13 50.00%
  • Very good. 4 stars.

4 15.38%
  • Excellent. 5 stars.

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wonder Woman #68 review.

So issue 68 of this arc does a great job at making its plot feel pointless. Diana was holding back all this time. And easily defeated a bunch of giants. Making Giganta useless as she didn't do anything important in the whole arc when ggw first told us she needed Giganta. But no, Giganta was just there. BUT............ it turns out that Diana did need help after all. Just not from Giganta who was supposed to be the big helping hand here. No. It was from maggie. Who became "Queen arthur" and saved our poor Diana from the biggest giant. Because sure, Diana was holding back before and could easily take out the fodder giants. But the really big one? No, for that we need to see Maggie to the rescue. Once again Diana was not the one putting down the big threat in her own title. It was a new girl with a mystic sword. Because a no holding back WW doesn't have enough power to handle it alone.

The art is also terrible as usual. And Diana talking once again about feeling insecure is just annoying at this point. We have no great art. No great use of a classic WW villain. No great powerhouse moments, and an insecure Diana. But i suppose that being insecure fits this Diana. Since she is never shown as capable of ending a big threat on her own. I think it's obvious by now. Between the bad art and gww's weak writing. This team doesn't know how to handle a character like Wonder Woman. They don't capture the powerhouse side, the confident and epicness of the character and classic villains like Giganta and Ares.
    Last edited by starlight25; 04-10-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Wonder Woman decapitated a Titan with her lasso then used her strength and speed to smash 8 more. If you wanted action it was there, if you wanted feats they were there, for me there was nothing to complain about but the art that abruptly stopped being enjoyable the moment Cary Nord stopped drawing. Although I'm not really a fan of Cary Nord's drawings, Giganta actually looked better under his pen than by the Dodsons on the cover. His art wasn't pretty but it was interesting.

Also the purpose of Giganta's presence is being missed. She wasn't there to provide assistance but a future plot point. It was a set up and one of their best battles but not of the body, of the mind. This might be the first fight Giganta wins against Diana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Wonder Woman decapitated a Titan with her lasso then used her strength and speed to smash 8 more. If you wanted action it was there, if you wanted feats they were there, for me there was nothing to complain about but the art that abruptly stopped being enjoyable the moment Cary Nord stopped drawing. Although I'm not really a fan of Cary Nord's drawings, Giganta actually looked better under his pen than by the Dodsons on the cover. His art wasn't pretty but it was interesting.

Also the purpose of Giganta's presence is being missed. She wasn't there to provide assistance but a future plot point. It was a set up and one of their best battles but not of the body, of the mind. This might be the first fight Giganta wins against Diana.
    But she couldn't fight the really big one. This is not the first time under gww where somebody else stops the biggest threat instead of Diana. WW couldn't even break free when the biggest giant stepped on her.

According to gww. Wonder Woman needed Giganta to fight these titants because of a size thing. She was there to provide assistence. That's what we were told at the start of this arc. But she didn't do anything.

Aphrodite was absent last issue for reason. She didn't spend all her time away watching over Maggie and the Mythic Three, so why was she lying?

And what was that about Antiope being alive?

There's more going on here than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    But she couldn't fight the really big one. This is not the first time under gww where somebody else stops the biggest threat instead of Diana. WW couldn't even break free when the biggest giant stepped on her.

According to gww. Wonder Woman needed Giganta to fight these titants because of a size thing. She was there to provide assistence. That's what we were told at the start of this arc. But she didn't do anything.
    Notice she emerges unharmed, Wonder Woman wanted to see if Giganta would rescue her. She had doubts about Doris and put them to the test. Which is why she got her involved in the first place. Like with Mayfly she attempted to turn an enemy into a friend, yet that enemy sowed the seeds for her possible destruction by implanting a brainworm to confuse her confidence.

It worked the other way around too, because Giganta was distraught and moving to aid her, so she might not be as bad as she thought. There was more than one plan being reversed in this story.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.

BANNED

Notice she emerges unharmed, Wonder Woman wanted to see if Giganta would rescue her. She had doubts about Doris and put them to the test. Which is why she got her involved in the first place. Like with Mayfly she attempted to turn an enemy into a friend, yet that enemy sowed the seeds for her possible destruction by implanting a brainworm to confuse her confidence.

It worked the other way around too, because Giganta was distraught and moving to aid her, so she might not be as bad as she thought. There was more than one plan being reversed in this story.
    I wouldn't say unharmed. It was a nice durability feat. But she didn't have the strength to break free. And not being fast enough to dodge(after showing speed before in this issue, and ranking among the fastest heros in DC) was not a good look either.

We were told she needed Giganta. The whole arc and the way the issues were promoted revolved around Wonder Woman needing Giananta's help to fight the titants. Saying that because of their size, she needed somebody just as big. Then at the end we are told Diana didn't need her. But she did need maggie to stop the biggest giant. Apparently she wasn't strong enough to handle that one. Wonder Woman has not won one big fight on her own in a while.

First, the art. First half of the issue is Nord, and there is not much to say that haven't been said earlier. He has a great eye for action, composition, and landscapes, but again it feels like he spends the least effort on Diana and puts the wrong beats on Diana's expressions. I have no idea why there is that disconnect between Wilson and Nord here, but there definitely is one. The splash on pages 10 and 11 is also interesting. For once Nord managed to put something fierce and dangerous on Diana's face as she pulls the "titan" apart, but the way her legs and arms are drawn makes her face look crude from an art standpoint.

Then we get Ronan Cliquet for the second half, and while it is in some way prettier than Nord's art, it's not as interesting. The disposition is more conventional, and he doesn't manage to convey the sense of scale or movement that Nord did. The art situation is a real mess right now, and I really hope that Chris Conroy's replacement as editor makes it their top priority.

Story-wise it's nothing special; it's standard superhero action with a reveal at the end that leads to the next adventure. But the real meat is in the interactions between Giganta and Diana: of the way Giganta gets under Diana's skin in another way than Ares did in the first arc, or the three mythketeers questioned how well Diana understood them, or Veronica Cale put her finger of Diana's weak spot of home. Giganta asked what would make Diana happy, and asked why she was holding back. The reason Wilson needed Giganta was not the reason why Wonder Woman needed Giganta in this story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

So Wonder Woman necked a giant two issues in a row.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Art was still meh. These issues would likely get 3.5 or 4 stars if we could get a better artist on it. July doesn't seem to be bringing any change as far as that goes.

Antiope's sword and it being a clue that Diana's people might be safe indicates that Antiope might have been living on the island, alive, when Diana left. She is referred here as one of the fiercest Amazon warriors, but not Hippolyta's sister. You'd think that would come up, though maybe it still will? I hope it is, I'd like all of Hippolyta's sisters in myth to be acknowledged. Antiope is the most prominent, but I'd like a writer to just quietly ignore Menalippe's death in Darkseid War and bring her back as the island's oracle (I think that's the main reason Castalia was there in Year One instead of her or Penelope). And for someone to do something with Penthesilea and Glauce (appeared in LoWW, doesn't seem much has ever been done with her?).

Yes, i'm not sure how much more people want after Wonder Woman does a Kryptonian or Shazam level feat and flies through an army of stone giants and easily devastates them. Yeah, the biggest one stepped on her, but who cares she didn't have a scratch on her afterward. Are we not allowed to see her take some knocks? I was a little annoyed that Maggie showing up with the sword resolved the conflict. A little too similar to Aphrodite whispering in Ares's ear and interrupting the fight (though it should be noted Diana was coming out on top before the fight ended). But Diana still did resolve the conflicts with Eirene and co by recruiting Ferdinand to help them, and defused her feud with Veronica after figuring out what Nemesis was doing on her own. And this does shed some light on the Just War that people were speculating on, Wonder Woman was dealing with a bunch of fragile human soldiers and was restraining herself for their sake and not hers. She'd devastate them quicker than the giants if she cut loose. Restraint has always been a part of Wonder Woman's powers and how she uses them. Her creator gave her the Bracelets of Submission (and the cautionary examples of her removing them to be unrestrained) for a reason, whether we like it or not. This seems to be heading towards something in the same vein, just (hopefully) without the "berserker women are crazy with violence, just like a man!" stuff.

Also interesting that Giganta is the one to pick up on this. Marston's Giganta was all about the strong dominating the weak (though also interestingly, wanted to follow a strong alpha male instead of being ruled by a "she), and it's cool that Wilson is working that into how Doris views herself and Diana.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-13-2019 at 10:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Art was still meh. These issues would likely get 3.5 or 4 stars if we could get a better artist on it. July doesn't seem to be bringing any change as far as that goes.

Antiope's sword and it being a clue that Diana's people might be safe indicates that Antiope might have been living on the island, alive, when Diana left. She is referred here as one of the fiercest Amazon warriors, but not Hippolyta's sister. You'd think that would come up, though maybe it still will? I hope it is, I'd like all of Hippolyta's sisters in myth to be acknowledged. Antiope is the most prominent, but I'd like a writer to just quietly ignore Menalippe's death in Darkseid War and bring her back as the island's oracle (I think that's the main reason Castalia was there in Year One instead of her or Penelope). And for someone to do something with Penthesilea and Glauce (appeared in LoWW, doesn't seem much has ever been done with her?).

Yes, i'm not sure how much more people want after Wonder Woman does a Kryptonian or Shazam level feat and flies through an army of stone giants and easily devastates them. Yeah, the biggest one stepped on her, but who cares she didn't have a scratch on her afterward. Are we not allowed to see her take some knocks? I was a little annoyed that Maggie showing up with the sword resolved the conflict. A little too similar to Aphrodite whispering in Ares's ear and interrupting the fight (though it should be noted Diana was coming out on top before the fight ended). But Diana still did resolve the conflicts with Eirene and co by recruiting Ferdinand to help them, and defused her feud with Veronica after figuring out what Nemesis was doing on her own. And this does shed some light on the Just War that people were speculating on, Wonder Woman was dealing with a bunch of fragile human soldiers and was restraining herself for their sake and not hers. She'd devastate them quicker than the giants if she cut loose. Restraint has always been a part of Wonder Woman's powers and how she uses them. Her creator gave her the Bracelets of Submission (and the cautionary examples of her removing them to be unrestrained) for a reason, whether we like it or not. This seems to be heading towards something in the same vein, just (hopefully) without the "berserker women are crazy with violence, just like a man!" stuff.

Also interesting that Giganta is the one to pick up on this. Marston's Giganta was all about the strong dominating the weak (though also interestingly, wanted to follow a strong alpha male instead of being ruled by a "she), and it's cool that Wilson is working that into how Doris views herself and Diana.
    My point is, that we haven't really seen her taking out the biggest threat in an epic one one battle in any of the arcs of this run. I never said i want her to win everyting or win all the time. I think the action improved. But still not as much as i would like. And the art doesn't help either.

Yea right now Dc doesn’t keeps Diana’s strength even with JL’s corrected. One minute she taken on the baddest villains next she is defeat at times by low level characters.

I want to thank all of you for discussing WW #68, so insightfully, because that persuaded me to buy it, ..and I'm extremely glad that I did.

I think #68, while lacking the plot depth, spectacle, action and grandeur of better stories, should the model for moving forward with WW. Truthfully, there was so much heart and clever characterization in this title - maybe, the best since Azzarello or Rucka - that I almost didn't care about what was missing. Seeing Diana, Aphrodite and Maggie sail off into the sunset, with no Steve Trevor anywhere in sight, was so satisfying to me and so recalled the spirit of the Marston comics, in its imagination and sentimentality, that I actually wanted the story to continue. It felt so good to read a WW comic, with an actual CAST, like Superman's and Batman's comics.

Diana, Aphrodite and Maggie, ..with Steve, Ferdinand and the Mythic Three on the side...LOVE IT! Finally, what promises to be a regular cast - for me, every or every other issue! Finally, something to emotionally invest in and look forward to in a WW comic, post-Rucka! Love it! Love it! Love it!

Diana's the level-headed, purposeful center; Aphrodite is the wise, intuitive caregiver, and Maggie is the headstrong, slightly reckless everywoman. What a great dynamic for an on-going narrative! Love it!

With a regular cast established, you can add on what I have often called 'recurring characters' - Hippolyta, the Amazons, Donna, Queen Desira of Venus, Etta, Cassie, Black Canary, superhero friends of Diana's, good Hercules, I Ching, Sensation Comics heroes, Mister Genie, the Olympian, etc - all of whom we might see five or six times, a year. The regular cast is a foundation for building a rich, imaginative Wonderverse, featuring recurring, familiar places, ..like Virginia Shore, Washington, Paradise Island, Mount Olympus, Gateway City, some iconic HQ for ARGUS, with a big, rotating EYE on it. The sky is the limit, ..once editors enforce the inclusion of a regular cast in WW stories, and WW #68 hints at what could be the beginning of all of that.

With what WW #68 established, hopefully we will see the epic spectacle, imagination, ACTION and fun to make a GREAT run on WW. Honestly, if that means leaving Etta, Sasha, the secret identity and some of the other mainstays, in the rearview, I'm for it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-14-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

One thing that I liked here is that tactics matter. Diana isn't stronger or more durable than the earth elementals. In a regular punching match, she is unable to stop them. She needed to use her speed to beat them, and for that she needed room. The reason the big titan could stomp on her was not because she was nerfed or outclassed, but because Giganta didn't listen to her. Instead Diana was tethered to a spot trying to protect Giganta.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    ...The reason the big titan could stomp on her was not because she was nerfed or outclassed, but because Giganta didn't listen to her. Instead Diana was tethered to a spot trying to protect Giganta.
    That was brilliant.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

what do you mean by durable to earth elements? Wilson has moved back and forth with Diana’s strength. So what actually should she be able to endure
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-14-2019 at 07:42 AM.