Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

But if they stop floppies, how will I know what I can do to stop that fool from kicking dirt in my face and taking all the girls?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    A few other pro/cons for digital.

Pro: storage space. I have dozens of long boxes full of comics. They take up a lot of space and are in my basement. And as nice as that basement is, I still have to worry about water damage, mold, etc. It's a semi-nice basement, but it's still a basement and I live in New England. With digital, none of that is a problem.

Pro: Finding your comics. You all know how long it takes to find a particular issue when you've got dozens of boxes. If you're like me, not all those boxes are organized as well as they should be, and if you're like me then you've also got a bunch of random bags floating around the house, full of weekly comic purchases you haven't put away at all yet. With digital, everything is sorted for you, making it super easy to find what you're looking for. I find that I re-read my digital comics more than my printed ones, in large part because of this.

Con: Aside from not actually owning the comic, if your device crashes it can be a problem.
    Back in 2012-2014 I read almost everything digitally, and then my tablet went insane. I uninstalled Comixology, re-installed it, and then it wouldn't take my user ID. I don't have a ton of patience with technology and this was a huge pain in my ass. When I *finally* got the problems straightened out (I forget what happened, something glitched hard in my OS I think and I had to wipe the whole thing), I had to re-download all my comics. Many of them still thought they were still downloaded and refused to download again. I ended up "losing" a lot of books; WildCATS volume 4, Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, and I don't remember what else. That's never happened again, and I liken it to losing a longbox to water damage, but it still pissed me off. After that, I went back to buying mostly print. I still read some books in digital and I still prefer that format to print (largely for ease of use) but it made me wary of putting too much on my device. But again, that only happened once, and I've lost more printed books (that were worth more money) to water damage or whatever.

Con: No re-sale value. I'm not one of those collectors who buy comics with the intent of selling them later. But every decade or so, I do cull my printed collection just to make more room in the basement. I bring the books I don't want to keep back to my LCS and sell them for store credit. Can't do that with digital. Of course, that's a super minor "con" for most of us since I doubt anyone on CBR is a speculator.
    Or your device is on an operating system that is no longer updated.

I bought a used IPAD to just watch movies and give the phone and desktop a rest.

While Marvel app works.

Netflix, Hulu, TUBITV and many other apps don't work. Heck you can't even go to the web browser to watch Hulu. So it's going back eventually (I got 6 months).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    But if they stop floppies, how will I know what I can do to stop that fool from kicking dirt in my face and taking all the girls?
    This is why you always carry a knife! Kind of hard to kick sand in your face with just one eye!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Or your device is on an operating system that is no longer updated.
    Or that too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If download option is available, then the books can be stored in a cloud or back up har disk. For those of you who think the data corruption is a problem. Unlike hard copies, softcopies can be multiple and there is wealth of space in the current world.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Then you have not bothered to read any of the many posts here with explanations from people about why they will not read digital. Or you have and decided they are lying.
    Great post, Cranger! I don't want to get into a war of words with other posters on here (where does that ever get us?)...I think that almost everyone on this forum loves comic books. Some prefer the digital only, some prefer actual physical comic books while other camps enjoy a cocktail of those two. The one thing that unites all of us is our ultimate love of the kooky world of comics. It does however irritate one to be told that- after four plus decades of loyal monthly support of comics and comic stores - that if you as a fan do not jump on the "digital or nothing" bandwagon then you are a speculator or fair weather fan. We could flip that argument around...but where does that get anyone? Let's just say that, with all due respect, that we must agree to disagree. I feel there is room in comics for BOTH models, not just one or the other.
    Last edited by Stingo; 03-26-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If download option is available, then the books can be stored in a cloud or back up har disk. For those of you who think the data corruption is a problem. Unlike hard copies, softcopies can be multiple and there is wealth of space in the current world.
    I used to back up all my music. Well, not all, I never got that far. But a lot. Used to back up the back up. Formats changed so I had to move the backups over to new ones. Over time I was backing up less stuff as transfer times became a problem, and even space. Eventually I just stopped worrying about it and could not tell you the state of my 'digital collection'. The few things I only had digitally are probably gone. I still have all those CDs though and a slowly growing vinyl collection that have required almost no work at all to still be there.

edit: I don't mean to say those steps cannot be taken, but personally backing up stuff was not a commitment I was ready for.
    Last edited by cranger; 03-26-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Consider this a like in spirit!

