Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Evangelion You Are (Not) Alone 1 and 2 are now on Toonami.
    Hello, again, Shinji.
    My opinions of said films
    1.0 is mostly just moderately good nothing spectacular.
    expectable sense it was a adaption of the earliest and most standard mecha style anime episodes of the entire series.
    however...
    the last angel of 1.0 and all of operation Yashima takes the most boring battle of the entire original series and makes it one of the most epic military style battles I have ever seen period.
    2.0.... heh is a MASSIVE step up... it is possibly my absolute 3rd favorite movie at the current time and I have seen A LOT of movies and have a lot of favorites.
    now I think EOE Is a superior film on a artistic and film making level but I enjoy 2.0 more.
    Gives rei character development she did not get in the original series, some bonding between shinji and Kaji That We Got In The Manga, some of the most fun and light hearted character interactions of the entire franchise. Touching stuff at the aquarium.
    And IMO 2.0 has the absolute best ending to any movie I have ever seen. From when Mari picks shinji out of the bunker (hell maybe from when she activates beast mode unit 2) to the end credits scene. So poeticly beautiful heartfelt and tragic .
    3.0 I thinks is just just below 2.0 almost equals, has a few more issues than 2.0 but the good in it is so good it FAR out ways the flaws.

Also if you or anyone else cares here is a poster tribute I did for 1.0
    http://community.comicbookresources....on-1-0-Tribute
    Last edited by evangelionofasgard; 12-28-2014 at 12:00 AM.

BANNED

the anime im planing on watching in 2015...
    finish Blue Gender preferably in the next 2 weeks
    marathon Cowboy Bebop for my first time viewing, preferably before the 20th
    Yukikaze
    Zipang
    Arc the Lad
    Wild Arms
    Attack on Titan
    Gunbuster & Diebuster
    various miyazaki films, i have not seen any of them yet
    Rahxephon
    the various appleseed movies
    area 88
    Escaflowne
    knights of sidonia
    blood+ & bloodC
    all the other Ghost in the shell material that has come after the original movie.
    few others, knowing my luck and procrastination level i won't even get thru half of them lol.

anyone have any non spoiler thoughts on these series & movies?

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    Yukikaze
    Zipang
    Arc the Lad
    Wild Arms
    Attack on Titan
    Gunbuster & Diebuster
    Rahxephon
    area 88
    Escaflowne
    knights of sidonia
    blood+ & bloodC
    all the other Ghost in the shell material that has come after the original movie.
    few others, knowing my luck and procrastination level i won't even get thru half of them lol.

It's been a long time since I've watched an anime in general, but if you don't mind I'll try to give some general feedback.

Blue Gender - It's been over a decade since I've watched this series. I remember it having a bleak and dark tone to it throughout. Not to say there isn't a bit of hope found in the two main protagonists.

Cowboy Bebop - A classic. Great soundtrack and amazing story. Plenty of character development throughout the series. Sci-Fi, Noir and the Blues molded into one. After watching the ending try googling the creators thoughts on how he interprets it. Don't forgot the movie, which is set, time-line wise, within the series.

Escaflowne TV Series & The Movie - The series and the movie are pretty different. They share some of the same cast and general plot, but that's about it. I love the presentation of the movie, but enjoy the tv series storyline more. Giant mechas, countries at war, a girl from another planet and a cursed clan. Every time I've seen it, I couldn't help, but keep watching till the end. Something about it just draws me in. I won't say anything about the ending of either.

RahXephon & The Movie - Was there a movie? I think there was lol. I don't remember much about it. I believe the series and movie differ in certain parts. I really can't remember much of either. I will say that I remember enjoying the ending to the series so I feel like my time watching it did pay off.

Blood+/Blood C - I saw the majority of Blood+. It was a solid series. I wouldn't call it great. It had a proper ending and if the first few episodes appeal to you then I'd say it's worth watching it. Blood C is a totally separate series that has nothing to do with Blood+. I have never seen it, but I know it's a different story told in what you could consider an alternate universe. Other than the main character having the same name, I would think it's separate. The only other content related to the Blood universe is Blood: The Last Vampire. Again, it's technically standalone and can be watched as that. It has much more in common with Blood+ than Blood C.

