Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not cold to the idea but I don't think it should rebooted at this point. However, if an alternate universe version incorporated magic instead of evolution and wanted to run with it, I would definitely read. But for 616 - it's too late, I think, it's too far down the road to twist it now.

Astonishing Member

I thought that is Excalibur's purview. To be honest though there are few stories involving magic menaces.Necrosha was pretty dope for me and it got a mix of magic and tech(techno organic virus) I would have preferred it was pure necromancy and it was the story that brought Selene one of my fave villains to the forefront

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I think it might fare worse if it was strictly a magic-focused franchise.

Luckily, the X-Men (as all comics, really) do incorporate and explore historical, romance, sci-fi, action/adventure and magical with a bit of horror thrown in here and there all under the umbrella of Superhero-Fantasy. For someone like myself who appreciates all genres of literature really do love that about comics in general and the X-Men specifically, which allows the readers to pick and choose which genre/book to follow depending on their taste. (Where I love and enjoy Excalibur I can see why others may not like it).
    This is what I love most about Dawn of X
    We can get High Fantasy and Magic in Excalibur
    Science Fiction in several books
    Obviously the X-books have always been a soap opera so definitely romance and drama
    Now future Science Fiction by going back to space in S.W.O.R.D.

I love that we can touch on all the different genres in one series of books!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Worse way worse.

We don't have to choose, we can have it all and then some!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    This is what I love most about Dawn of X
    We can get High Fantasy and Magic in Excalibur
    Science Fiction in several books
    Obviously the X-books have always been a soap opera so definitely romance and drama
    Now future Science Fiction by going back to space in S.W.O.R.D.

I love that we can touch on all the different genres in one series of books!
    Exactatiously

That's why I'm so excited for SWORD...I've always loved Mutants in Space adventures
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-17-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I think if one genre dominates the X-Men it's definitely scif-fi (evolution themes, enemy robots, aliens, cosmic forces) but like others have said I don't mind the fantasy elements when they get focus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Its a shame that Forge hasn't used his magic in decades, Storm hasn't been linked to her own magical roots in the X-titles even longer, and Magik has stopped doing spells, using her scrying glass, or armoring up.

As for Pixie, does she still have her soul dagger? I can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    ???

Of those 3 things, only the scrying glass hasn't come up in the last year.
    I missed that Please tell me in what title and issue depicts Illyana sporting her Eldritch armor. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Worse way worse.
    I am curious as to why? Magic as powers is almost indistinguishable from mutant gene as powers.The very few things that actually change with magic as the base.

Anyways Marvel has 1602 stories and mutants were called Witchbreed( that is what Excalibur was referencing) and humans deep hate of people with superpowers makes a little bit more sense (because this actually still happens today) which is some culture still blame the devil and dark magic on things. In 1602 mutants are name Witchbreed because "they are believed to be the offspring of witches and the Devil, spawned during a Satanic black Sabbath."

I wonder which is a better reason of prime hate "Mutants might be spawns the devil" or "Mutants might be a walking WMD" I think either work well but what I think would be clearly better is the third group. I think Church of Humanity as bunch of magic hating humans would be the third faction that the franchise needs at times. They are a lot arguments that would be squash about humanity with a clear group that dislike mutants, instead of humanity in general seeming to hate mutants. A faction of people who will always be distrustful for mutants on a religion basis, leaves the rest of humanity to be more complex in their beliefs.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-17-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I missed that Please tell me in what title and issue depicts Illyana sporting her Eldritch armor. Thanks...
    She just used it in the empyre tie in.

Ultimate Member

Definitely both. Some of my favorite X-stuff involves science-fiction-y elements like the Shiar and Sentinels, *and* magical stuff like the N'Garai and Selene, and just straight up Weird Tales stuff like the Savage Land.

IIRC, when the Dark Phoenix first busted loose on Earth, way back in the DPS, Dr. Strange looked up, his magical senses alerted to 'great mystical power and passion' or something to that effect, so the Phoenix entity seems to be tied to mystical forces, already (or it's cosmic nature pretty much puts it on that level by default).