Page 857 of 985 FirstFirst ... 357757807847853854855856857858859860861867907957 ... LastLast
Results 12,841 to 12,855 of 14769
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    that's not how I read the post. He's saying that the parents have spent $833 k on hospital bills for a child that is sick with a disease that he would not have contracted had the parents allowed him to have the common series of childhood vaccinations.
    I screwed up on the words a bit (typical Doogie... hey, that's how I earned this nickname), but the story is that the child became the first case of tetanus in the state of Oregon in over 30 years, costing that family over $833,000 in medical bills, and when they tried to give him shots to ensure that stuff like this won't happen again, they practically begged the medical facility not to do it, even though all of this would clearly be avoidable had they given him said shots in the first place.

My point was that I get irritated as hell whenever people who are "anti-vaccination" bring up what they justify as measures against sticking needles in their children, and it often boils down to "I don't want my kid to get autism", which is such malarkey that I can't help but to openly mock your stance. The origin of this belief came from a discredited report from a UK research paper in the 1990s, but misinformation is hard to squash, and when even celebrities find it vogue, Billy Bunghole here will think it's passe to stick it to decades of medical progress because of some "oogie boogie" nonsense.

Sorry if I got steamed. It's just that autism is a mental disorder, not a disease. You can't "cure" autism. Mental disabilities are with you for the rest of your life, but they can easily be managed with therapy and education, which is something people would rather not invest in.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I screwed up on the words a bit (typical Doogie... hey, that's how I earned this nickname), but the story is that the child became the first case of tetanus in the state of Oregon in over 30 years, costing that family over $833,000 in medical bills, and when they tried to give him shots to ensure that stuff like this won't happen again, they practically begged the medical facility not to do it, even though all of this would clearly be avoidable had they given him said shots in the first place.

My point was that I get irritated as hell whenever people who are "anti-vaccination" bring up what they justify as measures against sticking needles in their children, and it often boils down to "I don't want my kid to get autism", which is such malarkey that I can't help but to openly mock your stance. The origin of this belief came from a discredited report from a UK research paper in the 1990s, but misinformation is hard to squash, and when even celebrities find it vogue, Billy Bunghole here will think it's passe to stick it to decades of medical progress because of some "oogie boogie" nonsense.

Sorry if I got steamed. It's just that autism is a mental disorder, not a disease. You can't "cure" autism. Mental disabilities are with you for the rest of your life, but they can easily be managed with therapy and education, which is something people would rather not invest in.
    The anti-vaxxer movement isn't about autism or possible side effects of vaccines, its about assholes who think their children are their personal property that they could whatever they want with.

Honestly, that take doesn't feel much different than that you appear to be saying "They should have wanted their child not to get tetanus." in this instance.

To me, I can't see the folks who stick to that the entire increase in Autism must have been vaccines while ignoring things that point to that there may be other situations that created the increase. Never mind that one hundred percent of vaccinated children are not autistic.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    The anti-vaxxer movement isn't about autism or possible side effects of vaccines, its about assholes who think their children are their personal property that they could whatever they want with.
    Also, how many of them were vaccinated when they were children?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Honestly, that take doesn't feel much different than that you appear to be saying "They should have wanted their child not to get tetanus." in this instance.

To me, I can't see the folks who stick to that the entire increase in Autism must have been vaccines while ignoring things that point to that there may be other situations that created the increase. Never mind that one hundred percent of vaccinated children are not autistic.
    There's more to it than that, such as how we've seen a rise in illnesses that can be easily managed by immunization treatments, and how being in proximity to those that aren't vaccinated can put those who even are at risk. I'm not that good with making cases, so you're never going to see me be the head of a campaign or a movement, but whenever I listen to people's dumbass arguments against doing what they should be doing in the first place, most of the time, I keep hearing the same rhetoric so many times that I want to start hitting my head against a wall again.

There's more to it than that, such as how we've seen a rise in illnesses that can be easily managed by immunization treatments, and how being in proximity to those that aren't vaccinated can put those who even are at risk. I'm not that good with making cases, so you're never going to see me be the head of a campaign or a movement, but whenever I listen to people's dumbass arguments against doing what they should be doing in the first place, most of the time, I keep hearing the same rhetoric so many times that I want to start hitting my head against a wall again.
    Sure.

I just don't see a clear enough case for that vaccinations are enough of an actual cause where there should even be a serious discussion about that there is a justification for potential spread of infectious diseases based on the actual threat that vaccinations represents.

It would be one thing if there was even something like a case for vaccinations being the most likely reason for the rise people are talking about. As far as I can tell, there isn't even a good solid "Maybe?" for the "Anti" crowd to point to.

A Republican mayor in Maine resigned on Friday after a woman he was having an affair with released a racist text message he sent her, according to several local media reports.

Shane Bouchard, the mayor of Lewiston, Maine, referred to elderly black people as “antique farm equipment,” according to the local Sun Journal citing messages that his girlfriend Heather Berube Everly made public. Bouchard resigned Friday morning and told a local CBS affiliate that he made mistakes and was not a “perfect person.”
    But a Democrat wore a t-shirt that suggested a personal preference for open borders once.

Remember that White House communications director that stepped down yesterday to run Trump's 2020 election campaign?
    His wife went on an insane Twitter rant last month about how Measles makes you tough, and kids today are just too soft.
    Funny how the crazies all seem connected.

Your kind of right and wrong there at the same time. Autism isnt so much a mental health issue but an actual genetic disorder which effects the brain and thus the mind. Not that the Anti-vaxxers care much since their so idiotic. No injection can alter your genetic structure, if it could we'd have Captain Americas running around right now.

The annoying thing as well is Autism has such fluctuating levels, people automatically think of the worst. I've a friend who's autistic and I didn't even realise he wasn't just an edgy teen till someone later said to me "Yeah he's got autism".

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    But a Democrat wore a t-shirt that suggested a personal preference for open borders once.
    Mets is trying to demonize my party and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The massage parlor story has now moved from "rich people get a happy ending" to "Human trafficker is selling access to White House".

A scandal that won't matter, but would have ended every other government in any actual democracy around the world.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The massage parlor story has now moved from "rich people get a happy ending" to "Human trafficker is selling access to White House".

A scandal that won't matter, but would have ended every other government in any actual democracy around the world.
    Everywhere but here as Republicans happily look the other way while all this skullduggery goes down because they care more about being in power than serving the Constitution or even common decency.

====================

Trump Lashes Out Against ‘Wacky Nut Job’ Ann Coulter Over Border Wall Criticism

Coulter, a right-wing pundit and former Trump supporter, has officially crossed the line with the president. Looks like that romance is officially on the rocks. When it comes to a pissing match between Trump and Coulter, I'm hoping for mutually assured destruction.

Elizabeth Warren: Fox News ‘Looks Like A Propaganda Machine’

The senator raised concerns about the network “operating as an arm of the Trump campaign and then the Trump administration.” Yo, Liz! Hate to break it to you, but you're late to the party! Faux News has been acting as Trump's personal ego stroking device since he declared his candidacy in 2015!

Furor Surrounding Ilhan Omar Remarks Intensifies National Debate Over Israel

Activists have been criticizing Israeli policies towards Palestinians long before the Minnesota congresswoman.

Trump To Request Significant Funds For Border Wall, Space Force In New Budget

The budget includes cuts that would hit mandatory safety net programs, which the president has proposed in the past.

Cory Booker ‘Really Ticked Off’ About Paul Manafort’s Sentence

“One of my friends says we have a criminal justice system that treats you better if you’re rich and guilty than if you’re poor and innocent.” Don't forget to add if you're white instead of black.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

My local paper wrote an article about a 17 year old black kid getting a life sentence locally for printing counterfeit money to buy sports equipment for his team but Manafort got 47 months.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My local paper wrote an article about a 17 year old black kid getting a life sentence locally for printing counterfeit money to buy sports equipment for his team but Manafort got 47 months.
    Can you be both a wealthy nation AND a failed state ? Cause frankly America feels like that ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

Obama wears a tan suit and Fox News loses their ****. Trump consorting with a woman involved in human trafficking no big deal.