Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default ASM 4 (#898) Discussion

I have to say I kinda dig this. Tombstone literally made The Rose look like a giant wimp. And Peter did his dirty work without even knowing it.
    Romita got back to his best after a bad issue and this took me back to the best JMS stories (with Spidey hanging from the ceiling and kicking The Rose's goons right in the face). I'm kinda lost as to how Tombstone was able to get Spider-Man literally under a Rose hideout without him noticing a single thing, but I guess this is what it is. And thank God Tombstone is actually changed and he wasn't really trying to kill Robbie or Randy, because that would have been a slap to Nick Spencer's run!
    The MJ-Felicia angle was ok, we still don't know enough to judge.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I have to say I kinda dig this. Tombstone literally made The Rose look like a giant wimp. And Peter did his dirty work without even knowing it.
    Romita got back to his best after a bad issue and this took me back to the best JMS stories (with Spidey hanging from the ceiling and kicking The Rose's goons right in the face). I'm kinda lost as to how Tombstone was able to get Spider-Man literally under a Rose hideout without him noticing a single thing, but I guess this is what it is. And thank God Tombstone is actually changed and he wasn't really trying to kill Robbie or Randy, because that would have been a slap to Nick Spencer's run!
    The MJ-Felicia angle was ok, we still don't know enough to judge.
    So do you think we'll get a Randy wedding or are they done now showing up?

Astonishing Member

My take:

Wells once again makes Peter both the damsel and the patsy. Even though Peter wasn't in any real danger of losing his life, he still had to be rescued by Kareem. And Tombstone played him like Yo-Yo Ma on his cello at Carnegie Hall. You would think when the bad guys yelled for Digger (another example of the cover lying) that Peter might have twigged he was being set up, but no.

So if you like pages of punch-ups and Spider-Man breaking loose on bad guys, it's entertaining. Some of his fight tactics were fun, and the more pages JRJR spends on action sequences - I thought his art was the best we've seen so far - and the less time on human faces/normal anatomy (the little girl has some weird proportions), the better.

If you're reading for Peter Parker's life, you're out of luck. If you're reading to see how the main plot advances, you're out of luck; the MJ/Felicia stuff is yet more mystery box and thus tiresome, especially since the opening pages set up expectations for Felicia to show up for the fight which aren't fulfulled. If you're a Tombstone guy - and I wasn't all that impressed last issue but I'm back to liking the big goon - this is a great issue. But the book isn't called The Amazing Tombstone, despite appearing otherwise.

The best issue so far, but still feels like it's treading water and not advancing the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    My take:

Wells once again makes Peter both the damsel and the patsy. Even though Peter wasn't in any real danger of losing his life, he still had to be rescued by Kareem. And Tombstone played him like Yo-Yo Ma on his cello at Carnegie Hall. You would think when the bad guys yelled for Digger (another example of the cover lying) that Peter might have twigged he was being set up, but no.

So if you like pages of punch-ups and Spider-Man breaking loose on bad guys, it's entertaining. Some of his fight tactics were fun, and the more pages JRJR spends on action sequences - I thought his art was the best we've seen so far - and the less time on human faces/normal anatomy (the little girl has some weird proportions), the better.

If you're reading for Peter Parker's life, you're out of luck. If you're reading to see how the main plot advances, you're out of luck; the MJ/Felicia stuff is yet more mystery box and thus tiresome, especially since the opening pages set up expectations for Felicia to show up for the fight which aren't fulfulled. If you're a Tombstone guy - and I wasn't all that impressed last issue but I'm back to liking the big goon - this is a great issue. But the book isn't called The Amazing Tombstone, despite appearing otherwise.

The best issue so far, but still feels like it's treading water and not advancing the story.
    Pretty much agreed. I liked seeing Pete in action and it was pretty entertaining, but it still feels kind of empty. Just like, "Wow, that's it?" Also, how did Tombstone know Spider-Man would get free to run wild through Rose's men? The only reason Spider-Man got free to be set-up like that was the dude he saved letting him loose.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Pretty much agreed. I liked seeing Pete in action and it was pretty entertaining, but it still feels kind of empty. Just like, "Wow, that's it?" Also, how did Tombstone know Spider-Man would get free to run wild through Rose's men? The only reason Spider-Man got free to be set-up like that was the dude he saved letting him loose.
    I think Kareem was part of the set up. All of Tombstone's goons were in on it. That's why Peter's spider-sense didn't go off when the goon holding the gun squeezed the trigger. That's why Tombstone was angry when the other goon said the name of the train - he was actually giving out their correct address, not pretending they were in Harlem. And Kareen told Peter to go upstairs and go after the men - but Kareem knew those were the Rose's men, not Tombstone's.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Kareem was sent by Tombstone to "rescue" Peter. I even think that the other guy wouldn't have pulled the trigger anyway.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue and thought the “twist” was pretty smart. Really good for a stand-alone back issue.

enjoyed it a lot tombstone is pretty good now I'm questioning if Kareem was a set up as well or it's all part of the plan. As for the MJ stuff don't care anymore it is what it is.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    enjoyed it a lot tombstone is pretty good now I'm questioning if Kareem was a set up as well or it's all part of the plan. As for the MJ stuff don't care anymore it is what it is.
    No it;s not they'll get back together and everyone will rejoice. Quit fooling yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    No it;s not they'll get back together and everyone will rejoice. Quit fooling yourself
    which is why I said I don't care anymore about the mystery
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Tombstone was in great form, channeling his Spectacular animated incarnation. ..."You've done the Big Man's business for free. That my heroic friend is what grown ups call irony."

This was a fun issue with the art and action, but in terms of the Spidey/MJ mystery, I too am growing tired. I enjoyed the MJ/Pete romance in Beyond, because it seemed like we'd finally moved past OMD so to speak. But at this point either pair MJ and Pete back up or get him back together with Felicia. It's been nearly 15 years since BND, I feel like we can grow Pete up a bit - that doesn't mean he has to be married but put him in a relationship that lasts longer than a few issues, please.

Edit: Also, I miss Pete's supporting cast. Great that we have the Randy/Robbie side-story, but I feel like we never see Jonah or the Bugle gang anymore. Plus what about the characters from Beyond, are we just done with them now?
    Last edited by bdog; 06-22-2022 at 02:47 PM. Reason: More to say

Fantastic Member

I would like to see how the relationship between Felicia and Peter works now, it would be different for their previous attempts, I still prefer petermj lol

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    This was a fun issue with the art and action, but in terms of the Spidey/MJ mystery, I too am growing tired. I enjoyed the MJ/Pete romance in Beyond, because it seemed like we'd finally moved past OMD so to speak. But at this point either pair MJ and Pete back up or get him back together with Felicia. It's been nearly 15 years since BND, I feel like we can grow Pete up a bit - that doesn't mean he has to be married but put him in a relationship that lasts longer than a few issues, please.

Edit: Also, I miss Pete's supporting cast. Great that we have the Randy/Robbie side-story, but I feel like we never see Jonah or the Bugle gang anymore. Plus what about the characters from Beyond, are we just done with them now?
    Maxine Danger just getting away at the end pisses me off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I think Kareem was part of the set up. All of Tombstone's goons were in on it. That's why Peter's spider-sense didn't go off when the goon holding the gun squeezed the trigger. That's why Tombstone was angry when the other goon said the name of the train - he was actually giving out their correct address, not pretending they were in Harlem. And Kareen told Peter to go upstairs and go after the men - but Kareem knew those were the Rose's men, not Tombstone's.
    Oh, yeah. You're right.