Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Invaders (2019)

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Just noticed this in the Cap and the Invaders preview ... first two panels ... especially the second panel on the left.

It's Carl Burgos and Bill Everett, creators of the Torch and Namor!

I saw someone elsewhere mentioning they thought Jack Kirby had a cameo, and perhaps that was supposed to be JJ Jameson with the camera ... but I was thrilled to see this! Thanks, Roy!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Coooool!!!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

A fun old school read, both the text and the art. As to be expected from the title, today's issue was mostly about Cap, though Jim Hammond got a good amount of screen time also. Namor fans probably will be disappointed, but Ordway's portrayal of the sea prince makes up for it a bit. Calling it an Invaders tale, however, is a stretch, as this takes before the group forms and spoilers:
    I don't think the Timely Trio (in costume) even meet up in here. It was cool to see Hammond and Rogers interact, even if Torch and Cap didn't.
    end of spoilers

It was nice to see a story where everyone was given a chance to shine according to their powers. Thank you, Roy Thomas!

Besides the above cameos, I also enjoyed the Betty Dean panel / role.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

It was a fun read, though you're absolutely right, that was an 'Invaders' book by the flimsiest of definitions. Still, I'd buy a Thomas/Ordway offering around the 4th of July every year, if Marvel was so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    It was a fun read, though you're absolutely right, that was an 'Invaders' book by the flimsiest of definitions. Still, I'd buy a Thomas/Ordway offering around the 4th of July every year, if Marvel was so inclined.
    Me too!

I'm curious to see where this lands on the sales chart. Don't know about Ordway, but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get Roy Thomas to do a mini-series or two.

Preview for next week's Invaders is out. Doesn't really fit with the Avengers hot tub Tony and Steve.

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-invaders-7/

Marvel's top 5, easily.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Preview for next week's Invaders is out. Doesn't really fit with the Avengers hot tub Tony and Steve.

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-invaders-7/
    Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking forward to this issue with Tony being in it. Also I really really want to see where Namor goes from here.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Me too!

I'm curious to see where this lands on the sales chart. Don't know about Ordway, but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get Roy Thomas to do a mini-series or two.
    I enjoyed it immensely, but it also benefitted from being a one-shot so that Roy Thomas didn't get too carried away with esoteric connections / references.

I would have loved getting the Ordway cover, but they only had the Ron Lim variant when I finally got to the comic book store this past Sunday to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I enjoyed it immensely, but it also benefitted from being a one-shot so that Roy Thomas didn't get too carried away with esoteric connections / references.

I would have loved getting the Ordway cover, but they only had the Ron Lim variant when I finally got to the comic book store this past Sunday to buy it.
    I loved it, too. Can't go wrong with Roy Thomas. God I'd wish he'd come back for more than just a one-shot.

Today's issue of Zdarsky's Invaders was... interesting. Some thoughts:

So "Machan/Tommy" is both a part of Namor, as he stated outright, AND acting independently from Namor's conscience. In essence, Xavier gave Namor DID (dissociative identity disorder) effectively creating a second personality within him, one who can act without Namor's main personality remembering. I'm wondering how far back this extends? Like, for example, who blew up the planet in Time Runs Out, Namor or Manchan?

Great to see Toro but his entry was kind of... weird. Why would Toro, whom, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a single conversation with Tony Stark, assume that Tony was the one that dragged Jim out of retirement? I mean, if Jim was pulled out of retirement to engage in Avengers business, the first "culprit" should be assumed to be Steve, who is Jim's friend and, as we saw in the first issue of this run, keeps in contact with Jim. I mean, I LOVED seeing Toro, finally, don't get me wrong. It's just a weird execution there. The irony in all this was that it was Jim who recruited Steve to look into what Namor was up to, so didn't Jim discuss ANY of concerns, the ones he expressed in the first issue, with Toro the way he did Steve? And Toro and Bucky are BFFs, so why in the world would Bucky not mention any of what was going on to Toro? You'd think the Invaders would have a group text thing going on. "Hey, one of us is going off the deep end, time for an intervention, who's in?".

Steve blames himself for not being strong or smart enough to stop Namor. Of course he does. Takes the world on his shoulders, that one. Poor guy.

And speaking of Steve, the last page of this newest issue, the ones not written by Zdarsky but rather Clay Chapman, looks like Machan/Namor is now targeting Steve specifically.

Invaders7.jpg

Why? Steve really isn't a threat to Namor, power-wise, like at all, I mean, I love Steve with all my heart, but Namor could wipe the floor of him easily, and seeing how the Avengers are currently pissed at him, it's not like Steve has any pull/clout there currently, either. Unless he *is* a threat. Perhaps Steve is the key to unraveling everything somehow?

Either way, it looks like the Avengers book and the Invaders book are now firmly coming together since this issue specifically brought in the Russians. So the question of the hour: "Machan" changing Russians into Atlanteans will further piss of the Winter Guard. Simmering tensions between them, Atlantis, the Avengers and the Squadron Supreme all the more. All of which, as we know now, has been caused by Mephisto, who has been pulling the strings to set up these conflicts since the beginning of them. So is "Machan" and what he is doing a result of what Xavier did, or Mephisto? Inquiring minds want to know.

Avengers21.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post

So "Machan/Tommy" is both a part of Namor, as he stated outright, AND acting independently from Namor's conscience. In essence, Xavier gave Namor DID (dissociative identity disorder) effectively creating a second personality within him, one who can act without Namor's main personality remembering. I'm wondering how far back this extends? Like, for example, who blew up the planet in Time Runs Out, Namor or Manchan?

Great to see Toro but his entry was kind of... weird. Why would Toro, whom, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a single conversation with Tony Stark, assume that Tony was the one that dragged Jim out of retirement? I mean, if Jim was pulled out of retirement to engage in Avengers business, the first "culprit" should be assumed to be Steve, who is Jim's friend and, as we saw in the first issue of this run, keeps in contact with Jim. I mean, I LOVED seeing Toro, finally, don't get me wrong. It's just a weird execution there. The irony in all this was that it was Jim who recruited Steve to look into what Namor was up to, so didn't Jim discuss ANY of concerns, the ones he expressed in the first issue, with Toro the way he did Steve? And Toro and Bucky are BFFs, so why in the world would Bucky not mention any of what was going on to Toro? You'd think the Invaders would have a group text thing going on. "Hey, one of us is going off the deep end, time for an intervention, who's in?".

Steve blames himself for not being strong or smart enough to stop Namor. Of course he does. Takes the world on his shoulders, that one. Poor guy.

And speaking of Steve, the last page of this newest issue, the ones not written by Zdarsky but rather Clay Chapman, looks like Machan/Namor is now targeting Steve specifically.

Invaders7.jpg

Why? Steve really isn't a threat to Namor, power-wise, like at all, I mean, I love Steve with all my heart, but Namor could wipe the floor of him easily, and seeing how the Avengers are currently pissed at him, it's not like Steve has any pull/clout there currently, either. Unless he *is* a threat. Perhaps Steve is the key to unraveling everything somehow?

Either way, it looks like the Avengers book and the Invaders book are now firmly coming together since this issue specifically brought in the Russians. So the question of the hour: "Machan" changing Russians into Atlanteans will further piss of the Winter Guard. Simmering tensions between them, Atlantis, the Avengers and the Squadron Supreme all the more. All of which, as we know now, has been caused by Mephisto, who has been pulling the strings to set up these conflicts since the beginning of them. So is "Machan" and what he is doing a result of what Xavier did, or Mephisto? Inquiring minds want to know.

Avengers21.jpg
    Yup. The two are tied. Zdarsky confirmed it for me on Twitter.

Avengers21-2.jpg

Invaders7.jpg

Avengers21.jpg
    So Tony really wasn't in today's issue? Just on the cover?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Invaders7.jpg

Avengers21.jpg
    That final page was more related to the upcoming event of Absolute Carnage, and it's not related to the main story itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    So Tony really wasn't in today's issue? Just on the cover?
    No, Tony is in the book, as shown in the preview. Warning, he's portrayed as somewhat ... well, I didn't find him ... sympathetic at all.