly ignored. I suppose she could be in Aaron's Avengers but I stopped reading that a couple of years ago. Victorious is part of this story and maybe she will continue to help Wanda. I hope so. Unfortunately for Victorious Doom is still ticked off about her stupid indiscretion with Johnny, a remnant of Slott's plot induced stupidity inflicted on her.

Overall, this was a good setup issue. The art was very nice.

I'm looking forward to the one-shots. Wanda feels like the main protagonist for this event. I'm curious if Marvel will promote her to a Sorcerer Supreme type, seeing as Dr. Strange is "dead."

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I've liked the book so far. It has some inconsistencies. Like Blade knowing nothing about Chthon. And Spider-man still being surprised Wanda married Vision when he was a friend of both while they were married.

But overall the book is done well. It'll be interesting to see how they break defilers free of their madness and if everyone can defeat Chthon and send him back to his prison.
    I agree with this. Spider-Man's been around long enough. He was an Avenger for years, he knows better. Blade actually read the Darkhold before. not this version. Apparently this is the original version and what he read was a copy of a copy, but the point remains the man's aound 100 years old and he's been involved with magic and the occult for the majority of his life. Consideirng the Darkhold created the first vampire, his main prey, it's pretty hard to believe he's oblivous to Chton.
    The J-man

Incredible Member

It was a good start but I'm surprised it doesn't lean into horror more. Marvel needs to up their horror game. Back in the seventies, they produce a lot and made good money from it. Blade knows Cthon through the Midnight Suns crossovers and Darkold redeemer. He should know about him. Of course, that was from the 90s so I'm not surprised Marvel wants us to forget it.

The Spider-man thing I find weird because you would think Marvel would realize it makes Spider-man looks like a jerk (you married a robot when he's known vision personally) but apparently they don't care.

Darkhold Iron Man #1 Preview: The Immortal Iron Man?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dark...rtal-iron-man/
    The J-man

I have a few questions please. Thank you.

I thought Dr Strange at one time had possession of the Darkhold book? Does he not still have it?

The OP stated "a copy of a copy of the Darkhold". There are copies of it? Has this been made shown before?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

I thought Dr Strange at one time had possession of the Darkhold book? Does he not still have it?

The OP stated "a copy of a copy of the Darkhold". There are copies of it? Has this been made shown before?
    I was trying to track some of that down myself. From what I could determine, the history of the Darkhold was very inconsistent but what I gather is that only the original can drive one insane by reading it. But there have been copies made over the centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

That was my typo/misunderstanding. Thanks for catching it. So this book actually retcons the Darkhold a little bit. It states that this is the”true” first Darkhold, and the other version that has been featured in every other story is a copy of a copy. First there was a copy transcribed onto stone and then onto parchment. And that was the Darkhold we are all familiar with.

I’m not sure how I feel about it, but will see how this story plays out. This is not a superfluous retcon.

I’m guessing this Darkhold is much more potent than the original version and using it somehow gives Chthon a strong foothold into our realm.

(Apologies for the typos, sent this via my cellphone)
    The J-man

hmm... so is there going to be some kind of technology-based threat who want to scan it and convert it into digital form? An E-book of the apocalypse?

Uh oh...

Yeah get the Darkhold only on Kindle lol

Some Doombots were reading in the original and their heads were bursting into flames so who knows what the rules are

I feel this story might redefine the Darkhold in the Marvel Universe. Plus given what they are doing in the MCU it might be forever tied to Scarlet Witch if my predictions for this event prove to be accurate
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was trying to track some of that down myself. From what I could determine, the history of the Darkhold was very inconsistent but what I gather is that only the original can drive one insane by reading it. But there have been copies made over the centuries.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    That was my typo/misunderstanding. Thanks for catching it. So this book actually retcons the Darkhold a little bit. It states that this is the”true” first Darkhold, and the other version that has been featured in every other story is a copy of a copy. First there was a copy transcribed onto stone and then onto parchment. And that was the Darkhold we are all familiar with.

I’m not sure how I feel about it, but will see how this story plays out. This is not a superfluous retcon.

I’m guessing this Darkhold is much more potent than the original version and using it somehow gives Chthon a strong foothold into our realm.

(Apologies for the typos, sent this via my cellphone)
    No problem with the typo. Thank you for the info.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hmm... so is there going to be some kind of technology-based threat who want to scan it and convert it into digital form? An E-book of the apocalypse?

Uh oh...
    Funny enough, that reminds me of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's first season where a demon trapped in an ancient tome that was scanned into a computer database broke into the Internet, and when the main cast discovered this about midway through said episode, they speculated on all the ways a demonic presence inside cyberspace could threaten the world and humanity --- topping the list was accessing the US military's nuclear weapons launch codes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.