Ghost In The Shell - Where to start. GREAT soundtracks, amazing characters, great character development, amazing story/plots. I have the manga it's all based on, but have not read it. Here's my general feedback on each piece of content.

GITS Movie 1 & 2 (Watch these together)
    GITS Movie 1 - Based on the original manga content.
    GITS Movie 2 - A sequel to the first, but follows it's own storyline. It doesn't follow the original manga at this point. I'm not sure if it borrows from it or not.

GITS: Stand Alone Complex, Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig, Solid State Society (Movie) (Watch these together)
    The first season, along with the second season and it's follow up movie, Solid State Society, are an adaptation of the manga, but follows it owns storyline. It's a great series. The first season, SAC, tells the Laughing Man storyline. The second season, SAC: 2nd gig, is a direct sequel and has a very heavy plot that I'd even have trouble delving into. The movie, Solid State Society, borrows from the original manga and GITS Movie 1 in regard to The Puppeteer character and this pretty much ends the SAC storyline. It would be great if new content was released. One can wish.

GITS: Arise
    GITS: Arise - I haven't seen this yet, but from what I read, it's a sort of adaptation of the original manga. I believe it also goes farther back in the timeline than the manga in regard to telling backstory.

Miyazaki Films - Where to start.... I would consider them more as Ghibli films. Miyazaki only had a direct hand in making some of the movies throughout the years. Look up directors of each movie as you watch them. I would consider most of the movies to be great. Two of the most popular are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I'm sure you'll have your own favorites. Not sure what else to add here. If you have any specific questions in regard to the films just ask.
    Last edited by danmar85; 01-01-2015 at 12:57 AM.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

UQ Holder

So even though characters are powering up a bit faster than the start of Negima, our cast is still pretty far below the level the Negima fighters had near the end. Mana still kicks ass as expected.

Acting head master though! Upcoming Mahora tournament? Nostalgia phasers set to wide dispersal settings.

Biggest tidbit though is who the current head master is, which is an 'old friend' of Mana's that she's helping out. Strong implications that it's another Negima Alum. So the question then is who. It would be kind of weird for it to be Eva, just end up being yet another thing it turns out she's the head of. Other characters that could live that long...makes me think Zazie?

It could actually be Ayaka right? If this is the timeline where Asuna is still sleeping, they said that Asuna just barely missed being able to see Ayaka IIRC, so Ayaka lived to be pretty old.

Extraordinary Member

So from Negima we now have Evangeline, Fate, Mana (still think that dimishes the powerful opening with Evangeline being all alone due to her immortality a bit) and probably one more class 3A student as the teacher.

That's great and fun and terrific.

I want Setsuna and Konoka's child to show up and be awesome and confirm that they got together in the end and had a baby through magical means that don't involve gender bending.

Cool fight scene. I wonder how big the Mahora tournament has gotten since it's now held at the top of the tower, or at least the finale I guess.

Extraordinary Member

New OP and ED for the Nanatsu no Taizai anime. In the OP we see scenes from the infiltration arc and in the ED we get glimpses of Vivian and Arthur. How far into the series are they actually planning on going here I wonder.

And the pacing is still kinda off. But the anime still enjoyable.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Do any of you guys know about the manga Boku no Hero Academia?

I think its funny sometimes to see other cultures takes on American superhero comics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...the last angel of 1.0 and all of operation Yashima takes the most boring battle of the entire original series and makes it one of the most epic military style battles I have ever seen period.
    No one ever talks about that part and it's one of my favorite scenes in anime.
    Yukikaze
    Zipang
    Arc the Lad
    Wild Arms
    Attack on Titan
    Gunbuster & Diebuster
    Rahxephon
    area 88
    Escaflowne
    knights of sidonia
    blood+ & bloodC

After you watch Cowboy Bebop I hope that you check out Samurai Champloo. It's from the same guy who directed it and it's such an entertaining show.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

UQ Holder:

Man, I got all nerdgasm seeing Ku Fei and Yue fighting in the old tournament footage. Seems like they won one of them, or at least the 2 on 2 segment.

