Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Action Comics #41 discussion

Hot damn, I had a good time with this!

It's a set up issue, and I'm sure you all can imagine why. But this book still manages to drop enough at you that it hooks you! Or at least it hooked me.

There are a few things in this comic that really really got me!

-The bromance and partnership of Clark and Jim! Man I gotta say it's cool how they did a sort of updated born from necessity version of Jimmy's signal to Superman. It's a blink and you miss it sort of feel.

-Superman with those people and kids brought a genuine smile to my face when I say it. It had that big brother of the neighborhood feel that the golden age Superman had, but this was updated. Kuder's sly little bit of personality for Jim in that moment was pretty funny I thing!

-Miss Lee Lambert. She's looking to be another strong female character in the Superman world. Love her blue collar feel. That part were her and Clark shake hands is this really nice blue collar image. I can't wait for her stance on Superman to be expounded on later.

-I loved when he jumped into action. The visual and just the idea of it looked amazing.

-I love the new life and personality metropolis now has.

Nothing needs to be said about Kuder's art other than he just wont stop being amazing. It's uncontrollable at this point. The warm little moments (Jim and Clark's hug, the kids) and the big action moment (jumping into action) were all done so perfectly.

In team Pak we trust!

Astonishing Member

I'll simply cut and copy what I already said elsewhere.

This is basically the very first time I have seen Pak and Kuder kick their run into higher gear.
    Thank God for DC's "creative wave". Let's hope that it lasts as long as possible. In terms of characterization, it's one of the best Superman single issues I have ever read, even better than most of Morrison's run.
    It's even more than good. It's coherent. Everything and everyone, from Jimmy to Binghamton, absolutely makes sense.
    I will wait for GLY, but I think that DC is creating something really great here. Let's hope that they have the guts to go all the way with this.
    What a story. Almost no supervillains, no sci-fi "bigger than life" moments, but great development for all the characters involved.
    And everything clicks right, the blue-collar hero, the anti-establishment thing, real heroism for once in a while.. everything is absolutely coeherent. They could use this as THE basis for a rebuilding of Superman. And - I know that one day they will probably get back to the status quo - but man, I could read about outed Superman forever. Without the burden of a secret identity which is kept mainly out of tradition, as a character he's incredibly refreshing.
    Every single fan who said that without the secret identity thing Superman is less human was (predictably) wrong. This character, who is basically a combination of Supes and Clark, is the most human Superman I've ever seen.
    I think that when (if) they will decide to go back to the glasses, they must be really careful in justifying it.
    I mean, if futher developments of the story will imply that someone close to Clark will die because of the exposed identity, and he will say "Oh noes! Someones died because of me! Let's call Mephisto/Mxyzptlk and go back in time" it will be incredibly lazy and predictable.
    After my first reading, I think that I could go on with KentVille surviving the storyline: nobody knows about the identity anymore, except for Clark's neighbours, who decide to keep the secret because they like him. Yes, it's not very believable.
    But it would be a stretch of faith. Personally speaking, I am perfectly fine with keeping the exposed identity forever.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Lee Lambert seems to be the next big female character in Superman's life, very excited to read more about her.

Always Rakzo

As I said in other thread:

Forgot to mention that aside from everything I stated in other places, this pretty much confirms that Pak succeeded in basically everything that Morrison tried to do and was sadly underwhelming at it.

Trying to re-integrate the Golden Age Superman as a champion of the people? Check!

Making both his alien and human natures co-exist at the same time? Check!

Making Clark interact with the people themselves to actually show how he relates to them? Check!

Using a less-powerful Superman than usual to tell interesting stories? Check!

Seriously, we're finally having the Superman that we were promised at the beginning of the New 52 and it's glorious.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Yeah, I talked about it on the preview thread, but long story short, it was f.cking awesome.
    To me, it feels like one giant refutation of pretty much everything the detractors of the idea that Clark Kent would be exposed were fearing.
    -Superman being less human? Nope. If anything, he's more human than ever?
    -Superman being isolated from mankind? Again, nope. Not only does his friendship with Jimmy feels more real than it has in years with just one hug, but his interaction with "Kentville"" and Lee Lamberts show that he's still close to the people, perhaps even more so now.
    -Superman being bitter and angry? Another nope for ya. He's pretty much who he has always been: nice, humble, willing to help and ready to jump into action.
    It was fun, it was intriguing, it was emotional. It was great.
    Love the "updated" "Superman Signal". It so simple it almost feels stupid, but it makes so much sense at the same time. Plus, it implies a bigger role for Jimmy, maybe not as a sidekick, but as an ally that keeps an eye out for situation where Superman is needed.
    Like Lee Lamberts already. Hell, I love all of Kentville already.
    Kuder's art was at its finest. The guy has such a talent for composition. I gotta say that I'm really digging the new look now. Even the bike, which I feared at first might be too much, is cool (love the red trail when he drives it as if he still had the cape).
    I am so hyped for what's next. This issue is proof that, if you get the heart of a character right,you can do whatever you want with him and make it work.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

@Myskin

I've been a Clark Kent disguise supporter since forever, and that really hasn't changed. But I've long since made my up my mind that those trapping are part of my personal ideal Superman, however I've been shown by Pak that it doesn't have to be my idea Superman in order for me to love it with all my heart.

Pak and Kuder's character work and set up is some of the best I've seen. This really does feel like the second shot in the arm that Superman has needed since the new 52. This seems like the perfect rebuilding point to take the character in a new and bold direction. Honestly I'm like you and I hope DC has the stones to follow up this magnificent set up.

To quote our lord Doctor Doom, "we can build here" (well sorta quote him )

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Love the "updated" "Superman Signal". It so simple it almost feels stupid, but it makes so much sense at the same time. Plus, it implies a bigger role for Jimmy, maybe not as a sidekick, but as an ally that keeps an eye out for situation where Superman is needed.
    Jim might update his role as the person who Superman is always rescuing from situations, to the guy who goes in to get the pictures and signals Superman to fix things. He's Superman's eyes and ears. I hope Pak keeps cranking this up and we come out with a new and improved Jimmy!

Like Lee Lamberts already. Hell, I love all of Kentville already.
    Goodness what can I even say about Kentville other than thank you Pak and Kuder! A little microcosm of Superman's influence, and it's given a real personal flare. I love it so much!

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Jim might update his role as the person who Superman is always rescuing from situations, to the guy who goes in to get the pictures and signals Superman to fix things. He's Superman's eyes and ears. I hope Pak keeps cranking this up and we come out with a new and improved Jimmy!

Goodness what can I even say about Kentville other than thank you Pak and Kuder! A little microcosm of Superman's influence, and it's given a real personal flare. I love it so much!
    -That'd be pretty cool. It would make Jimmy a more important part of Superman's cast, part sidekick , part informant. But hey, if it's just there to show their friendhsip, I'm fine with it.

-Yep. As I said in the Lee Lamberts thread, the simple acknowledgement that Metropolis was a pretty cr.ppy place and that Superman improved it makes me so happy.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    -Yep. As I said in the Lee Lamberts thread, the simple acknowledgement that Metropolis was a pretty cr.ppy place and that Superman improved it makes me so happy.
    It's a shame it was based on one story told in one issue by one writer almost four years ago. This version of Superman hasn't been written as a hero of the people who cared about the ordinary problems of average citizens for years now. I can't think of many New 52 stories that focused on how Superman's or Clark's interventions made the city a better place. Can you?

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

The best part, at least for me, is that Clark looks and seems to feel more comfortable with his neighbors than he's done in the last years of Justice League. A true champion of and for the people. And that hug. Jimmy and Clark acting on that brotherly love left me with a big smile and a warm heart. Every time Pakuder team seem to have reached their tipping point they go and hit another out of the park. I truly hope they stay in Action for the coming years and hopefully people picks this one up. It's everything a Superman fan could wish, red trunks notwithstanding.
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    It's a shame it was based on one story told in one issue by one writer almost four years ago. This version of Superman hasn't been written as a hero of the people who cared about the ordinary problems of average citizens for years now. I can't think of many New 52 stories that focused on how Superman's or Clark's interventions made the city a better place. Can you?
    Well it seems very clear that Superman's "man of the people" status will be a big part of this story going forward, so that's great, right?

Anyone else feel like the splash page of Superman decking that shadow monster was a less the obvious homage to this

Or maybe I'm reaching bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well it seems very clear that Superman's "man of the people" status will be a big part of this story going forward, so that's great, right?
    Yes and no. I always like to see him with the people, but it shouldn't have to take him being depowered or exposed to do it. Superman, in full costume and with a secret identity, should be able to fight for and interact with the people by choice and not because he's been forced to do it. Plus, the person Morrison gave half the credit for helping the people was Clark Kent via his journalism at The Daily Star. In this issue, we find out that Clark was fired. However, that is of little consequence since the Superman books have done so little with his journalism. Geoff Johns just got him back there only for him to be booted out. Before that, in Perez's first issue, it was 5 years after Morrison's Superman had helped the people of the city, and in that issue Clark opts to drop a story about evictions in favor of writing a story about Superman. In Lobdell's first issue, Morgan Edge yells at Clark for having research about housing on his computer, and Clark quits the Planet. Yet, when given free reign at his own blog, he does zero work and doesn't go back to supporting the people with his articles. Sorry, then, that I'm less than enthused to see Superman get praised for doing something he should have been doing all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Eh, I think that's mostly a coincidence.
    Lol yeah I must've just been looking for it