Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Considering the amount of alcohol consumed in Norse myth, I'd have a harder time trying to buy Thor not being an alcoholic.
    Drinking a lot and being an alcoholic are two different things.

Thor has always enjoyed a good celebration. Anyone who's followed him knows that.

But he has always had the ability to prioritize, the address important matters first and foremost, and when the matter is confirmed as settled, great feast, mead, etc.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Considering the amount of alcohol consumed in Norse myth, I'd have a harder time trying to buy Thor not being an alcoholic.
    Wasn't it Thor who entered into a drinking contest engineered by Utgard-Loki, whereby Thor unwittingly drank enough of what he thought was either mead or wine to reduce the oceans? Not sure how much of the myth is canon with Marvel, but I'm never volunteering to pay Thor's tab at any bar that he frequents. The man has a black hole for a stomach.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Thor did recall a drinking match he and Hercules had against some frost giants during the memorial for Herc. As it was he was able to hold his own after so many flagons served.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yeah I dont buy "Thor is an alcoholic".

Good grief.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah I dont buy "Thor is an alcoholic".

Good grief.
    I don't recall Thor being obsessed with mead before Aaron, unless it's a magical brainwashing mead made by Amora's sister.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

But, and this is inherently important, he never used it as a crutch before Aaron, and importantly if it's earth based, it shouldn't even make him tipsy,

Now him enjoying a drink is fine, but only Aaron has wrote adult Thor (I admit others have during Arrons run time, say in secret empire) depending on it

Others writers followed suit with it

In avengers it's almost a gag, which is basically what Thor is in that book for Aaron

Totally missing the pathos of the character imo

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    But, and this is inherently important, he never used it as a crutch before Aaron, and importantly if it's earth based, it shouldn't even make him tipsy,

Now him enjoying a drink is fine, but only Aaron has wrote adult Thor (I admit others have during Arrons run time, say in secret empire) depending on it

Others writers followed suit with it

In avengers it's almost a gag, which is basically what Thor is in that book for Aaron

Totally missing the pathos of the character imo
    I think Aaron is trying to ape MCU Thor post-Ragnarok.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Yes, it's noticeable

I liked the film, and within its context the humour

But it's very grating in the book

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I think he took a few cues from Dark World too. Leave it to Aaron to watch the movies and gt the totally wrong messages

So...what happened? I mean, there was obviously a time when more of Thor's fans liked what Marvel was grinding out. When did it all go south for the Thunder God?

Here's a more specific question: of all the writer's that have written Thor, which ones actually understood the character and which ones actually liked him?
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Here's a more specific question: of all the writer's that have written Thor, which ones actually understood the character and which ones actually liked him?
    Can't go wrong with Walt Simonson; his 80's run is gold for many.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Can't go wrong with Walt Simonson; his 80's run is gold for many.
    Indeed. A much needed boost that put Thor back on the map. I tend to enjoy Jurgen's interpretation of Thor as well.
    ----------------------

So...what happened? I mean, there was obviously a time when more of Thor's fans liked what Marvel was grinding out. When did it all go south for the Thunder God?

Simonson, Defalco and Jurgens get the character. Also JMS and Oeming.

Just ugh, just skip the part with the clone of Thanos.

Amazing Member

Walt Simonson and Michael Von Oeming are by far the best Thor writers imo. I'd add Keiron Gillen to the list but he is more of a Loki writer. Jurgens and JMS were decent. Defalco was a hit and miss imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Walt Simonson and Michael Von Oeming are by far the best Thor writers imo. I'd add Keiron Gillen to the list but he is more of a Loki writer. Jurgens and JMS were decent. Defalco was a hit and miss imo.
    Defalco became ''meh'' when he turned Eric into Thor, but i loved everything before that.