Loli Eva in uniform: even more nostalgia.

Didn't expect Fate to be back so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    UQ Holder:

Man, I got all nerdgasm seeing Ku Fei and Yue fighting in the old tournament footage. Seems like they won one of them, or at least the 2 on 2 segment.

Loli Eva in uniform: even more nostalgia.

Didn't expect Fate to be back so soon.
    April feels like forever for me
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

BLUE GENDER #18-26 - Finished Series
    spoilers:
    - the 3rd to last episode was kinda annoying me, i get wanting to understand, i get wanting to have purpose, i get questioning how humanity could live on the space station with limited supplies, but Seno Miyagi was a genuinely good man who never at any point in the series did anything wrong or anything to suggest a tyrant complex, yuji's accusations that he was just trying to get rid of people who don't agree with him when he just saved his life by killing a man who fully intended to kill them both was epic bullshit
    - the long awaited love scene between yuji and marlene was well done, both animation wise and emotionally with flashing images of other emotional moments in there lives, over the imagery of them in passion, the sequence had if i recall correctly no nudity and while emotionally powerful felt too... restrained, it wasn't very sensual.
    - i did not expect a happy ending on any level whatsoever, i expected a dead space ending
    - the last 2 episodes where probably the best of the series
    - final battle against the final guardian blue was the best battle scene of the series easily, both for the fast pasted movement and animation & the best blue design of the series
    - the tone was shifting and unclear which was probably intentional, but kinda jarring
    - 2nd earth's citizens imploding and overrunning the faciility until they destroyed themselves seemed... unnecessary, they where good people, and thats not even counting the many thousands of people still in stasis, they could have just had them return to earth afther yuji makes his discovery, and more importantly they should have had it happen earlier not in the supposedly happy montage of marlene being reunited with yuji.
    - marlene's face when she goes to hug him in tears is amazing, the animation is overflowing with pure joy
    - overall... the series was a disappointment not bad but disappointing, it was just too damn slow.
    - not sure if i will watch blue gender the warrior condensed movie which has a alternate ending, it will be a while if i do.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    No one ever talks about that part and it's one of my favorite scenes in anime.

After you watch Cowboy Bebop I hope that you check out Samurai Champloo. It's from the same guy who directed it and it's such an entertaining show.
    I Will put it on the list. Is is more comedic or more serious?
    Not sure what I'm going to try next. Won't be able to do bebop before the 20th like I wanted gonna save it for when I can marathon it in 2 days like i did with NGE.
    Last edited by evangelionofasgard; 01-14-2015 at 05:52 AM.

I Will put it on the list. Is is more comedic or more serious?
    Not sure what I'm going to try next. Won't be able to do bebop before the 20th like I wanted gonna save it for when I can marathon it in 2 days like i did with NGE.
    Comedy with some pretty cool action but the second half of the season it starts to get serious.
    Lately I've been watching quite a few series that have a heavy tone so personally it's always nice to balance it out with fun well animated shows.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Extraordinary Member

UQ Holder:

Hmm. I'm all for nostalgia and those fight scenes do look really nice. But I think that Akamatsu really needs to be careful with the whole nostalgia thing.

In this arc we've got the return of Mana and the Mahora tournament coming up. A mysterious person is signing up as Negi much like Negi signed up as Nagi while in the magic world. And now Fate has appeared again.

I'm just worried that the series will start relying too much on winking to and bringing back things from Negima rather than standing on its own legs. As I say this I am growing increasingly more antsy for a Setsuna/Konoka reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Do any of you guys know about the manga Boku no Hero Academia?

I think its funny sometimes to see other cultures takes on American superhero comics.
    I read it and I think that it's freaking great.

There's a sense of sincerity in it that a lot of modern super hero comics just lack.

Just one thing, My Hero Academia people.

It's in the page.

Also, first volume sold over 300k. It bodes well for the future.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile