Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dick Tracy coming to Archie Comics in 2018

Here's the link to the article on CBR:

And here's something from Previewsworld:
    "Dick Tracy has always been a character that stands shoulder to shoulder amongst the best--Superman, The Shadow, Conan the Barbarian, Spider-Man, you name it," said co-writer Michael Moreci. "There's been so many great Dick Tracy stories over the past 75 years, and that's such a testament to his versatility, his amazing--unbeatable--rogues gallery, and what he represents."

"The first arc of the series is going back to square one - as we explore the very early days of Dick Tracy's time in The City, soon after the second World War," said co-writer Alex Segura. "While everyone is familiar with the established, confident and heroic Tracy, we wanted to give readers a chance to see how all that came to be, and how his Rogues first reared their ugly mugs."
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...-Comics-Series

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really like the character of Dick Tracy, but I don't know how Archie Comics will handle him (nor do I know if they'll actually stay on a decent schedule for this).
    And why start him off post-World War II? The 1930's (when his comic strip originally began) would have been a much more interesting period with the Great Depression and all the notorious criminals of that time.

I wonder if the comic books will have Moon Maid? Or the Moon people in general?

Moon Maid.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I wonder if the comic books will have Moon Maid? Or the Moon people in general?
    I doubt they would be in a "Year One" type of story, since they weren't introduced in the strip until much later. (Junior Tracy, who married Moon Maid, wasn't even a teenager when he first appeared in the strip in the 1930s.)
    It all probably depends on how much "rebooting" they do as to if/when there might be a Moon Maid/Moon people introduction to the comic book version (and also depends on how many issues actually get produced and published).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I don't have any affinity for Dick Tracy and his world. If I did and was a Dick Tracy fan I'd be concerned about Archie landing the license. They let the Dark Circle superhero languish with delays. The Archie Horror line can't be kept on a schedule either.

I give it 4-6 issues for the whole of 2018 and then it fades away because Archie leadership is distracted by something else.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah the Archie house style of handling books isn't exactly what I want for Tracy, but I suppose all I can do is try it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah the Archie house style of handling books isn't exactly what I want for Tracy, but I suppose all I can do is try it.
    How long before the whole thing ends up as an YA concept on the CW. It's the only thing that comes out on time. Teen Tracy!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm honestly not looking forward to this at all and will likely skip it entirely. Not at all what I wanted for the character.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

I'm surprised by this and I hope Archie can keep this one license up and proper and not let it fall to the wayside.

BANNED

Not sure about the art style from the preview but I`ll be sure to check it out.

I really like the line work. Very reminiscent of Joe Staton but without being as stylized.
    However... I personally don't like the coloring, especially on the faces.

I wish them luck, but it'll depend on how committed Archie is to it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Yeah, no. Not happening.

Lol, Archie...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Yeah, no. Not happening.

Lol, Archie...
    The tweets from the Tribune Content Agcy (dated Jan. 16th):
    "Due to an unfortunate error on our part, Tribune is sad to announce that there will not be a DICK TRACY comic book series from Archie Comics ... (1)
    https://twitter.com/TribuneAgency/st...04223583817728

"While we had high hopes for the book and Archie Comics negotiated the deal in good faith and is not at fault, we discovered a preexisting licensing deal that precludes us from continuing with this project ... (2)
    https://twitter.com/TribuneAgency/st...04319322927105

"We apologize to Archie Comics, the very talented creators and their many fans." (3)
    https://twitter.com/TribuneAgency/st...04374515781638

Well, that embarrassing for Archie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, that embarrassing for Archie.
    For Archie or for Tribune?
    It doesn't look like Archie announced all this without talking to Tribune first.
    "While we had high hopes for the book and Archie Comics negotiated the deal in good faith and is not at fault, we discovered a preexisting licensing deal that precludes us from continuing with this project ... (2)
    https://twitter.com/TribuneAgency/st...04319322927105

Both I guess. But the average person wouldn't even know who Tribune are. It's Archie who'll get the bad press, having announced something it turns out they didn't have the licence for! Not their fault I know, but there'll definitely be some red faces at Archie HQ tonight.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman