Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Exiles book

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Saladin Ahmed and Javier Rodriguez are probably the best writer artist combo the x books have assembled in a minute.
    Honestly, that would be the only reason I'd buy this book. Exiles might be fun, but I never read the original series and I feel I'd have to be really invested in the characters to care about things outside our universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Why do fans get so triggered by women with short hair? It's extremely homophobic.
    I might not go so far as to say homophobic, but I would say it's sexist. It's complaints about not conforming to gender roles (e.g., the "Carl Manvers" comment above). I don't have a problem in general with people liking or disliking character redesigns, but the fact that it is not only the first bit of conversation but consistent conversation only for female characters with short hair says something. Who's the last male character that anyone discussed their hair? Mullet Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I tried, and I used to like her, but these days, she just has a rotten attitude to everybody she interacts with, and I can't see the reason for any of it. She might be okay in her title, but she was the worst part of Avengers and the worst part of Champions and the worst part of Secret Warriors.
    I'd probably suggest her own book to get a true sense of her personality. It helps, not only that G. Willow Wilson is writing her, but she has an internal monologue. I thought she's fine in Secret Warriors. She's a bit judgmental of people who are torturing and killing other people but, aside from that, she just came off as more "quirky fan girl" than anything else. She tended to do a lot of the comic relief since Rosenberg isn't likely to be able to do much character development for someone else's character.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Nah. Turns out her mother is Algerian and also black. Plus being French is just a nationality.
    We're badly off topic, but I'm not sure Algerians are necessarily black. They're berber peoples which often have more Arabic complexions. Not necessarily exclusively. Certainly, there's a bad tendency to make Monet lighter and lighter, which isn't appropriate, but I also don't think the western either/or dichotomy is correct.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Is it too much to hope we'll learn the whereabouts of Morph, Nocturne and the rest of the Exiles that are MIA
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    Is it too much to hope we'll learn the whereabouts of Morph, Nocturne and the rest of the Exiles that are MIA
    But Nocturne isn't MiA. She and Thunderbird are presumably off raising their child in the universe they ended up in at the end of the first volume.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    But Nocturne isn't MiA. She and Thunderbird are presumably off raising their child in the universe they ended up in at the end of the first volume.
    Except that universe probably got destroyed during the lead up to Secret Wars and Reed wouldn’t know that they were there with a child so he probably just put them back where they originally belonged.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Except that universe probably got destroyed during the lead up to Secret Wars and Reed wouldn’t know that they were there with a child so he probably just put them back where they originally belonged.
    Only there would be no point in bringing back AoA Blink if she wasn't going to have her memories and AoA history so I kinda doubt it. Plus, Franklin is Omniscient.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The more I look at this team, the more I'm ready for this title. Mr Ahmed and Rodriguez w/ Marquez on cover duties is a wonderful creative team. I absolutely trust them with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    We're badly off topic, but I'm not sure Algerians are necessarily black. They're berber peoples which often have more Arabic complexions. Not necessarily exclusively. Certainly, there's a bad tendency to make Monet lighter and lighter, which isn't appropriate, but I also don't think the western either/or dichotomy is correct.
    The lighter Monet gets, the more years get shaved off my life. I wish she was drawn with actual dark skin like in Bachalo/Dodson era Gen X.

Mighty Member

The more I look at this team, the more I'm ready for this title. Mr Ahmed and Rodriguez w/ Marquez on cover duties is a wonderful creative team. I absolutely trust them with this.

The lighter Monet gets, the more years get shaved off my life. I wish she was drawn with actual dark skin like in Bachalo/Dodson era Gen X.
    Haha.. I feel you. Why do folks have to play so fast and loose with their melanin. Let Berto and Monet be great..

BANNED

Sigh. We finally get back some Exiles and this is the line-up? How disappointing. Blink is the saving grace of the group. Old Man Logan, Nocturne, Kymera and Ruby Summers all would've been better additions than Elder Kamala, Wolvie & Iron Lad.

Astonishing Member

I think the real origin of the Monet "problem" is Lobdell or Bachalo thinking all Africa is the same. If they had made her father from Senegal or Ivory Coast she would have been drawn black always, consistently.
    Because they chose Algeria, many artists draw her lighter because of how your average French-Algerian person looks. Also, because of the Algerian heritage, PAD retconned her as a muslim, even though she has a French surname that means Holy Cross, celebrated Christmas, and you could never deduce that from her behaviour in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Haha.. I feel you. Why do folks have to play so fast and loose with their melanin. Let Berto and Monet be great..
    It sucks that artists, colorists, and writers have to be reminded of characters' ethnicity and skin tone. I mean, looking at Sunspot in Young X-Men or early drafts of US Avengers, you'd mistake him for white. And PAD didn't give a flying damn of Monet was white or anything near it until he got a crapton of complaints. Great we have Saladin who actually remembers Blink's blackness andn heritage and not just writing her off as white or Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I think the real origin of the Monet "problem" is Lobdell or Bachalo thinking all Africa is the same. If they had made her father from Senegal or Ivory Coast she would have been drawn black always, consistently.
    Because they chose Algeria, many artists draw her lighter because of how your average French-Algerian person looks. Also, because of the Algerian heritage, PAD retconned her as a muslim, even though she has a French surname that means Holy Cross, celebrated Christmas, and you could never deduce that from her behaviour in any way.
    Well depends on when in time you're looking at Algeria. But the retcon with her being Muslim was PAD trying to look like a hero for a community. But having it comically fail just by looking at her name is so great it should be in a top ten list for something. Lobdell also should've taken more time to actually research the country before blindly picking it out of a hat. Kind of like Claremont with Storm.

The secret character could be Jane Foster after her "death" in Thor. If it was Angela, there would be no reason to keep it hidden.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Spectacular Member

I'm a huge Exiles fan, have almost every trade of vol 1. I'm going to pass and Blink looks nothing like my old Clarice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Someone better tell Kitty she can't call herself a Jew anymore since she's celebrated Christmas and had extramarital sex. And of course everyone is accurately described by their surname. That's why Iceman is a dragon.

Spectacular Member

Grizzled old woman Kamala + chibi Wolverine sounds like the perfect, hilarious combination to me
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Blink's black? Were there pictures of her before her mutation or pics of her parents?

And don't tell me she's black because she's from the Bahamas, that'd be dumb.