Page 778 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2786787287687747757767777787797807817827888288781278 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,670 of 20948

Well, supposedly they're still doing a Batgirl movie but who knows what direction that will go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, supposedly they're still doing a Batgirl movie but who knows what direction that will go in.
    Smart money is on the slightly rebooted DCEU post-Flashpoint with Keaton's Batman making an appearance. I mean, it's not certain, but it's my guess.

Batgirl is usually more independent than Robin was at the start of his career. The fact she's not a young kid Bruce Wayne adopted and trained to fight crime makes her being younger a lot more acceptable, IMO.
    She isn't Bruce's responsibility, at least not initially.

In a movie adaptation, I'd want her to have a solo career before actually crossing paths with Batman. Kind of like Ms. Marvel. Carol inspired her but had no control over Kamala's choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Batgirl is usually more independent than Robin was at the start of his career. The fact she's not a young kid Bruce Wayne adopted and trained to fight crime makes her being younger a lot more acceptable, IMO.

In a movie adaptation, I'd want her to have a solo career before actually crossing paths with Batman. Kind of like Ms. Marvel. Carol inspired her but had no control over Kamala's choices.
    I know, but she's still commonly seen or regarded as being a Batfamily member or sidekick, even if she's not as closely connected to Batman as Robin is.

I know, but she's still commonly seen or regarded as being a Batfamily member or sidekick, even if she's not as closely connected to Batman as Robin is.
    I don't think the wider Batfamily is the issue, just certain aspects of certain characters. Batgirl being more independent from Batman, starting out on her own, and usually starting in her late teens/early 20s avoids many of the issues with adapting Robin. In many ways Batgirl's an easier sell - especially now that the fear that women led superhero movies can't do well has been somewhat disproven to the studio execs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think the wider Batfamily is the issue, just certain aspects of certain characters. Batgirl being more independent from Batman, starting out on her own, and usually starting in her late teens/early 20s avoids many of the issues with adapting Robin. In many ways Batgirl's an easier sell - especially now that the fear that women led superhero movies can't do well has been somewhat disproven to the studio execs.
    I don't know how much of that went into them pushing a Batgirl film beyond expanding the brand, but I guess it probably didn't hurt.

The Batman cartoon already did this. She starts off as a freelancer and teamed up with Batman before he adopted Robin.

I don't know how much of that went into them pushing a Batgirl film beyond expanding the brand, but I guess it probably didn't hurt.
    True, it's hard to say they put much careful thought into these decisions, but at least those points in Batgirl's favor doesn't hurt any.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Batman cartoon already did this. She starts off as a freelancer and teamed up with Batman before he adopted Robin.
    There she was more trying to become Batman's Robin after she debuted, which she basically was even if he didn't hand her a Batwave until the season 3 finale.

The DCEU is getting a whole lot of talented actors recently! About time! Can’t believe we have the likes of Helen Mirren, Lucy Liu, Nicole Kidman and Julia Robert’s (technically) in the DCEU now!

Extraordinary Member

She isn't his responsibility when she first appears, but she is wearing his symbol and it beggars belief that she doesn't get killed on her first night out. And later, as Frontier pointed out, she is a member of the Batfamily so she is his responsibility and she wasn't trained to be a superhero, especially in Gotham.

We all know how Batman trained. We also know that every Robin trained extensively under Batman. Batgirl had no such training. I know that the answer is that it's comic books, but if we're talking about Batgirl's early career, I think this is also a thing to talk about.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    She isn't his responsibility when she first appears, but she is wearing his symbol and it beggars belief that she doesn't get killed on her first night out. And later, as Frontier pointed out, she is a member of the Batfamily so she is his responsibility and she wasn't trained to be a superhero, especially in Gotham.

We all know how Batman trained. We also know that every Robin trained extensively under Batman. Batgirl had no such training. I know that the answer is that it's comic books, but if we're talking about Batgirl's early career, I think this is also a thing to talk about.
    I'm not familiar with those particular stories but it just popped into my head, maybe we can chalk it up to intensive police-like training from daddy?

It depends on what continuity you're looking at.

I know in Post-Crisis she had self-defense training (and maybe a black belt?), but Jim wouldn't let her join the police force, and she ended up lucking into her first big victory as Batgirl through grit and moxy. Then Batman started formally training her, which is usually the case for modern adaptions.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

I actually want a movie (and honestly, a comic book) to explain that. I only saw Batgirl Year One the motion comic, but I think it kind of skimped on the training stuff too? Her dad is a cop in the most crime ridden city in the US, it makes sense that he'd have taught her self defense, and had her in a self defense class. I'm sure there's a karate class or judo class that Babs could have been in since she was a child. Add in say a gymnastics class or track and field in high school to help with running and leaping from rooftop to rooftop and you've got a good base to help buy into it.