Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What kind of reputation do you think Superior Spider-Man will have?

It's been over two years since Superior Spider-Man ended, so there's a bit more distance with the story. What kind of reputation do you think it's going to have?

This isn't necessarily the same as asking how much you liked it. It's possible that you loved it, and think it will be underappreciated, or that you hated it buy think it will be the kind of trash that is inexplicably popular.

My guess is that it'll be a mainstay of Top Ten Spider-Man stories lists, partly because that's the kind of thing that happened with Knightfall for Batman, and Age of Apocalypse for the X-Men.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's been over two years since Superior Spider-Man ended, so there's a bit more distance with the story. What kind of reputation do you think it's going to have?

This isn't necessarily the same as asking how much you liked it. It's possible that you loved it, and think it will be underappreciated, or that you hated it buy think it will be the kind of trash that is inexplicably popular.

My guess is that it'll be a mainstay of Top Ten Spider-Man stories lists, partly because that's the kind of thing that happened with Knightfall for Batman, and Age of Apocalypse for the X-Men.
    You said it. To me, superior is Knightfall.

BANNED

It'll be talked about a lot, at the very least. Probably a favorable reputation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I think that two years later, SSM's status as one of the most well-remembered Spidey sagas of all time is absolutely solid. Yes, of course some will continue to rail against it but I think it more than proved to be a popular and critical success that will remain a back catalog favorite. I'm sure there's plenty of fans who would love to see at least one more encore for SpOck at some point.

Fantastic Member

I think it's a story that will remain popular, but once there's some distance behind it, will receive more criticism for its shortcomings than it did when it was coming out.

Strong start. Weak finish. Better than the stuff that followed.

Its a unique take on Spider-Man that will maintain a favorable reputation but won't be in the top ten list of hardly anyone.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Anyone here remembers New Ways to Die? You know, that story that introduced us to Anti-Venom? Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn were after Spider-Man for being an outlaw to the Superhuman Registration Act?
    I'm the only one here recalling it?

Ok, I have my no reasons, but I believe that is how Superior Spider-Man will be remembered.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Spectacular Member

Kraven's Last Hunt pretty much told the same type of story, and Kraven's Last Hunt will nearly always be recommended and ranked over Superior.

I agree with Kevinroc it starts strong but finishes weak plus it sags in the middle and requires characters to carry the idiot ball in order to work. This will probably keep it from general critics' top lists.

It will probably be remembered as one of Slott's best. Further recommendations and presence on lists will depend on how much that particular person likes Dan Slott's work.

Astonishing Member

I think, much like the alien costume saga, it's something that will always be in print. I would also wager that we'll end up seeing it adapted into other media (cartoons, movies, games etc) for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Strong start. Weak finish. Better than the stuff that followed.
    Yep, totally agree.

It might end up being viewed as some of Slott's best work that couldn't be sustained.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Anyone here remembers New Ways to Die? You know, that story that introduced us to Anti-Venom? Thunderbolts led by Norman Osborn were after Spider-Man for being an outlaw to the Superhuman Registration Act?
    I'm the only one here recalling it?

Ok, I have my no reasons, but I believe that is how Superior Spider-Man will be remembered.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Kraven's Last Hunt pretty much told the same type of story, and Kraven's Last Hunt will nearly always be recommended and ranked over Superior.

I agree with Kevinroc it starts strong but finishes weak plus it sags in the middle and requires characters to carry the idiot ball in order to work. This will probably keep it from general critics' top lists.

It will probably be remembered as one of Slott's best. Further recommendations and presence on lists will depend on how much that particular person likes Dan Slott's work.
    These points are what I support most. In greater contexts where it would come up, you'll eventually hear "Much like Kraven's Last Hunt…", followed by comparing the idea of replacing Peter Parker to the Clone Saga.

iMan 42s

For reputations sake I would say it would have decent word of mouth. When people say its Slott's best work, they aren't kidding. Superior despite some flaws is very memorable, and gets a reaction out of you whether you like it or not. It's as long as it needs to be at least as far as the main title is concerned and starts strong but definitely ends on a weak note.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It'll be talked about a lot, at the very least. Probably a favorable reputation.
    Yeah, pretty much this.

Fantastic Member

I liked it but it will never be one of the classics.

I agree that more of the shortcomings will be apparent in future readings and it won't age well. While the clone saga is becoming more popular as time goes by, Superior will be a curious footnote in Spider-Mans history. It'll be a rarely mentioned joke or the topic of a cbr "remember when, forgotten plots" article sometime in the future