Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Spider-Man Artist of the Last Decade

Who do you guys think was the best Spider-Man artist of the 2010s?

I realized I don't have an immediate answer.

For context, Spider-Man comics out in January 2010 included Amazing Spider-Man #617 (Gauntlet: The Rhino), and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #6 (the conclusion of a Mysterio arc) so any work by artists since then is fair game.

I'm a big fan of Marcos Martin, but he wasn't all that prolific (some short stories with Stan Lee, Gauntlet: Mysterio, No One Dies, Dan Slott's last issue)

Ryan Stegman is probably my favorite artist to have his Spider-Man debut this decade, and has had interesting runs on Scarlet Spider, Superior Spider-Man and Venom. Ryan Ottley has also been quite impressive.

Humberto Ramos has been prolific, telling big (and good) stories with Slott and Spencer.

Sara Pichelli is consistently incredible.

Who is the best of this group in the last ten years, and who am I missing?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I will go with Ryan Stegman because his artwork was important for Superior Spider-Man (I hate the story but Stegman's art-work is excellent), Renew Your Vows, and now Donny Cates' run on Venom and Absolute Carnage. Of the lot he's most prolific and diverse and if you had to name one artist for the 2010s, it would be Stegman.

Marcos Martin is not as versatile. But his art is excellent. As a story, No one dies is mediocre, facile and trite, but the artwork is a tour de force. On the whole, I think Martin's best work is the non-canon Stan Lee stuff, especially IDENTITY CRISIS which is hilarious.

Humberto Ramos has never been a favorite of mine, going back to when I discovered him during his collaboration with Jenkins on Spectacular. But his stuff for HUNTED was excellent on the whole.

Ryan Ottley and Nick Spencer likewise are a great writer/artist team, where they are totally in synch and so on.

Humberto Ramos is my only answer to this question. His work on Slott's run and Spencer's run showed his growth as an artist and as a storyteller. He has consistently delivered quality work and his style for me is synonymous with the Web-Slinger.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

This is going to be a very difficult challenge. There were so many amazing artists over the years.

Astonishing Member

Ryan Stegman and Marcos Martin were the first names that came to my mind.

Astonishing Member

I like most of Humberto Ramos art.

Humberto Ramos, Ryan Stegman, and Marcos Martin are probably the most important of all the Spider-Man artists this decade at least, pretty much thanks to their versatility and notoriety.

Even though most of his biggest projects were in the 90s and 2000s, I think you could probably throw Mark Bagley on that list too, since he's someone who continues to show up here and there while consistently putting out great work.

I would include Sara Pichelli and Robbi Rodriguez, not only for co-creating the two biggest Spider characters of this decade, but helping to completely define each character's books overall tone with their unique styles. (Not to mention both artists' ended up acting as creative consultants on Into The Spider-Verse and their art DIRECTLY influenced that film's look, so that alone is worth alot of attention).

Chris Bachalo is also someone who's continued to show up in various Spidey stories and has his unique style that always stands out, so I'd say he's noteworthy with that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Humberto Ramos, Ryan Stegman, and Marcos Martin are probably the most important of all the Spider-Man artists this decade at least, pretty much thanks to their versatility and notoriety.

Even though most of his biggest projects were in the 90s and 2000s, I think you could probably throw Mark Bagley on that list too, since he's someone who continues to show up here and there while consistently putting out great work.

I would include Sara Pichelli and Robbi Rodriguez, not only for co-creating the two biggest Spider characters of this decade, but helping to completely define each character's books overall tone with their unique styles. (Not to mention both artists' ended up acting as creative consultants on Into The Spider-Verse and their art DIRECTLY influenced that film's look, so that alone is worth alot of attention).

Chris Bachalo is also someone who's continued to show up in various Spidey stories and has his unique style that always stands out, so I'd say he's noteworthy with that.
    Oh yeah, Robbi Rodriquez's art for Spider-Gwen, with Rico Renzi's colors, is a game-changer.

The Spider-Gwen outfit is one of the best new costumes designed this decade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Who do you guys think was the best Spider-Man artist of the 2010s?

I realized I don't have an immediate answer.

For context, Spider-Man comics out in January 2010 included Amazing Spider-Man #617 (Gauntlet: The Rhino), and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #6 (the conclusion of a Mysterio arc) so any work by artists since then is fair game.

I'm a big fan of Marcos Martin, but he wasn't all that prolific (some short stories with Stan Lee, Gauntlet: Mysterio, No One Dies, Dan Slott's last issue)

Ryan Stegman is probably my favorite artist to have his Spider-Man debut this decade, and has had interesting runs on Scarlet Spider, Superior Spider-Man and Venom. Ryan Ottley has also been quite impressive.

Humberto Ramos has been prolific, telling big (and good) stories with Slott and Spencer.

Sara Pichelli is consistently incredible.

Who is the best of this group in the last ten years, and who am I missing?
    One name that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet (if he has, I missed it) is Giuseppe Camuncoli. Love that guy, definitely one of my favorite Spidey artists of the past decade.

There's been an embarrassment of riches, art-wise, when it comes to Spidey in the 2010's so I wouldn't even try to pick who was the best. You could make a strong case for any number of the artists who've worked on the character in the past ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Humberto Ramos is my only answer to this question. His work on Slott's run and Spencer's run showed his growth as an artist and as a storyteller. He has consistently delivered quality work and his style for me is synonymous with the Web-Slinger.
    This is where I am at. Ramos had the kind of high quality originality you only see with a McFarlane or Romita, typically. Whenever I think of the Slott era, Ramos is right there as the artist most associated. A lot of the others, while good, aren't all that original in style and approach.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Concurring with everyone who says Ryan Stegman, though most of the other artists mentioned are great, too, especially Sara Pichelli and Robbi Rodriguez . . . though on that note, I'd throw in David Marquez, too, who did an excellent job on Miles Morales after succeeding Pichelli.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Marcos Martin, without question.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Oh yeah, Robbi Rodriquez's art for Spider-Gwen, with Rico Renzi's colors, is a game-changer.

The Spider-Gwen outfit is one of the best new costumes designed this decade.
    Spider-Gwen's distinctive visuals helped the character's cause. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse did a great job bringing those to the big screen in her origin scene.

Astonishing Member

Stuart Immonem and Stefano Casseli are the two artist that are among the best Spider-Man artistīs of the Decade with Marcos Martin,Humberto Ramos,Ryan Stegmann and Giuseppe Camuncoli.
    Dunno about who is the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Stuart Immonem and Stefano Casseli are the two artist that are among the best Spider-Man artistīs of the Decade with Marcos Martin,Humberto Ramos,Ryan Stegmann and Giuseppe Camuncoli.
    Dunno about who is the best though.
    Stuart Immonen was someone I thought about mentioning, but I left off just because while he's a fantastic artist and did some excellent work, he just doesn't connect directly to Spider-Man as much as the other artists to me. Like for Ramos, Stegman, Martin, Picheli, Rodriguez, Bagley, etc., even when they aren't doing Spider-Man, I still think about the character and their previous work whenever I see their other art.

Adam Kubert's another example. He's done some great Spidey stuff this decade, but I don't immediately think of him as being synonymous with Spider-Man.