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the answers, guys, it illuminates my options a bit better. I suppose I will wind up trying it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Pros:
    • No ads
    Reading digitally is like browsing with an adblocker. I find print comics sort of jarring now.

For those worried about their digital copies disappearing, Image offers DRM-free downloads for backup, if you're so inclined. DC and Marvel should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Reading digitally is like browsing with an adblocker. I find print comics sort of jarring now.

For those worried about their digital copies disappearing, Image offers DRM-free downloads for backup, if you're so inclined. DC and Marvel should do the same.
    I never knew how annoying the ads in print copies were until I started reading digital. Going back to print I was like "wow, this sucks" lol

I don't worry anymore about my digital comics disappearing. I used to when Comixology was a standalone company, but now that Amazon owns them...well, Amazon isn't going anywhere. I did break my Kindle Fire 10 tablet about a year ago (my fault), and when I ordered a replacement I had to re-download everything. It wasn't so bad though, I just clicked my download buttons and went to sleep. In the morning, my books were ready to go.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

DC is saying things are business as usual

Not sure exactly what this means though

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I used to back up all my music. Well, not all, I never got that far. But a lot. Used to back up the back up. Formats changed so I had to move the backups over to new ones. Over time I was backing up less stuff as transfer times became a problem, and even space. Eventually I just stopped worrying about it and could not tell you the state of my 'digital collection'. The few things I only had digitally are probably gone. I still have all those CDs though and a slowly growing vinyl collection that have required almost no work at all to still be there.

edit: I don't mean to say those steps cannot be taken, but personally backing up stuff was not a commitment I was ready for.
    This reminds me of something else...
    Digital can also help me be selective, making the physical copies feel more 'important'.
    Especially if using a sub service, like DC Universe, Marvel Unlimited, Spotify or Netflix.

I don't waste space or money on the works that don't really connect with me.
    And the ones that do, if I get a physical copy it's because I really liked it.

I may end up with fewer physical items in my collection, but those items were meticulously curated.

I do have some physical books on my wishlist from the last ten years: Future Quest, Batman '66 and Scooby Doo Team-Up.
    Pretty much all I really cared for in recent years.
    I just haven't felt compelled enough to get them, yet.
    More important things come up. Maybe once we move to a bigger house.

I also need to figure out how much to get per year, so that my other half won't say, 'If you're buying those, why are we subscribing to the service?'
    Because dropping the service would defeat the purpose of the curating.
    And I'd be back at square one, wasting more money.

But when I do buy physical again, at least I won't be wasting money on trying out a ton of books I don't like, like I did with New52.
    I'll have a list of books I know I like.

I'm conditioned now to be able to see, hear or read anything completely before deciding on if it's something I want to own.
    A monthly subscription charge is but a small price to pay for that privilege.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    DC is saying things are business as usual

Not sure exactly what this means though
    Answer might be in the comments of this article:

So What Happens To Comics Next Wednesday? April Fool?
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...ay-april-fool/
    One commenter says that both DC and Marvel are still doing direct subscriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bain Show
    I've received word via chat that my direct subscribed titles from Marvel and DC will arrive as normal for the month of April. Those are already printed and have been processed. This includes Batman and Detective Comics.

So I should have Batman #92 and #93 next month.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Answer might be in the comments of this article:

So What Happens To Comics Next Wednesday? April Fool?
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...ay-april-fool/
    One commenter says that both DC and Marvel are still doing direct subscriptions.
    Artgerm showed off his comp copies of his Punchline Variant on his Instagram and that's supposed to come out on the 1st. So apparently there are some books that have been printed and sitting for their release date. Just which ones and how many of them is another question.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans