Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    I wish there had been a turning back away from Perez to Marston, to update his Amazons -- the technologically advanced Amazons to whom gods never spoke, save only for the miracle of Diana's birth. Staying mired in Perez's world is unfortunate, but compared to what Azzarello wrought I'll take it.
    I miss the Amazons who ride Kangas with futuristic science/tech as well, but I didn't expect it. It was a weird juxtaposition back then and people take comics a little too seriously nowadays. Realistic trumps fantasy in most readers I know. We'll have to hope for a Earth One book every two years.

That said I hope DC is paying the artist top rate so they want to stick around and not flee back to creator owned work.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She has though, on Teen Titans and Gail Simone's Wonder Womn.
    She also did a stint on Simone's Secret Six and Birds of Prey and she was the artist for the first year or so of Earth 2.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    don't exagerate, It's not like rucka didn't wrote this comics years before legend of wonder woman, that have a different setup from this one

I agree with this. To me he's just writing the Wonder Woman he envisions without worrying about other interpretations. I think his list of demands to come back were probably mostly things he had long thought he would have done differently and now he gets too.

I kinda set my Amazon standard by how they react to Steve Trevor landing on their island so, yes! They didn't beat him up! Yeah, sure, he's half dying but at least they weren't like 'leave him, Diana! I smell the stench of unholiness upon his wretched hide!'

I got the sense that the Amazons were a varied bunch, sure not quite the hard partying 'science fiction lesbians' of Morrison but for me it was that Diana preferred to hang out with the sky gazers - the dreamers - or the scientists. I dunno. The book looked really beautiful in places. I was a bit disappointed by how lo-tech the environment looked though.

I was intrigued by the vague Judeo-Christian symbolism (okay it wasn't that vague) of the tree and the snake. But the tree is dead - unlike the life of the rest of the island - with the mysterious entrance that attacks the exploring hand. No fruit of knowledge here. Or is there?

The Trevor/Diana story seemed to speak to each other. Both characters practising shooting things. Both characters happy and then looking somewhat wistful.

So what might it mean that Diana lay poisoned whilst Trevor discovered he was a godfather? Perhaps nothing.

I liked that the gods seemed unknown and absent.

Bring on the Purple Ray!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    One Amazon does mention being slain by a man, so there is a suggestion of reincarnation.
    I must have glossed over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If you are asking a question on the clay vs Olympian heritage, Rucka clearly skirts around the issue. Though the Amazons have a post-Crisis aesthetic to them if you were a fine of the New 52 status quo this issue is compatible with it.
    I would say that unles directly stated otherwise, she gets her most recent origin.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Well, let's be clear - it is not confirmed Diana is bi, that was surmising on the part of the Amazon with a crush on her. I think it is pretty clear Rucka wanted to leave that impression, but with a classic character like WW I think that is as far as they are allowed to go.

As for the issue, while I respect what Azzarello did, IMHO that run was better suited as an Elseworlds book. To me this is classic WW and what her story should be. Great all around and wow Nicola Scott
    I'm thoroughly enjoying the book so far. As for the question of her sexuality, I think it's a little more than just wishful thinking on the part of the speaker. At the very least I'd call it an acknowledgement that Diana and Kasia present as a couple in a society where same-sex physical and romantic relationships are the norm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    She also did a stint on Simone's Secret Six and Birds of Prey and she was the artist for the first year or so of Earth 2.
    I wouldn't count those among DC's top-of-the-line-- like Batman, Superman, Justice League...not many women have done one of those

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Ok, the mud-huts comment was a bit of an exaggeration but Azz's Amazons had very little skill when it came to architecture and no modern technology. Smelly, old bum Ares was laughable at best. Diana needs a grande force to do battle with. Not a tired, cynical quitter.
    Ares is now one of the Amazons two patron deities. I think he and Diana might get along just fine. Rucka, much like in his first run, doesn't seem to go for über-evil supervillain Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I must have glossed over that.
    To be specific, the wording is actually not quite so clear. She doesn't say she was slain, she says 'my life as a woman slain at the hands of the man...'

It doesn't say she was killed and reincarnated. Much depends upon the character's definition of 'life as a woman.' Yes, maybe she was killed or maybe she can no longer bear children (if that's how she defines 'life as a woman.') I found that wording very intriguing.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Harmonia and Ares as the Amazons two patron deities makes a lot of sense. Especially if Azzarello's Ares is still canon.

They remember their lives from before Themyscira. Nothing is said about any reincarnating.
    I think Kasia was recounting a social reality where a woman could be killed for refusing a man's advances. It's akin to what happens to women today in parts of the world where they're considered second class citizens. I've read of women having acid thrown in their faces for refusing a guy.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

I purchased several Rebirth titles and so far, Batman and Wonder Woman are the only ones I intend to keep following (Jury[s still out on Titans). I am particularlly impressed by the tale they are telling with the Amazon. A concern, however:
    It's clear that, with two books per month, they will tell two tales. However, isn't the quest for the memories/truth a bit... spoiled or underwhelmed by this Year One tale? I mean, as "The Lies" go on, Wonder Woman will discover much of we already know, removing some of the impact. I am enjoying both of stories, just not sure if they should be together.

Ares is now one of the Amazons two patron deities. I think he and Diana might get along just fine. Rucka, much like in his first run, doesn't seem to go for über-evil supervillain Ares.
    I should also point out that nothing says the Amazons are the literal born children of Ares and Harmonia. Castalia refers the Amazons as a whole as the 'daughters of Ares and Harmonia.' That could just as easily be a reference to their faith, just as people of other religions refer to themselves as the 'children of...' It could be a spiritual bond and not a physical one.

Pleasantly surprised how much I liked the second installment.
    Rucka mixed mythology with religion and leaves me rather intrigued, especially the Christian tree and snake symbols were surprising. Do they represent a foreboding of mens' arrival on Amazon island?
    I loved the sexual attraction in the bathing panel, as it came across as casual, natural and not some forced wet-male fantasy. For an American mainstream comic I found it certainly progressive.

Art is great, fits the story nicely, though some panels need a closer shot on characters, but this way the setting dominates, so it might have been intended.

I'm still in for the ride.

I haven't seen the book yet, but I think the cover of issue number one had both Zeus and Ares present. Much couldn't be told of Ares appearance as he was in full Greek armor, but Zeus as I recall was pretty apparent in terms of a humanoid visual.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If Ares is indeed the father of the Amazons, the Zeus thing might be out...
    I hope not. That would be a step backwards, ..making Diana a thing or an 'avatar of Truth' or some silly rubbish, like that. It would be something of a deal-breaker for many of us, ..and with no sign of brother Jason, before 2017...well? Not much here that seems progressive or particularly imaginative, even. Just more of the same, really...

The return of Whiny Woman, methinks.

The Golden Age Wonder Woman never questioned, "Do I have a soul? Am I a person?", because she was too busy kicking Nazi-ass to be so introspective, ..and because the fans, to their credit, didn't care. Today, the writers can't wait to bore us with that whiny drivel..."Am I real? Am I a per-rrrsonn? Boo-uuu'hoo! I want my bottle!" The Golden Age Wonder Woman was all-woman, totally on the job and the best she's ever been. We got a little bit of that back, with Azzarello removing the narrative elements that his predecessors couldn't resist abusing - one of them, the golem business, which was so nice, having out of the way...

For awhile.

All good things must come to an end, and I suppose that looking forward to reading Wonder Woman should be no different. Aquaman seems hopelessly fumbled, by a cancerous growth that followed him into the movies, ..named 'Mera'. Hawkman seems ruined, and his stand-in, Zauriel, will never be the cosmic hero - the Silver Surfer of the DCU - that he could be or might have been. No one seems interested in doing much with Doctor Fate ..and never has, really. All of my favorite DC superheroes are a horrible mess...

Probably time for a long overdue, extended vacation.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-13-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!